Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Pt's Wife Dies after Hitting Head in Wis. Ambulance

11 posts in this topic

Interesting story.

Woman Dies after Hitting Head in Wis. Ambulance

SANDY CULLEN and BILL NOVAK

Wisconsin State Journal (Madison, Wisconsin)

December 1, 2012

Laurel Huibregtse hit her head in an ambulance that braked abruptly while transporting her husband.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.emsworld....n-wis-ambulance

And that is why every agency needs to have a seat belt policy for its members, pts and ride alongs as well as liability release forms for ridealongs.

helicopper and Westfield12 like this

Terrible accident... Family members should not be riding in the box. They should be in the front seat, belted, under the supervision of the chauffeur.

The "chauffer" has the responsibility to safely operate the vehicle, not supervise passengers. I agree they should be in the front seat but the driver shouldn't have his attention divided so it's a catch-22.

Westfield12 likes this

Terrible accident... Family members should not be riding in the box. They should be in the front seat, belted, under the supervision of the chauffeur.

I have requested family members ride in the box with me. Usually these are the parents of my child pt along to provide comfort for the child or the ridealong is adult care giver for an elderly pt that has difficulty communicating. Often times I will ask the adult care provider to interpret the pts responses since I do not always understand the muttering, slurring and stammering of an elderly pt much like their care provider does.

Regardless of who is in the back with me, parent or care giver, company policy dictates that we make the ridealong sign a waiver indicating they will wear their seatbelt at all times until we arrive at our destination and that ultimately they will defer to company policy and crew instructions prior to departure from our location.

Westfield12 and x4093k like this

9 times out of 10 I have the family sit up front with a seatbelt. If the pt is under the age of 18 I will ask the parent to ride in the back ( nature of call premetting) when parent is in the back I have them sit in the captains seat with a seatbelt on. If the pt is an infant or a toddler parent and pt sit together with belts on.

KelliPVAC likes this

The "chauffer" has the responsibility to safely operate the vehicle, not supervise passengers. I agree they should be in the front seat but the driver shouldn't have his attention divided so it's a catch-22.

A catch 22 for sure, but I developed my opinion after more bad experiences than good with family members in the box. When a child, spouse, or parent code in front of a family member it becomes more than difficult to work in 60 sf. Forget it when there is an unknown volatile history between the two, or when the pre hospital report is given and the passenger reacts with "that a&&hole did what... I'm gonna..."

Passengers in the front.... Very few exceptions in my mind...

Everyone in my company rides in the back, the front is the office of my partner and I. Our personal stuff is up there, and some of the people that ride with us, no way they are going up there. Patients and family members in the back, seatbelt buckled before we shift to drive.

After reading the entire article some questions come to mind that some of our law enforcement members on the forum may be best at answering. Where does the NYS seat belt law stand on seat belts in the patient compartment of ambulances. I know there have been statements of where we would opt to have family ride, department rules and personal rules regarding family member placement and belting but all that aside where does the issue stand on legal footing. Is it required or suggested for use? If required and not followed who would be summons the driver or the person not belted if over 18 or both?

Always up front...belted and the compartment alley is blocked. Had the misfortune of a pt. codeing suddenly with wife upfront. It wasn't pretty I fought her with my right hand and drove with my left. Had the compartment been available she certainly would have interfered with the medic and crew in the back. We got him there alive..unfortunately he did not survive. Two weeks later she sent a letter thanking us for all we tried to do.

MoFire: How do you belt the parent and child together?