grumpyff

FDNY Dodge /Wheeled Coach Ambulances

20 posts in this topic

Back in 2011/2012 there was a lot of speculation on the web about the new ambulance FDNY EMS was in the process of buying. It was a Dodge/Wheeled Coach with a 4 door cab. I recall reading somewhere that FDNY was going to purchase up to 285 of them. I know they started to take delivery, and then it seemed like they stopped. Was there some type of problems with them, or was the design found to be deficient in some area. I have only seen a few on the street of NY. Here is a photo I got of one today at EMS Station 15, just a few blocks from the 5 Alarm fire on White Plains Road in the Bronx.

post-917-0-68383900-1367547438.jpg

EMS Station 15, ex quarters of Engine 63

post-917-0-03440900-1367547521.jpg

x635 and firedude like this

I know they started to take delivery, and then it seemed like they stopped. Was there some type of problems with them, or was the design found to be deficient in some area. I have only seen a few on the street of NY.

You may not be looking hard enough ;)

They are everywhere, with most stations having at least a few. Yes, they are not as dominant as the F-450's, but they are around. I have heard issues with the air-suspension not re-inflating, and other minor issues.

Being able to recline is the best part about those Dodges. And as was mentioned there are plenty of them around, and I did hear that there were more on the way, but that was a casual comment in a conversation so that isn't confirmed. My unit is a Dodge and it has around 15k miles on it and has already had its engine replaced, I'm not sure whether that is a common thing or just some issue with that particular truck. Air ride is hit or miss, its supposed to deflate when both back doors are open and with the engine on, but around 30% of the time nothing happens, even after repeatedly opening and shutting the doors. Not a huge issue but a little consistency would be nice. Driving around is a little different with the extra length but the width is the same on the f350 models. The engine is quiet and really smooth which is nice when you are sitting 89. There are definitely mixed feelings about the Dodges, but personally I like them.

Edited by CFFD117
x635 likes this

On the air ride issue: Our AEV/Ford 450's have the same problems. In speaking to others who have the same "Door activated tail lowering systems" it appears to be industry wide with a common thought being that road dirt and grime causes things to "stick" and not operate properly.

grumpyff and x635 like this

You may not be looking hard enough ;)

They are everywhere, with most stations having at least a few. Yes, they are not as dominant as the F-450's, but they are around. I have heard issues with the air-suspension not re-inflating, and other minor issues.

Thanks, working in the Bronx I mostly interact with Stations 15 and 20 (White Plains Rd and Jacobi Hospital). The Dodges a few and far between from what I have seen.

In the bronx there is only one dodge is assigned to each station.

Edited by nycmedic
grumpyff likes this

Im at 10/16 and we have 4 at ours

I've seen units from multiple manufacturers on different chassis with temperamental air rides..

Station 20 has 1 ALS and 1 BLS dodge,

A common "solution" I've heard of is to ensure the underside is well rinsed off after any runs during the winter to reduce salt/sand caking that impairs the air release lowering mechanism? Our guys thinks it helps but isn't a "cure".

I know the DPF's were clogging and in many cases causing the valves to melt. Diesels are not meant to idle, main reason why Columbia Pres has all Gas rigs. You can high idle a diesel, but a diesel under no load for long periods of time causes many problems.

I know the DPF's were clogging and in many cases causing the valves to melt. Diesels are not meant to idle, main reason why Columbia Pres has all Gas rigs. You can high idle a diesel, but a diesel under no load for long periods of time causes many problems.

The DPF issue is caused by wet exhaust from incomplete combustion of the fuel. The High idle mostly solves that problem, but still, running a truck 24 hours a day will kill it.

I'm in a 2010 Silverado Frazer. We haven't had any issue with the air ride. I work for private EMS....truck runs pretty much 24/7 and gets tons of miles due to LD transfers to Houston. Idk how the FDNY Dodges are set up or how wheeled coach does their air ride. On ours, the bags deflate when the rear doors are opened and only inflate when the doors are closed and the brake is pressed. The older Frazers would raise and lower as the doors were opened and closed constantly. I like the new way, saves on the bags more.

I'm in a 2010 Silverado Frazer. We haven't had any issue with the air ride. I work for private EMS....truck runs pretty much 24/7 and gets tons of miles due to LD transfers to Houston. Idk how the FDNY Dodges are set up or how wheeled coach does their air ride. On ours, the bags deflate when the rear doors are opened and only inflate when the doors are closed and the brake is pressed. The older Frazers would raise and lower as the doors were opened and closed constantly. I like the new way, saves on the bags more.

I work regularly in a Frazer ambulance and in the winter, the condensation in the air lines would freeze the dump valves open. You had to wait for the valves to thaw before moving the bus or run the risk of cracking the frame. Ask me how I know...

The most recent order of Frazers we received management forwent the air suspension to reduce out of service time and to save money.

Luckily I live in Southeast Texas ^_^ lol no worries of frozen lines here : P

Actually the dpf clogs from not getting hot enough not fron wet fuel but from unburned fuel as particles making it clog. Remember diesel burns above 141 degrees and if you ever drove a truck with an egt sensor you would see even at idle its at 200 degrees.

Actually the dpf clogs from not getting hot enough not fron wet fuel but from unburned fuel as particles making it clog. Remember diesel burns above 141 degrees and if you ever drove a truck with an egt sensor you would see even at idle its at 200 degrees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_stacking

Try and find that on a modern continuous rail diesel sporting fuel pressure at greater than 20k psi. We are a long way from mechanical injection pumps. especially when you add in new fuel that is amazingly clean burning. Just remember what I said. Diesel will start to get to the point at which it burns at around 144 degrees the exhaust is hot enough for it to burn at that temp yet not high enough for it to burn completely. Ever see a dpf rig in a regen mode? 8-900 degrees at the tip!

Does anyone have the CAD spec of the new Dodge/Wheeled Coach FDNY ambulances?

I think the reason they didn't keep getting more of these is Dodge discontinued the chassis that they had been using. In the meantime they've been coming up with a new spec for this.

My unit was one of the first to get 1 of the Dodges. It was amazing to have when sitting 89 (especially because I worked midnights on a slow ALS unit) however they were not as great to drive compared to the Fords. The Fords are much more responsive, however the Dodges actually have a better turning radius.