Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Chicago Sun-Times Photojournalists Fired; Will Replace With Reporter's Iphones

5 posts in this topic

Well, I guess this was a matter of time. Due to the numerous people who submit photos for FREE to for-profit media websites (who in turn make thousands off their "Reader Submitted Photo"), this has now claimed the careers of 28 more photojournalists. I say more because newspapers and websites all over the country are phasing out their talented, experienced, insightful photojournalists who capture amazing photos with some random person in the right place at the right time.

Hopefully, the reporters stand with the photographers. Despite the decline of newspapers, regardless, great photos sell papers and bring readers to articles.

Read More: http://www.miamiok.com/commentary/article_be8b9c0d-62b8-51ae-8172-f0f1e7f1d2a2.html

This is disgusting. Technology and access to that technology has really killed the art.

peterose313 likes this

Well, I guess this was a matter of time. Due to the numerous people who submit photos for FREE to for-profit media websites (who in turn make thousands off their "Reader Submitted Photo"), this has now claimed the careers of 28 more photojournalists. I say more because newspapers and websites all over the country are phasing out their talented, experienced, insightful photojournalists who capture amazing photos with some random person in the right place at the right time.

Hopefully, the reporters stand with the photographers. Despite the decline of newspapers, regardless, great photos sell papers and bring readers to articles.

Read More: http://www.miamiok.com/commentary/article_be8b9c0d-62b8-51ae-8172-f0f1e7f1d2a2.html

It's killin me and my future. I've been struggling to find a freelance/part-time/full-time photo job with newspapers for a few years now and it's not happening.

I don't understand.

Isn't there a significant difference in the quality between a photo taken using professional equipment and one using a smart phone?

Also, this might work for news, but what about sports. The reporters in the booth can't get the same kinds of photos as someone on the field level can

I don't understand.

Isn't there a significant difference in the quality between a photo taken using professional equipment and one using a smart phone?

Also, this might work for news, but what about sports. The reporters in the booth can't get the same kinds of photos as someone on the field level can

There is and that's where the issue lies. Newspapers themselves are rapidly going by the wayside and simply becoming a digital medium. As a result you have things like the Patch or Daily ____ popping up everywhere and they don't care about how good they are. The mentality today is why pay someone to take photos when they can just reach out to the community and get them for free from other people? Everyone and their mother has a DSLR or digital point and shoot today so why not ask them? Who cares if they don't know how to actually use the $600 camera?

Look at the fire buffs showing up at scenes taking pics with their iphones. I've seen stories not all that long ago that had photos taken from someone's cell phone featured as part of the story. My sister had a college graduation recently and it was amazing to see how many more people were taking pics with their cell phones vs. an actual camera.