Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NHFD21255

**RESOLVED** Fla FF's told to take American flags off trucks

9 posts in this topic

http://www.theblaze....m-their-trucks/

Residents of Seminole, Florida are outraged after their local firefighters were reportedly told to remove the American flags from their trucks.

“There was an [order] from a chief to remove all flags from the apparatus”, one of the protesters explained.

But the order had nothing to do with safety, nor with the quality of the flags being flown. They were not tattered or worn, according to reports.

sfrd18 and Westfield12 like this

So what happens when they order a new Sutphen ladder and it's already built into the grill? What will he do then, paint over it? lol what a joke!

Westfield12, 2231* and sfrd18 like this

"I'm not so sure that (the flag) was ever an issue," Edmunds said. "I've taken the position that it's not really so much a flag issue as it is an employee issue of taking liberties with city property without departmental approval. … There's a misconception that we had flags on all our vehicles and we've removed them. That's not the case."

I doubt the flags were freshly installed by crews, how about just getting the proper flags and mounts, put them on and not create an environment of potential hostility and also getting bad press.

The issue isn't that the Chief or Department didn't want flags, they wanted them displayed properly after citizen complaints that they were being displayed in a manner considered improper by the US Flag Code. This got so sensationalized so quickly. The Department allowed members to propose a policy/plan that would ensure the flags were displayed properly and, according to the Department, nobody cared enough to come up with one. That's on them.

We had large American flags on some of our rigs up until recently. We noticed that they were blocking braking and turning signals plus warning lights and decided to remove them. While I think it looks good you can easily have a painted one on the side of your rig and not compromise safety. Our recent deliveries have all had a flag painted on the side.

We had large American flags on some of our rigs up until recently. We noticed that they were blocking braking and turning signals plus warning lights and decided to remove them. While I think it looks good you can easily have a painted one on the side of your rig and not compromise safety. Our recent deliveries have all had a flag painted on the side.

Doesn't Ladder 48 and TL 18 have them on the front and sides?

Yes and also Engine 183