EMTbravo

EMTBravo Beta Testing "Walkie Talkie" Radio Network

11 posts in this topic

EMTBravo is currently beta-testing the Zello "Walkie-Talkie" app to allow IA Writers to communicate via voice with members in the field in order to provide even more accurate and timely IA's, amongst other ways voice communication can enhance the forum. It's reminiscent of the old "buff radio" networks of the past.

Learn More About The App By Clicking Here

This program is still in beta, and this post is fluid, so we are still figuring out how this is going to work, and the only way we can do that is while it is live. So we encourage you to download and use the app. It is called "Zello", and is available on iPhone, Android, Blackberry, and PC devices. Sign up for the "EMTBravo Radio Network". The password is "radio".

When you have it downloaded, try it out. I'm "10-8, k" for a bit longer, so call me up to help me see if this works! If something doesn't work or you have trouble, please post on this thread, so we can figure it out together and maybe help out other members experiencing the same issues at the same time.

Looking forward to you hitting me up!

-Seth AKA x635

Lessons learned so far since original post:

1. You have to request authorization to talk to the other party, kinda like a Facebook friend request. When you go to transmit to send to someone, it should automatically send the request. And it should be a one time thing.

P.S. This is still in "beta" mode. Any positive ideas for the system, our ears are open. And, don't worry, once we get this figured out and honed, we'll make it easier to use.

Edited by x635
Add lesssons learned

The beta testing is going pretty well once you get the app figured out, but it is super simple......join up!

So far loud and clear in various locations in Westchester and NYC. Sounds and operates very similar to Trunking Radio System/Nextel.

This could be a useful tool for Incident Alerts.

Is this still being tested/used? I have been on it a few times and never seem to see anyone online. It might just be that I am on at odd times of the day and night.

Is this still being tested/used? I have been on it a few times and never seem to see anyone online. It might just be that I am on at odd times of the day and night.

I'm trying it for the first time, put in the channel like Seth said and the only one listed is me as "DCRET". I did, however, talk to a lady in S Africa and she is vacationing there from Australia. I thought that was cool. As far as emtBravo goes, we need a lot more to sign up before you get any kind of an answer back

We're still seeing what the capabilities of this is, and how and IF it can be a useful addition to our community. I'll probably plan something soon where we can get a number of users online at once to try some things. We have had 5 people on at once, and it worked pretty well. Much like a Nextel used to work.

Battery Killer

That's the next thing was looking at

At first I thought this was not going to be useful for me, but then I found myself not to far from the scene of an incident but with spotty wireless so I did not post an IA. I was thinking that if someone was on the channel at the time I might have been able to relay information to another IA writer.

x635 likes this

This morning leaving work I found myself nearby an incident again, Nobody was on Zello at the time. I posted an IA from my phone, but had to update it to clean up some formatting issues when I got home to the desktop. To bad nobody else was on Zello to post for me.