Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Facebook Incident Alert Pages

12 posts in this topic

A lot of people (groups) have been starting up Facebook groups for thier counties and posting incident alerts in them. It's allowing buffs to see what's going on and it is also allowing the public to find out about stuff. Most sites keep it to fires, mva's and serious traumas. The ones I've been to usually stay clear of law enforcement issues.

So lets make a list of groups so others can discover them.

Dutchess County Fire/Rescue Services
Dutchess County Fire wire
Ulster County Fire/Rescue Incidents
Orange County Fire Media
Orange/Sullivan/Ulster Fire/Police Buff Group

Schoharie County posts calls, timelines of events, updates on department equipment, functions, nightly announcements in case you missed them, and chat area. Just started it this past month.

God forbid anyone mention MERGERS, everyone wants their own piece of the pie...

Sound familiar??? :o

Do you really have to go there??? MOD REVIEW!!! LOL

effd3918 likes this

A bit ironic since many districts are imposing and enforcing strict internet rules, like not posting calls to Facebook!

x129K, PVFD233 and PEMO3 like this

A bit ironic since many districts are imposing and enforcing strict internet rules, like not posting calls to Facebook!

Makes sense. I also like the rules some departments have regarding members taking photos while at scenes/uploading photos to fb/other sites while at the scene.

Makes sense. I also like the rules some departments have regarding members taking photos while at scenes/uploading photos to fb/other sites while at the scene.

The guys that run our FB site made it a requirement that all photo's and content that anyone wishes to be posted be emailed to one of the sites managers so they can screen the material for appropriateness and content. The managers are the only ones that can post content other than the chat box but they quickly remove any pictures "attached" to the posts that are not appropriate or violate rules.

So recently (past several months) the Hudson Valley area has seen several fire\emergency\police incident alert pages pop up with a lot of support. I know I have used these pages myself to see what was going on when I hear sirens or do not have a scanner\pager with me. I like being informed and deep down inside who doesn't want to know whats going on. We all understand and can all agree on things like free speech. In the age of social media information is spread as fast as we are getting our calls for service. Where is the line drawn in the sand though when it comes to regulating information that is being delivered to the world via social media?

Who, if anyone, that is running these social media websites and pages have over site in what to post and what not to post? Do they have a mission statement and a set of ethics and values that they follow?

If you are running a social media page do you disable the ability of people to make comments that are publicly viewed. Let's say i'm the sole operator of Hooterville Buff Fire Alerts and Do-dad's. I post an incident alert about a vehicle accident and 20 mins later someone who is following the page releases names of individuals who have died in the hypothetical accident? I post an alert about a police incident and another member of the public is also listening to the scanner and places information about police units and personnel onto the page under the comments section. A building fire happens in The big City of SmallvilleUSA and the fire chief calls mutual aid from MediumvilleUSA but BigvilleUSA is closer. Now people comment on how that is an improper way to run an operation. It escalates as other's question an incident that they are not at, nor are they in charge of. How does this look in the public perception?

What is the liability of such groups in regards to privacy, safety, and security or emergency responders and the public?

Your thoughts?

x129K and x4093k like this

So recently (past several months) the Hudson Valley area has seen several fire\emergency\police incident alert pages pop up with a lot of support. I know I have used these pages myself to see what was going on when I hear sirens or do not have a scanner\pager with me. I like being informed and deep down inside who doesn't want to know whats going on. We all understand and can all agree on things like free speech. In the age of social media information is spread as fast as we are getting our calls for service. Where is the line drawn in the sand though when it comes to regulating information that is being delivered to the world via social media?

Who, if anyone, that is running these social media websites and pages have over site in what to post and what not to post? Do they have a mission statement and a set of ethics and values that they follow?

If you are running a social media page do you disable the ability of people to make comments that are publicly viewed. Let's say i'm the sole operator of Hooterville Buff Fire Alerts and Do-dad's. I post an incident alert about a vehicle accident and 20 mins later someone who is following the page releases names of individuals who have died in the hypothetical accident? I post an alert about a police incident and another member of the public is also listening to the scanner and places information about police units and personnel onto the page under the comments section. A building fire happens in The big City of SmallvilleUSA and the fire chief calls mutual aid from MediumvilleUSA but BigvilleUSA is closer. Now people comment on how that is an improper way to run an operation. It escalates as other's question an incident that they are not at, nor are they in charge of. How does this look in the public perception?

What is the liability of such groups in regards to privacy, safety, and security or emergency responders and the public?

Your thoughts?

Why was this merged into a topic that has nothing to do about the questions I was asking for discussion?

x129K and x4093k like this

It's truly up to the page operators to monitor and control the information displayed on FB. A lot of this is common sense that most people follow. Names and facts are generally not posted until it's in a local paper, but yes you can have an idiot make a comment about it with personal information. This is where the board ops. have to use their heads and remove it ASAP.

Bottom line no one truly "police's' these sites unless an issue arises.