Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ptwatson

Old Ladder at Walters Hot Dog

5 posts in this topic

I was at Walters the other day enjoying their fine fare and was curious of the status of the old ladder truck that is behind the hot dog stand covered in blue tarps. I was wondering if anyone could answer

1. Who owns it

2. Make an year it is

3. Any plans to ever resore it

The family that owns Walters, 1924 or so Seagrave [ former Mamaraneck ladder ] and they have destroyed it by letting it sit there for so long outside .

BFD1054 likes this

Siting outside for so long?

I never remember it NOT being there and I am 65 years old!

I must be made of titanium. Surely it can't be just plain ol' steel.

Then again maybe they dump the griddle grease on it.

Yeah for as long as i can remember it has been sitting there! What a shame that it is destoyed as mentioned. Why on earth would you buy something like that if not to preserve it and restore it?

Found some info on the VMFD web site.....

Hook and Ladder received another new truck in 1927. It was a Seagrave tractor-drawn 75-foot aerial ladder truck, with tiller, and it cost the village $17,500. Its turntable, manually turned, was five feet in diameter and was located at the front of the rear section behind the tractor. It carried 12 ground ladders, one of them a wall ladder that was 32 feet straight.Additional Equipment on board this apparatus, which had an open cab and was painted red, included a life net, which is still kept on the truck floor for use when needed, and a 40-gallon chemical tank with a reel that was capable of holding 250 feet of hose. The truck's turning radius was 27-and-a-half-feet.

One of the most interesting features of the new truck was its 75-foot aerial ladder. The ladder was raised from bed to perpendicular by the expansion of spiral springs enclosed in steel tubes attached to the turntable. Made mostly of wood, the ladder was extended and retracted by a hand crank.A demonstration of the 75-foot aerial ladder truck's capabilities took place on the evening of May 19, 1931 when nearly 300 firemen from Mamaroneck Village, Larchmont and Mamaroneck Town participated in the first combined drill ever held by the three departments of the three municipalities. The drill was called by Chief Don C. Howe of the TMFD and it was held at the Chatsworth Gardens Apartment. Manned by a crew of eight men, the aerial ladder was raised and run up rapidly to the top of the building, and scaled by members of the crew. Chief George Towle headed the LFD and Chief Charles Perschke of Columbia led the MFD volunteers. The 1927 truck made its last run in 1965 when the new tractor-drawn truck arrived. After the 1927 truck was taken out of service it was sold to Eugene Warrington, a member of Hook and Ladder.

Edited by ptwatson
sueg and sfrd18 like this