Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

a question about empress

22 posts in this topic

this is kinda a tricky situation..

I'm a 19 year old college student, and I've been volunteering for the past few months with my local corps. I took an EMT class, and last Thursday took the test. I didn't do on-site, but I'm very confident that I passed.

Ideally, I would like to do Empress as a summer job. I don't like doing transports at all, but I figure if I do one summer of transports I'll be able to do 911 the summer after that. Either way, that's not really the issue.

The issue is my age. Empress hires EMTs at 18, but doesn't let them drive until 21. I have no problem with that since I don't know Yonkers at all and would constantly need directions, but at the same time I would feel really bad for my partner, who'd have to drive 100% of the time.

Should I wait to work as an EMT until I'm 21? I can't decide, and I was hoping you with more experience (particularly those at Empress) could help.

it's really up to you.....

you will gain experience being chauffeured around by always being in direct contact with the patients.

as to the transports, you will get 911 jobs anyways, depends on how busy it is...

don't worry about your partner(s), it is a nice break to just drive....

PM me if you want more

It is definately nice to have a chauffer...901 was mine for 4 years...he was tac-6 aide to central...

There are lots of emt's and medics at empress (myself included) that would love a day of not having to wright a three page ACR in 15 minutes seven times a day.

If it's what you want, then go for it. 8)

when you can do it in 2 minutes and do it 14 times in 1 day let me know....so my chauffeur was driving a lot ya know

You used to be able to drive at 20 when they didnt know how old you were to begin with!

Driving gets old when you work with the same person 2 or 3 shifts a week. Sooner or later as much as you dont want to admit it you miss being in the back.

On your first day at work, make sure you walk up to the little dispatch window and say, "Just a reminder, I dont really want to do transports, so if you can throw in some 911 to break up the routine I would appreciate it."

.What ever you do don't say that. they will shuk non stop.

If you want the training that is the place to go. If you are willing to learn and pay attention you will get paid well & become a good EMT. As far as driving this to shall pass. The others can remember that several years ago was a night mare for my partner (who was driving) & I. If you take your time you will hook up with a partner that wants to be with you and the system will work. The best thing you can do is go back to school. Good Luck with what ever comes to your Heart.

Actually Orp that day you speak of was my first day...remember that pretty well now I do...

What would posses you to WANT to work for Empress????

:roll: No matter where you choose to work you will only get out of it what you put into it. Still the same it is not Empress, but the skills you put to the positions that Empress (moves you threw. A NYFD member once stated to me on the scene that, "You guys are great." Later he explained to me that it was not the company, but the people and what you folks do with what you have to work with is what makes you great. It can be a useful source, and you can say different THAT IS YOUR OPINON & RIGHT!

I preferred driving. Ask The Hammer or Blondie. :twisted:

OLE129K.

Humm that is a old pic from the MT Vern Station. I do believe you. I don't have to ask. Although driving all the time can dull the game and save the ink 8)

Just so you know Empress has a strict 21 policy now. The insurance company says nobody under 21. Anyone under 21 they hire to thier sister company Emergacare. Then on your 21st birthday hire you into Empress. So think on that.

If there is anyone reading that can give me any good advice as to how to get in with this company asap. please PM me and give me some good advice. I am an experianced EMT, who has no preference whether to drive or Tech. I just want to get involved, and get paid for it around where I work.

Let me get this straight.......You're 19 years old and:

1. You don't want to do transports ?

2. You want to drive ?

Here's an appropriate response:

1. You need to look for another line of work, Johnny !

2. Have you taken classes in "Defensive Driving" and "Emergency Vehicle

Operations ?"

Let me get this straight.......You're 19 years old and:

1. You don't want to do transports ?

2. You want to drive ?

Here's an appropriate response:

1. You need to look for another line of work, Johnny !

2. Have you taken classes in "Defensive Driving" and "Emergency Vehicle 

Operations ?"

It's not that I don't want to do transports, it's that I would prefer to work somewhere where there is the prospect of doing 911 calls in the future. As for the driving, in my hypothetical perfect world I would never have to drive and could always do patient care. However, I assume that others also don't want to drive and want to do patient care. As a result, I would feel very bad for my partner if he had to drive literally all the time. So an ideal place to work for me would be somewhere where I can do both, just so that my partner isn't being screwed.

To the previous poster: does that mean that EMTs who are under 21 at Empress never do 911 calls, and just do the emergicare transports?

What other places are there to work in the westchester area? WEMS just does transports, Empress seems to be just transfers til 21, what about TransCare? Any others?

WEMS just does transports

Says who?

As for the comment about being 19, I'm not sure what being 19 had anything to do with it. Younger EMTs (many of whom are very good at what they do) often take offense to comments like that...

As for other agencies...

to the best of my knowledge WEMS at the BLS level is only transports, though the 45-Medics are Westchester EMS trucks and staffed...

Transcare covers two cities... White Plains and New Rochelle. I don't know much about the company, but from what I have heard, getting to do 911s in either of those places takes some work. You should know that Transcare does the GREAT MAJORITY (almost all) of their work from transports all over westchester (mostly southern and into the city). Granted, I have also heard that if you show some degree of competence, they beg you to do 911s in either place. Knowing what transcare techs are like sometimes, I find the latter more likely. it can be a political game... however that's the deal.

Greenburgh is EMS provided by employees of the PD. It's not an easy job to get from what I understand, but you can look into that as well.

You can also look into VACs that hire paid EMTs to cover certain shifts during the week. Many don't even require you to be on calls, but to be in the building in case there is no voly crew. Check out all the VACs in the area that would be likely to hire some (i.e. VACs that do more than one call a week): Eastchester, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Scarsdale...

With Yonkers and Mt. Vernon being the other two large cities, I can't think of anywhere else with fully paid agencies other than fire based in some smaller towns and villages up north. if anyone has others to add, by all means....

to the best of my knowledge WEMS at the BLS level is only transports, though the 45-Medics are Westchester EMS trucks and staffed...

While the vast majority of the BLS truck calls are transports, there is a certain extent of emergency work. I have no idea what that extent is yet however.

As for the comment about being 19, I'm not sure what being 19 had anything to do with it. Younger EMTs (many of whom are very good at what they do) often take offense to comments like that...

Check out all the VACs in the area that would be likely to hire some (i.e. VACs that do more than one call a week): Eastchester, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Scarsdale...

1. i do take offense to that he's right us EMT that are 18 19 20 we try are best to do what we learn in the classroom

and

2. Mamaroneck ems and larchmont vac are all volly without the paramedic Just as an FYI and also try looking thru the pennysaver or go to your local hospital and if there are ambulances there ask about how they got a job

While the vast majority of the BLS truck calls are transports, there is a certain extent of emergency work. I have no idea what that extent is yet however.

Less than 5% to be sure

Hi kid

Don't get too upset but you have to learn to crawl before you can start runing. Usually in paid 911 jobs as an EMT you have to prove yourself on the transport side 1st or go throw the academy for the city. Doing 911 is fun transports to suck most of the time but you can learn some stuff on the transport side.

When i started as an EMT it (is) was 911 volly work. Every call we had a medic, even for trauma jobs and simple BS to the hospital. When i started working for a transport ambulance service I started to learn alot. Granted most of my work was on the weekend with me and a medic on a bus. But now I feel much more confident as an EMT with medicals and what to expect if I call a medic and what they can actually do. Now most of the medic like it when I ride on my volly bus because I cancel them because its BLS.

Good luck finding a 911 job with little to no transport time. If you do find one let me know I would love to work there.