Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lad12derff

Rye CO incident 6/16/13

38 posts in this topic

I go back to my original question: was this dispatched as a CO emergency or simply a medical emergency? Did the officers know that the car was running in the garage all night when they got there?

What they knew and didn't know at the time is a big factor in reviewing this call. "Keyboard experts"? Just a lot of questions and discussion. What's the problem with that?

If this had been a robery/hostage situation and 2 off-duty firefighters ran in and rescued the hostages without incident, would we call the firefighters Heros? Pat them on the back and say "Atta boy"?

Sadly they treated an off-duty, out of district FF as a hero and gave him awards for jumping off the TZ Bridge after witnessing a woman attempt suicide. He was battered and unconscious and needed to be rescued himself but he was still treated like a hero. Personally, I think he should have gotten a 72 hour evaluation at the Behavioral Health Center but that's just me. We very often pat people on the back and say good job even when it wasn't.

firemoose827, Bnechis and INIT915 like this

I was hoping to hear from someone on scene about this call. As helicopper said, was this a dispatched CO call? If it was then I would say there is no reason for PD to enter the home prior to FD arrival unless they are trained and suited for such a call. I know we have the same thing happen in New Rochelle sometimes when PD arrives before FD on calls and they enter. I am not bashing them just stating a fact. Why would we want to show on scene first with no training and have the public expect us to do something? They don't really care what uniform you wear they just want help. That is where the trouble can start for an untrained person. I learned this basic fact from an old salty chief I chauffeured when his aid was off. I would race to the call to try to get him there. One tour he asked me " when we beat the Engine or Truck to the job what are we gonna do " ? People will be screaming and yelling and you and I can't do a thing until the rest arrive. Wow did that stay with me!!. He wanted me to time our arrival with first due companies and start the show from there If this were truly an unknown medical than maybe they didn't know what they were involved with

Edited by lad12derff

In some areas, if PD had to "time they're arrival" with FD or EMS, they'd have to drive the length of the city 30 times over. Remember, no matter the hour, we don't have to wake up, assemble, muster, respond, etc. We are already out there. No matter the on going criticism from our FD "brethren", we most likely will continue to evaluate each situation on a case by case basis, and make informed decisions when the benefit outweighs the risks, and when it doesn't. I'd bet my salary for the next ten years if those cops stayed outside and that guy died, and he was your brother/father/son, etc, you'd have those cops skewered on this forum.

x635 and grumpyff like this

In some areas, if PD had to "time they're arrival" with FD or EMS, they'd have to drive the length of the city 30 times over. Remember, no matter the hour, we don't have to wake up, assemble, muster, respond, etc. We are already out there. No matter the on going criticism from our FD "brethren", we most likely will continue to evaluate each situation on a case by case basis, and make informed decisions when the benefit outweighs the risks, and when it doesn't. I'd bet my salary for the next ten years if those cops stayed outside and that guy died, and he was your brother/father/son, etc, you'd have those cops skewered on this forum.

And in the courts of public opinion, New York State and the Southern District.

Studies have shown that CO and other gases is high in those atmospheres, and although there is equipment available, it is rarely monitored.

And this statement is based on what? We've had fire officers wearing CO meters on every call for probably close to 15 years. EMS has had CO meters since a near miss on a EMS call. My experience is a large portion of the fire service is monitoring.

And this statement is based on what? We've had fire officers wearing CO meters on every call for probably close to 15 years. EMS has had CO meters since a near miss on a EMS call. My experience is a large portion of the fire service is monitoring.

Although EMS and EMD are a lot more alert to the potential of CO, there are still a lot of EMS agencies that don't use the personal CO alert devices. Nor do I see a lot of FD rehab protocols that call for CO monitoring.

But we're getting off topic. These officers did what they have to do. And three people are alive because of it. And I know a large majority of those preaching waiting for FD, if they were in the same situation they would have done the same thing. It's in ALL of out blood.

Although EMS and EMD are a lot more alert to the potential of CO, there are still a lot of EMS agencies that don't use the personal CO alert devices. Nor do I see a lot of FD rehab protocols that call for CO monitoring.

But we're getting off topic. These officers did what they have to do. And three people are alive because of it. And I know a large majority of those preaching waiting for FD, if they were in the same situation they would have done the same thing. It's in ALL of out blood.

So maybe the preaching of wait for FD is the wrong way to look at this? If the PD gets a report of a hostage situation, a bomb threat or riot I would assume they would show up dressed and prepared to work. Why is it that PD is dispatched to a CO call with no equipment? Can we not see the forest through the trees here? The problem was not the fact that these 2 cops rescued the family but the dispatch to a potentially deadly situation to themselves. I still have not been told that this is how the call came in but if it was dispatched that way they are not heros but cowboys putting themselves in harms way. What kind of union would allow their members to continue to be sent to calls out of thier training and not properly suited? PD is dispatched to plenty of calls that are fire related or ems related and not police related. If "cooking the books" for call volume requires someone to enter a situation that they are not trained for, then that is the underlying problem. This is not a FD vs PD or Volley vs Paid topic. It is about risk vs reward and returning home to your family.

Well in most towns, cities large and small PD gets dispatched to all fire calls. Again we don't know any details. and going off what i read I believe the cops got there and were told someone was down in the house. If you read carefully the people pretty much knew what happened when they indicated they left the car on in. The garage. And playing detective here go to rye fire.com. They don't have any story or anything on it but look at alarm box at the top scrolling. Click on precious 30 alarms. For that date it says invest CO-yes. Which would indicate 60 control was told CO and dispatched it as so.