x635

Haz Mat Robots

5 posts in this topic

Recently, I've seen Hazmat robots mentioned in several various articles.

Here's a good article on the robots:

http://firechief.com/cbrn-monitoring-and-detection/robotics-extend-hazmat-s-reach

I'm just wondering if any area agency is currently using a robot, or has one on order?

EmsFirePolice likes this

The only robots on our HAZMAT team (sarcastic jabs aside) are the ones from the Bomb Squad guys.

Interesting idea, you'd kind of need to ensure the product is compatible with the robot though, so I don't really know how useful it is.

West point fire dept has one. They use it for any unknow.

Edited by va360

What can it do? Can it take samples, actually plug leaks

Seth-this looks to be a variant of the robots military EOD and some local bomb squad units are using. Robots were just being issued to all units when I got out, as IEDs had not become that big of a problem as they are now.

My questions are 1) will these squads use this enough to be smooth with the robot handling/carrying the materials? and 2) is the pincher arm delicate enough to hold a thin cased container such as the water bottle in the video without breaking it?

Interesting use, but probably wouldn't be used for anything other than recon. I don't think you can manipulate the arm/pincher enough to take samples/swabs or do any type of plug and dyke...