Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

Circa late 70's White Plains FD Segrave pumper Photo

5 posts in this topic

Picture taken on the ramp of Station 1,Old Mam'k Road.

The rig is a 1955 Seagrave which was in reserve status at the time. Originally assigned to station 5 , Robertson Ave.

post-23-0-61576200-1339260216.jpg

Additional White Plains FD photos on this previous thread.http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php/topic/40515-white-plains-fd-updated-ladder-33-tiller-working/

Thanks!

Having grown up in White Plains in the 1950s and 60s (the "old" White Plains) it's great to see Engine 69 again. I remember well when the company was still in service.

Back in the early 1960s -- before they started buying Maxims -- WPFD had several Seagraves. In addition to Eng 69 (Sta 5), there were similar Seagraves at Sta 3 (Eng 67) and at Sta 7 (Eng 71). IIRC everything else was ALFs. The other four engine companies and all three trucks.

They don't make Fire Trucks like that anymore

Yes, WPFD had four Seagraves, the one pictured as well as Eng. 67 were 1,000 GPM with 300 gallon tanks.

The other two, Eng. 65 & 71 were 750 GPM with 150 gallon tanks.

One of the 750s was retired to Fairview for either reserve/ parade duty.

tommyguy and TR54 like this

At some point in the mid-1960s was Engine 65 operating with an American-LaFrance?

I recall seeing them -- as a fire engine chasing kid back in WP -- probably for the first time, at a brush fire on Lake Street near the West Harrison border. The brush fire began to extend into some type of outdoor supply yard (been a long time) and Engine 67 requested an additional engine. It was 65.

This would've been around 1965-66.

Engine 67 had to stretch quite a ways to get to the fire and they couldn't hear the radio transmissions. The firefighter with the rig told me and another kid, "Tell them they're sending Engine 65."

That was a red letter day! :)