Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dadbo46

Brewster - Multiple Alarm Fire 6/15/2012

36 posts in this topic

Grumpyff- Thanks for the info, I am sure you did a great job today. I actually went early this AM to NYC to fix my camera, and then we headed up to Cape Cod, Mass. If I was home I would of went and took some shots, but it is what it is.

I hope all remained safe, and feel terrible for all who lost things in the fire. Good luck to the owners and what they are going to do with it now..

Edited by x4093k
ichie 3120 likes this

No sprinkler system;no hydrants;one fire division cider block wall(floor level ,extending 2 feet above the roof,placed one third from the exp.3 side of fire bldg. The division fire wall did its job, and prevented the fire from extending past it. Would have been nice to have had the very long bldg. divided up w/ more than that one wall (sprinklers would have been great,too). No one was allowed on the roof, which was metal trusses, and light-weight Q-decking on top.This was a very challenging fire due to numerous factors: smoke showing from numerous storage units (all locked w/ no master key) upon arrival;delayed alarm due to workmen reportedly trying to extinguish it themselves;no hydrants;limited manpower due to being a daytime/weekday fire. If you have any of these type of occupancies in your district, definitely have a pre-plan,which includes heavy emphasis on forcible entry of many units ASAP,and LOTS of manpower to find;confine;extinguish. It is a very hard type of fire to "look good at". Bottom line- nobody hurt;fire stopped at fire wall;insurance will rebuild bldg- occupants loss, is another question- don't know if they needed "renters insurance".

Stay safe!

grumpyff, TAPSJ, x4093k and 1 other like this

I should add the last photo my son took of carmel's ladder is the number 3 exposure of the fire building

Edited by grumpyff

Jeez....who would have thought? YEARS ago, when a storage facility was being built locally, I asked to buy a few new saws with metal blades, a duck bill lock breaker, peircing nozzles, and a few other goodies that would prove to be useful in these types of fires I was told, "metal containers don't burn!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Atv300, grumpyff and SageVigiles like this