SageVigiles

Scanners and Narrowbanding

5 posts in this topic

I'll throw this out there immediately. I know next to nothing about how radios work, so this could be a very stupid question.

Will narrowbanding effect the operation of personally owned scanners? Why/why not?

x4093k likes this

Would you have to buy a new scanner with the additional "narrow" channels?

The simple answer is yes and no. While scanners only pick up one half of a duplex split they would be able to receive a narrow banded channel. Example: Westchester's Fireground freqs are narrow banded and both older and newer version scanners have been able pick them up with no issue for years. The problem comes into play as frequencies start to be issued issued in the "new" 12.5 split and an older scanner may not be pre-programmed to recognize the frequency entered and auto correct it. EG the old 25 split was 155.3100, 155.3250 and with the new 12.5 the split would become 155.3100, 155.3175, 155.3225, 155.3250. On an older non capable scanner entering 155.3175 would see the scanner either auto correct to 155.310 or give you an error message, more than like the first option. I hope this helps.

x635 and firedude like this

I'm no expert but it seems to be the biggest issue with Narrowbanding is the reduction in audio,especially with high band frequencies. My Uniden BCT 15 has a volume offset control which allows me to raise or lower a particular frequency audio according to how loud or low it is. This seems to help a lot especially with The County police and Yorktown PD as well. I don't know what other radios have this feature though.

The simple answer is yes and no. While scanners only pick up one half of a duplex split they would be able to receive a narrow banded channel. Example: Westchester's Fireground freqs are narrow banded and both older and newer version scanners have been able pick them up with no issue for years. The problem comes into play as frequencies start to be issued issued in the "new" 12.5 split and an older scanner may not be pre-programmed to recognize the frequency entered and auto correct it. EG the old 25 split was 155.3100, 155.3250 and with the new 12.5 the split would become 155.3100, 155.3175, 155.3225, 155.3250. On an older non capable scanner entering 155.3175 would see the scanner either auto correct to 155.310 or give you an error message, more than like the first option. I hope this helps.

Awesome, thank you for the answer! Even the radio-illiterate like me can kind of understand that.