Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

And This Is Why We Are Fortunate To Have ESU

5 posts in this topic

Recent events around the country demonstrated how fortunate we are to have ESU units. We are lucky to have Police Officers trained in a variety of tactical operations and equipped to deal with them on the street 24/7. Until the full SWAT, Bomb, etc teams can get there, ESU can provide a critical first responses with that training and equipment that may not be available to every officer.

With the infastructure of the metro area, god forbid something like what is going on in Boston happens here, having ESU makes me feel a lot more comfortable.

I hope some grant money is generated from all of these incidents to fund ESU units.

(I do appreciate all street officers and other disciplines, I just feel like ESU is made for these types of incidents)

If I understand correctly, Boston PD's Motorcycle Officers are their SWAT Operators as well. Pretty interesting concept, certainly allows for a rapid deployment.

While specialized units are important and needed in this situation,I do feel that again,this is a prime example of why training and adequate manpower are a must.The cop on the street must have the means with training, equipment and adequate manpower to be able to contain a situation.While in the end, an entry team of highly trained and equipped personnel would be able to enter and or control the situation,it's the everyday street cop that is going to make the difference. I fully support the concept of these tactical teams,but until they muster and arrive,it's the patrol cop/s that will be needed to contain the problem,and without theproper training equipment and staffing that makes it impossible.

Post 911, funding was abundant for all sorts of training and equipment,but the powers to be seem to have lost focus on this,show me a job that is staffed better than pre 911,and I would be impressed,I believe most jobs have been cut to the bare bones...

jmv3085, Bnechis, 210 and 5 others like this

Absolutely a SWAT team was needed to hunt this animal. But an adequate perimeter was essential to contain him and that can only be done with adequate numbers of regular patrol officers (and supervisors). The cuts all jobs have been facing make it a very big IF there will be enough resources for containment. Add to this the fact that in most little jobs, the only supervisor working the 148 hours other than M-F days is "on the desk" and you've got a lot of cops with no supervision trying to do the right thing in a very difficult situation. Not the best recipe for success.

Preliminary reports are that these suspect was found OUTSIDE the established perimeter, too. Another example of how important it is to start big and insure containment.

Kudos to all that worked around the clock to get this animal off the street.

islander likes this

I heard the perimeter was 20 blocks. I heard he was found 2 blocks outside of the perimeter. It is important to start big, but it is a huge undertaking. Even for larger departments, it is not easy. I have worked for the NYPD for over 20 years and locking down an area is not quick, and not easy. I have never locked down and searched an area that big, but even with smaller areas, it is slow and there are going to be holes in it, especially in the beginning phases, no matter what you do. If the perp runs away and hides a block or two away, cordoning off the area will usually work fairly well. If he does not hunker down immediately and keeps moving, figure every minute or two he is another block or so away, the area to search quickly expands to an unwieldy area.

Edited by 10512