Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Spartan's New Advanced Occupant Protection Sytems

4 posts in this topic

Do any departments put occupant protection systems as a priority or a must when spec'ing new apparatus?

The Spartan Advanced Protection System (APS) is an unequaled occupant restraint system developed specifically for Emergency Response vehicles. APS includes additional airbag positions, supersized side curtain airbags, advanced seat belts and outboard sensors that enable an intelligent restraint control module. APS provides best-in-class protection against frontal impact, rollover, side impact and occupant ejection; because protection moving to and from the scene is every bit as important as what is available on-scene.

http://www.spartanchassis.com/er/aps/aps.asp

FDNY 10-75 likes this

Firefighter safety should and must be on the top of anyones list. From what I understand Spartan has made this new airbag system a standard on all of their trucks going forward no longer will this be an option. Talking to our Spartan salesmen this seems like a impressive system and the only one that protects against side impacts. Wish this was available when we got our rig.

good video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r20vDwv-Ppw&feature=player_embedded

x635 likes this

The concept is a good one, but it still is 100% dependant on the firefighters wearing seatbelts and having no lose tools, equipment, helmets, radio's etc. in the cab.

I like the idea of protecting the members, but one must have an accepted safety culture with the members or this technology just becomes one more thing to pay for.

By no means am I down playing any of these new features, which are very important, but don't you think the major contributing factor in crashes and the need for protection systems are the sizes of these new rigs? I think its time to stop making these all-in-one rigs and get back to basic Engines and Trucks and you'll probably see less accidents.

Edited by sklov5949