Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD389RET

Arizona denys 13 "seasonal" of 19 dead last Month Death Benefits

6 posts in this topic

Prescott,AZ. is denying 13 families' death benefits stating they were seasonal not Full time EMployees so they get squat,.. only 5 families will recieve anything apparently for the death of fathers and sons and husbands and brothers who layed down they're lives to protect the residents of the town they responded to not even the people of Prescott..

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/08/07/arizona-city-denies-benefits-to-family-of-fallen-firefighters/

This is absurd. At least they are still getting federal benefits and worker's comp.

Incidents like this are why I think anyone who says unions and representation for workers have outlived their usefulness doesn't know what they are talking about

This is absurd. At least they are still getting federal benefits and worker's comp.

Incidents like this are why I think anyone who says unions and representation for workers have outlived their usefulness doesn't know what they are talking about

Yes, this is absurd. But really, it shouldn't be about unions or representation. The overwhelming majority of firefighters/EMS are not members of a union, nor are our military. This is about what kind of country we have become. A country searching for loopholes to avoid responsibility, that can't distinguish right from wrong, knows no ethics, adheres to no moral code. I don't know how all these things work, I just think if you lose your life in the service of your country or community, your surviving spouse should receive your paycheck and benefits, adjusted as if you remained on the job, until he or she re-marries or takes on a permanent significant other. And, that's in addition to whatever lump sums are provided as the initial death benefit.

Same for all the military coming home missing limbs and minds. The cost of caring for these people can't be more than a rounding off of a line on a budget. Some gave some, some gave all, and they or their survivors should be compensated properly.

Thank God for programs like 'Wounded Warrier Project' and the generosity of the public. But we shouldn't need these and similar programs in this country. We should take care of those who served without reservation for as long as needed. That we need these programs is a disgrace and a national embarrassment.

Capejake72 and 99subi like this

I saw on the news last night that the mayor is going to fight for the seasonal F/F familys for full benefits.

I agree that this is absurd. But there are other factors to consider. For example, these firefighters know that they were not covered by the city's benefit package. I assume that their families knew, also. Something like 2/3 of the firefighters in the U.S. are volunteers. They also risk their lives, and they not only do not get benefits, they don't even get paid.

When I began my career in law enforcement, I was a reserve deputy sheriff. That means I worked for free and I received no benefits. If I had been killed or permanently injured in the line of duty. my family would have received nothing from the county.

This is the nature of what many of us are willing to accept in order to serve our communities as first responders.

The Prescott Firefighter families have all received large checks from the 100 Club of Arizona. They will receive workman's comp benefits and Surviving Spouse benefits from Social Security. The federal government also has benefits including, as least for police officers so I assume it includes firefighters, college tuition for the children of those killed in the line of duty.

This was not an arbitrary decision by City of Prescott bureaucrats. It's actually party of the city code. It's the law. So, the city officials cannot just ignore it. But I understand that there is a move underway to repeal the law and make it retroactive. We'll see.

nycmedic likes this

This is the decision that each man made. They knew what the conditions that they worked under and took the risk.

nycmedic likes this