peterose313

Taking Photos In NYC? You might want to keep a copy of this document with you!

10 posts in this topic

Keep in mind that most of the employees of the Transit System are not aware of this, and will call the police on you. I once got harassed by a TA cleaner until I identified myself.Some police officers on patrol may no be familiar with this Operations Order as well, and may stop you and ask a few questions.

Westfield12 likes this

Keep in mind that most of the employees of the Transit System are not aware of this, and will call the police on you. I once got harassed by a TA cleaner until I identified myself.Some police officers on patrol may no be familiar with this Operations Order as well, and may stop you and ask a few questions.

Which is why it has different rules under rule #3 entitled "Photography on the New York City Transit System" MTA permits all photography and video taping in the subway system. If you are doing a commercial shoot and or using lights and or tripod, you must apply for a press pass. But if you're just hand holding, they don't have an issue.

In the event that a NYPD officer or MTA worker gives you trouble, you can then show them this document explaining everything. Now, this document is dated in 2009 and I'm not sure if things have changed since 9/11. In any course, it's good to have on you just in case.

Also remember Amtrak has different rules than MTA, which can also get you in a jam.

Good point. I'm not sure what Amtrak's rules are for it. I just happened to come across this article and figured it might be a good read for people on this forum.

Edited by peterose313

I am sure that if you get questioned and pull out a pre-printed copy of an operations order and try to tell the polic officer his job he will be very happy.....

It's dated 2009. Are you certain it hasn't been revised, rescinded, or superseded since then? I would be very careful relying on a copy of a 3 1/2 year old document.

Westfield12 likes this

Now, this document is dated in 2009 and I'm not sure if things have changed since 9/11.

Uhmm.... :unsure: I guess you could be referring to 9/11 of 2009, 2010 or 2011, but I'd think the more significant 9/11 happened in 2001 which predates the 2009 NYPD memo. :ph34r:
Westfield12 likes this

It's dated 2009. Are you certain it hasn't been revised, rescinded, or superseded since then? I would be very careful relying on a copy of a 3 1/2 year old document.

Not sure, I saw that myself. I made the same statement in my previous post. As I said earlier, I happened to come across this on facebook when it was shared by Think Tank Photo. I've tried to look for something more current and this particular document is as current as I can find. Perhaps someone whose with NYPD could further clarify this or a mos could call the legal bureau to find more information.

I know the war on photography had stemmed from Mayor Giuliani at the time but since then, the rules have been relaxed due to the amount of complaints, protests and lawsuits (many of which NYC had lost).

Here's an article from 2011 from the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) : http://www.aclu.org/blog/free-speech/it-legal-photograph-or-videotape-police

Uhmm.... :unsure: I guess you could be referring to 9/11 of 2009, 2010 or 2011, but I'd think the more significant 9/11 happened in 2001 which predates the 2009 NYPD memo. :ph34r:

Haha woops. Talk about a brain fart.
antiquefirelt likes this

Its almost an annual thing that a photographer gets arrested in the city. If your not breaking the law such as the guy in the El platform, you might end up with a nice payday.

Also street is pretty much always fair game. You can't be asked to delete photos or show them. However your camera can be confiscated and a judges order can allow the PD to view.

This is always a hot topic... all I suggest is to act polite and professional, most cops will use common sense... some may react differently, but in the latter I would offer to simply delete the images and move on...