Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grumpyff

Grand Central Terminal 100th Aniversary Parade of Train May 11 and 12

14 posts in this topic

This weekend the celebration of Grand Central Terminal's 100th Anniversary continues with a 'Parade of trains' on tracks 37 to 34. Vintage train cars and locomotives with be on display from various groups.

Per the website and flyers handed out "NO BACKPACKS WILL BE ALLOWED IN THE DISPLAY AREAS". Also no storage of bags will be provided. Here is a link to schedule of events, and a list of equipment to be displayed to the public.

http://www.grandcentralterminal.com/centennial/event.cfm?eventid=2145406609

The strange thing about this is that the GCT event is not listed on the National Train Day website but the events in New Haven and Long Island are.

I hope I can make it, looks like it's going to be awesome! Thanks on the heads up on the backpack, K, I have a small DSLR bag, I wonder if that is considered a backpack? Probaly not, it's more like a purse, lol.

I am not sure how strict they will be with the camera bags. With that said, I will probably wear cargo pants/shorts and tuck an extra lens into a pocket, and tough if out with the camera around my neck for the day.

Anyone going Saturday and want to meet up? PM me.

I haven't decided if I'm riding the Harlem, Hudson, or New Haven line yet. I either want to ride an M8 or maybe catch an interior refurbished M3.....it's been very elusive to me.

I'm going Saturday, not sure what time I'll make other though, maybe around 2.

I haven't decided if I'm riding the Harlem, Hudson, or New Haven line yet. I either want to ride an M8 or maybe catch an interior refurbished M3.....it's been very elusive to me.

The chance of catching an M3 on the weekend is slim. You will have a better chance of catching an M8 on the New Haven side but no guarentee.

I just came back, there was a employee preview day this afternoon. I am no train Buff but it is pretty cool. There are Sleeper cars on one track, and the other set of cars on the other side of the platform.

the hallways are very narrow, but very impressive from what we have today

Chris

grumpyff likes this

here is a video care of Greg Grice with the trains coming down the line. Amtrak eng. & MNR work eng.

grumpyff likes this

I am going to go tomorrow, just not sure of the times yet. I found these photos of equipment at Stamford waiting to be brought down to Grand Central: http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1221037

Almost forgot, the Transit Authority will be running some of its Museum cars on the Times Square shuttle as well.

Seth, as or the M3, best time to get one is during rush hour either from or to North White Plains. Very rare to see one venture up to Southeast these days.

Edited by grumpyff
x635, redtruck75 and M' Ave like this

The 6:22 PM train from GCT to Croton Harmon is usually M3 equipment.

x635 likes this

Thanks for the heads up, guys. I've always tried to check platforms and times to see if I can get the train I feel like riding that day outbound from GCT, and usually have to settle. And whenever I do, of course, always pass an inbound train that I wanted. LOL.

Wanted to get down there early today, but wasn't feeling great so I postponed until tomorrow. But I had heard today was crazy (did anyone go?), so maybe tomorrow will be better then today was?

Just got back, It was packed. I got to Grand Central just before 10 am. They had everyone who was attending load onto trains on tracks 39 and 40 so you could sit in air conditioned cars, and wait to be walked over to track 37 (entrance to the exhibit). I waited almost 45 minutes to get into the exhibit, and once inside they was a ton of people. The Metro North employees and volunteers working the exhibit we great! I know they had a rough day with the number of people trying to get in. Lots to see. I got out of the exhibit almost around noon. There was so much to see that I started to get tired, and ended up skipping some of the exhibits (after awhile the interiors of the different sleepers started to look alike.). IF you skip waiting for the interiors, i would a lot quicker, but for some, it was worth it. I know when I left, they we lining people up on the ramp to the lower level, and then bringing them into the exhibits. Vanderbilt Hall was packed to the point that I skipped it. I will try to post some photos later on.