Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grumpyff

Failure of the UTC lead to duplicate calls during Hurricane Sandy

8 posts in this topic

One more example of the failure of Mayor Bloomberg's Unified Call Taking system.

http://m.nypost.com/f/mobile/news/local/doing_number_on_7M4emhxOmVIeQYCBFIybJN

According the NY Post the system generated numerous duplicate calls forcing dispatchers to have to work harder during the chaos of Hurricane Sandy. I wonder how many were caught by the dispatchers, and how many resulted in companies making additional unneeded responses during this time.

This is what happens when you let overpaid consultants who are mayoral cronies "fix" a system that isn't broken in the first place.

We caught quite a few. In total, the FDNY Fire Dispatchers handled 22,000 alarms between 0001 Monday, and 2359 Tuesday. These ran from just calls for complaints, to alarms that weren't sent out, to fires and emergencies. Tippin the Mets hat to Angry Johnny.

grumpyff and FDNY 10-75 like this

From what I heard a few NYC 911 calls even made it up to Dutchess due to the heavy volume

We caught quite a few. In total, the FDNY Fire Dispatchers handled 22,000 alarms between 0001 Monday, and 2359 Tuesday. These ran from just calls for complaints, to alarms that weren't sent out, to fires and emergencies.

Does that number include FDNY EMS calls as well?

No, just Fire. But they were at over 5,000 Monday night.

One has to wonder if there would have been more calls had people not lost their phones.

Great job not only to the FDNY Communications folks, but to those Comm Centers in all affected areas. I know we (Westchester County Emergency Services / 60 Control) were quite busy for a few days. I wasn't at work during the height of this storm, but I know how busy it was.

Here's to hoping Comm folks, FD, PD & EMS people aren't put to the test AGAIN today/tomorrow with this dang-blasted Nor'Easter.

grumpyff likes this

From what I heard a few NYC 911 calls even made it up to Dutchess due to the heavy volume

A City of Poughkeepsie call taker handled a call for NYC, but I am not sure where the call originated from.

JetPhoto likes this