lad12derff

Hero's or potential victims

68 posts in this topic

I love calls to expedite! Upon this request we've asked dispatch to tell them we're travelling as fast as safely possible! This happens to us quite often providing ALS back-up to outside agencies.

True, but I think that those requests are more psychological than a realistic expectation: asking the ambulance/medic/PD to "expedite" probably makes the person requesting it feel a little more at ease when the fecal material hits the rotating climate control device while they're essentially on their own.

Then again, I'd like to think that all driver's realize that an expedite request is NOT an authorization to throw due regard out the window. But unfortunately that's probably wishful thinking.

Edited by SageVigiles

I love calls to expedite! Upon this request we've asked dispatch to tell them we're travelling as fast as safely possible! This happens to us quite often providing ALS back-up to outside agencies.

I never got excited over an audio transmission to "expedite." If you simply take it as a "Heads up on the incident" you are not speeding up or taking any chances, no problem.

INIT915 and antiquefirelt like this

A seasoned cop will stay upwind. A seasoned FF or EMT will remained staged until the PD advises differently, even if they see a pt being loaded into a bus. I'm not getting payed to smell like smoke for the next month or become another rescue in a fire. And the FF/EMT isn't getting payed a stipend per pt. (maybe some are for all I know) As a FF/EMT if you are told to stage in a safe location until the PD renders it safe, what's the big deal-it's for a reason. If you choose to enter that location for an EDP perhaps and you wind up getting hurt or even worse, hurting someone. You may wind up having much answering to do. Either criminal or civil. I know way too many guys that wished they would have followed protocol or used their head. I hate to say it, but its us verse them/it, not each other. stay safe

Bnechis and AFS1970 like this

True, but I think that those requests are more psychological than a realistic expectation...

This is kind of what I was getting to in my first post. allot of the time the rushing in to do something that is outside of the normal duties of your agency is more psychological, in that there is the need to do something, or anything. Our police department gave up it's SCUBA team quite a while ago, yet once at a car in very shallow water 2 blocks from the FD's dive unit several police officers dropped their gun belts and jumped into the rocky water to make rescues. Most went home with injuries on duty after that. Yet when the police briefly acquired an old rescue truck and rumors spread of what it would be used for, most officers were adamant that they were not going to do all that rescue stuff. There is definately a different dinamic when you are on scene than when you are just talking about it.

A seasoned cop will stay upwind. A seasoned FF or EMT will remained staged until the PD advises differently, even if they see a pt being loaded into a bus. I'm not getting payed to smell like smoke for the next month or become another rescue in a fire. And the FF/EMT isn't getting payed a stipend per pt. (maybe some are for all I know) As a FF/EMT if you are told to stage in a safe location until the PD renders it safe, what's the big deal-it's for a reason. If you choose to enter that location for an EDP perhaps and you wind up getting hurt or even worse, hurting someone. You may wind up having much answering to do. Either criminal or civil. I know way too many guys that wished they would have followed protocol or used their head. I hate to say it, but its us verse them/it, not each other. stay safe

Yes but this is the exception not the rule because of the psychological factors. It is like ICS (or NIMS) sounds good in class, we come up with and run some spectacular scenarios on top of tables, and then we argue over who has the better command post once we get on scene. Which is why I question the value of sending agencies unless we have concrete information that they will be needed at that stage in an incident. I grow tired of being told that my jonb as a dispatcher is to give as much information and keep people safe only to do things that fly in the face of safety based on limited information at best.

Yes but this is the exception not the rule because of the psychological factors. It is like ICS (or NIMS) sounds good in class, we come up with and run some spectacular scenarios on top of tables, and then we argue over who has the better command post once we get on scene. Which is why I question the value of sending agencies unless we have concrete information that they will be needed at that stage in an incident. I grow tired of being told that my jonb as a dispatcher is to give as much information and keep people safe only to do things that fly in the face of safety based on limited information at best.

ICS doesn't just sound good in class. It works really well if you bother to do it.

If you're arguing over who has the better command post on a scene, you're not doing ICS because there is only ONE command post when you actually do ICS.

I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly called ICS. Some people just don't get it!

Bnechis and wraftery like this

ICS doesn't just sound good in class. It works really well if you bother to do it.

If you're arguing over who has the better command post on a scene, you're not doing ICS because there is only ONE command post when you actually do ICS.

I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly called ICS. Some people just don't get it!

Amen to that. I believe the problem is that once people leave class, they don' use what they learned. If you use ICS on the little stuff. you may be able to use it on the complicated stuff

Dinosaur, Bnechis and SageVigiles like this

Amen to that. I believe the problem is that once people leave class, they don' use what they learned.

That was the general point I was trying to make about it, although ICS was just an example.

wraftery likes this