Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FFFORD

Bermuda Fire Photo's

10 posts in this topic

After graduating PA school on the 11th, I took a small trip to Bermuda. Definitely needed a getaway to lay low and relax after studying my butt off these past couple years. While I was down there I stopped by the local FD and grabbed a couple quick shots. I was pressed for time so I wasn't there long. One FF came out and was very happy to talk to me and show me the rig, very nice guy. Anyways - just thought i'd share.

This station only had one rig at the time. I asked a little bit about what they usually see on a regular basis. Per the FF, they mostly respond to MVAs and MCA. I was told there is at least one fatal a week on the island with all the small streets and motorcycle/scooter drivers. Mix a little EToH, cell phones, speed and you get the picture. As for structure fires, he told me it is usually a room and contents type deal. Home construction on the island is usually a noncombustible type material and limestone roofs. All roof's are Limestone as they use it to catch rain water for home use.

I didn't have time to get into all the gear/tools/whatnot so here's what I grabbed.

Bermuda Fire Service - Port Royal Station (main headquarters are located in Hamilton Bermuda, didn't make it there)

station.jpg

200? Spartan/Dependable - 25' long, I believe he said 60 gallons of foam and 2 maybe 300 gallons of water. I can't remember exactly. :huh:

truck1.jpg

truck2.jpg

Police/Rescue boat I saw in Dockyard - I wasn't able to get a better shot than this one.

policeboat.jpg

Enjoy

Mike

sfrd18, jfmuller, firedude and 8 others like this

awesome! thanks for sharing. Bermuda is a beautiful place.Hamilton is a really fun city, next time you go make sure you get there, you wont be disappointed.I was lucky enough to have gone in 2001 when the ships were small enough to dock right off the main road in Hamilton.

Great shots...thanks.

"All roof's are Limestone as they use it to catch rain water for home use."

if I am not mistaken that is in their building code to catch and keep water in a barrel for firefighting purposes. Beautiful country especially Horseshoe Bay.

Mike,

1st off, congrats on your graduation. You definitely deserved a getaway for sure.

Nice shots and thanks for sharing. Always interesting to see other Countries apparatus.

Glad you had a nice relaxing vacation.

After graduating PA school on the 11th, I took a small trip to Bermuda. Definitely needed a getaway to lay low and relax after studying my butt off these past couple years. While I was down there I stopped by the local FD and grabbed a couple quick shots. I was pressed for time so I wasn't there long. One FF came out and was very happy to talk to me and show me the rig, very nice guy. Anyways - just thought i'd share.

This station only had one rig at the time. I asked a little bit about what they usually see on a regular basis. Per the FF, they mostly respond to MVAs and MCA. I was told there is at least one fatal a week on the island with all the small streets and motorcycle/scooter drivers. Mix a little EToH, cell phones, speed and you get the picture. As for structure fires, he told me it is usually a room and contents type deal. Home construction on the island is usually a noncombustible type material and limestone roofs. All roof's are Limestone as they use it to catch rain water for home use.

I didn't have time to get into all the gear/tools/whatnot so here's what I grabbed.

Bermuda Fire Service - Port Royal Station (main headquarters are located in Hamilton Bermuda, didn't make it there)

station.jpg

200? Spartan/Dependable - 25' long, I believe he said 60 gallons of foam and 2 maybe 300 gallons of water. I can't remember exactly. :huh:

truck1.jpg

truck2.jpg

Police/Rescue boat I saw in Dockyard - I wasn't able to get a better shot than this one.

policeboat.jpg

Enjoy

Mike

Awseome pics! Thanks for showing them.

Nice photos, thanks for sharing and congrats on PA school!

No problem. And Thank you!

Nice shots

Thanks!

awesome! thanks for sharing. Bermuda is a beautiful place.Hamilton is a really fun city, next time you go make sure you get there, you wont be disappointed.I was lucky enough to have gone in 2001 when the ships were small enough to dock right off the main road in Hamilton.

No problem. Yes Bermuda is pretty cool. I did go in to Hamilton, in my original post I just meant that I didn't make it to the Hamilton Department. I went to some bars and restaurants in Hamilton, all were awesome, just expensive!!! There was actually one cruise ship in Hamilton when I was there. It was a smaller cruise ship, but still a cruise ship! There is talk of trying to build a new dock for cruise ships in St. Georges as well.

Great shots...thanks.

NP! glad you liked them

"All roof's are Limestone as they use it to catch rain water for home use."

if I am not mistaken that is in their building code to catch and keep water in a barrel for firefighting purposes. Beautiful country especially Horseshoe Bay.

Yessir. I didn't see a roof that wasn't limestone. I don't know if they catch for both home use and, if needed, FD use, but it certainly would make sense. I would put my money on it that they and the FD would use it in the event of a fire.

I really wish I had time to get more shots. I would have liked to see the gear they use and a bit more of the apparatus. I was just really really pressed for time and the person driving us around was doing us a HUGE favor so I didn't want to abuse it. I was literally in and out in less than 5 minutes. I was thinking of everyone here at EMTBravo!

Thank you all about the props on graduating PA school! It was an incredibly hard journey and I'm just glad I made it. To say it was one hell of a ride is to say the least. As much as I love the fire service, medicine was my calling. I started EMS through my town's explorer post at 14 y/o, was an EMT at 16, and have been riding the rigs ever since. As I would bring patients into the hospital, every time I handed pt care over to a PA it seemed like they would find the time to pull me aside and teach me something new: be it skill or knowledge. So after graduating high school, I knew what I wanted to do. I joined the fire department just before I began college. I will certainly never EVER forget where I came from. I wouldn't be where I am today without the help I received from so many in both Fire and EMS. I will do my best to repay the favor to those I cross as I start working! Big shocker - I will be practicing Emergency medicine.

I am still going to keep up my EMT cert to ride EMS and will remain an active member with the Shelton Fire Department.

-Mike

grad1.jpg

Edited by FFFORD

Mike,

1st off, congrats on your graduation. You definitely deserved a getaway for sure.

Nice shots and thanks for sharing. Always interesting to see other Countries apparatus.

Glad you had a nice relaxing vacation.

Hey man! long time no see! Did you guys have that big party up in VT yet??? I haven't forgotten about that! haha. I'm due for a trip up soon. One place wants to interview me for an ED position in southern VT! i'll keep you posted. Thank you for the congrats. Reality hasn't even set in yet! Glad you liked the photos.

Awseome pics! Thanks for showing them.

NP! thanks!