Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

2013 FDNY Symposium

13 posts in this topic

Has anyone attened this in the past? If so, how was it?

REGISTER NOW!!!

2013 FDNY Symposium

The New York City Fire Department in partnership with the FDNY Foundation Symposium March 14th & March 15th 2013
  • March 14th, afternoon NYC WTC site Memorial Tour and reception with NYC Fire Commissioner, Chief of Department and other FDNY leadership.
  • March 15th, at the FDNY Academy presentation including:
  • Terrorism- “Fire as a Weapon” Presentation/Q&A discussion
  • FDNY Rescue Company Operations
  • Recent FDNY Safety Initiatives-Firefighting Culture Changes
  • New FDNY Training Techniques
  • Commercial Property Management Collaborating with First Responders.
  • Register before Jan. 31st - the cost is $300.00 per person
  • Register after January 31st – the cost is $375 per person

More info: http://www.fdnyfound...fdny-symposium/

I could tell you ten places I would rather spend 300 bucks and at the top of the list is bucks hollow emergency equipment .w

I could tell you ten places I would rather spend 300 bucks and at the top of the list is bucks hollow emergency equipment .w

I'd spend it at this event, but Bucks Hollow is 2nd on the list, place is great and has great equipment. Got some vehicle lighting and family has bought guns from there for great prices. Lots of FD/PD's use that for their shirts, etc. Great place and very close to home.

Anyway, now back to FDNY Symposium...

I personally would love to attend and learn or refresh on techniques and have some more terrorism training, as well see FDNY Rescue techniques and tour the NYC WTC site, but I work during the week, and this takes place on Thursday and Friday. Cannot afford to miss work, but would thoroughly enjoy the training. Silly Bills and stuff. Some day......Don't see myself getting a chance to see the WTC site any time soon either, but that's my problem...Sounds like it is well worth attending for those who take firefighting seriously.

Buck's Hollow sounds interesting, but cannot afford "toys" in this economy. Just the way it is...

Edited by sueg

You can tell me that learning about 'FDNY Rescue Techniques' will benefit you where ever you perform? Sorry, this is just another ploy to make money from hard working people. You can visit the WTC on your own time for pennies, and you can buy the red operations manual that is produced yearly for like 35 bucks and learn everything that will be taught or told here for 300.

Another way for the "FDNY Foundation" to make money.....................That is after they get all the Brothers hard earned cash for used helmets that were going to be destroyed otherwise...................

x129K and BBBMF like this

Hopefully someone who's been to the excellent symposiums held there cares to weigh in otherwise all i hear is sour grapes. The foundation does so much good for the department and they have nothing to do with the helmets aside from the money being directed that way (so they say funny the check isn't made out to them).

Hopefully someone who's been to the excellent symposiums held there cares to weigh in otherwise all i hear is sour grapes. The foundation does so much good for the department and they have nothing to do with the helmets aside from the money being directed that way (so they say funny the check isn't made out to them).

These symposiums are excellent and well worth the money for anyone who is serious about this business. The foundation is apparently scheduling this on the right days of the week, and charging the right price, as it normally sells out. From my understanding, the monies raised go to good causes, so I don't understand why anyone would have an issue with this.

qtip

wraftery and sueg like this

Chief, the way we operate is not comparable to anywhere else in the country, you would be better off attending a brotherhood instructors course on forcible entry or roof or ladder ops, that's where the members learn something, sitting in a class is useless for most.

x129K and IFCO3080 like this

Chief, the way we operate is not comparable to anywhere else in the country, you would be better off attending a brotherhood instructors course on forcible entry or roof or ladder ops, that's where the members learn something, sitting in a class is useless for most.

Brother, you're comparing apples to oranges. This is not a hands on basics class I agree you can get that plenty of places. This is for the complex stuff we experience more than the next guy but big city or county (imagine that) departments need to be prepared for. Believe it or not we have some real sharp guys on the job that spend a lot of time putting together a great presentation on unique topics. Imagine you are the special ops chief for a large fire department with over 1000 career firefighters and you are charged with evolving your programs. This is the conference for you.

sueg and wraftery like this

Thanks for your opinion.

I went to the Scpecial Ops symposium in 2010. Gave me a greater appreciation for the hazzards involved in collapse, trench 7 confined space. One presenter let us email him for a dvd of his collapse presentation to show to our guys on drill night. They covered Marine and USAR ops. Not stuff I personally do every day or even every year but it raises awareness, funds a good charity, and as someone already pointed out was standing room only.

16fire5 likes this