Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arbrow06

AEMT designations in NYS

12 posts in this topic

Hey,

I am currently an EMT-B for a year now and I want to take a step forward and become an AEMT-I. There seems to be no courses going on. Does anyone know why?

Also, directed to an instructor possibly:

How long is the AEMT-I courses vs. EMT-B and AEMT-CC?

Thanks for the help. I just wanted to increase my capacity in the EMS field through volunteering. I just don't want to be a paramedic.

Basicly, no one is using EMT-I and EMT-CC does not exist in the Westchester, NYC and I believe the Hudson Valley Regions.

Basicly, no one is using EMT-I and EMT-CC does not exist in the Westchester, NYC and I believe the Hudson Valley Regions.

That is really weird seems like the NYC EMT-B & EMT-P are the only certs. I just wanted to work on the EMT-I before I head back upstate in a year or so but that looks like it won't happen. Does anyone know about the typical time frames for AEMT-I classes though?

1. No such thing as a AEMT-I. There is the new NRAEMT or the older NREMT-I'85 or NREMT-I'03 and NREMT-I'99.

Under current NREMT guidelines, NREMT-I'85 or NREMT-I'03 transition to NRAEMT while NREMT-I'99 transition to NREMTP. NREMT-B transition to NREMT.

2. An NRAEMT course is 4 months of class at 8 hours a week along with 20+ hours of clinical hours here in VT. From start to finish the quickest I have seen it completed is 7 months and that was by those who work in the hospital in which they did their clinical hours in.

3. The reason why there is only EMT-B and EMT-P in the Lower Hudson Valley and Westchester is because there is no reason to add a scope of practice between EMT-B and EMT-P when the region is flooded with EMT-Ps. Where I am in VT, we have NRAEMTs because there is exactly 4 EMT-Ps on duty at a time for a population the size of Westchester. NRAEMTs are used to bridge the level of care between EMT-B and EMT-P when no EMT-Ps are available (or refuse to provide DHS mandated intercepts, however that is another monster to deal with).

4. Take your NRAEMT course upstate where A. They use the certification and have written protocols B. The use NRAEMT is more standard allowing you to embrace your role as a NRAEMT and not be a really smart and well trained EMT-B assisting an EMT-P.

Edited by SRS131EMTFF

My understanding, and as usual I reserve the right to be wrong, is that insurance companies will only pay for ALS done by medics. So medicare killed the EMT I. Beleive me, if EMS could bill at the ALS rate and pay the crews an 'intermediate' rate, they would jjump on it.

1. No such thing as a AEMT-I. There is the new NRAEMT or the older NREMT-I'85 or NREMT-I'03 and NREMT-I'99.

4. Take your NRAEMT course upstate where A. They use the certification and have written protocols B. The use NRAEMT is more standard allowing you to embrace your role as a NRAEMT and not be a really smart and well trained EMT-B assisting an EMT-P.

1. AEMT-I (commonly known as just EMT-I), is a New York State thing, along with EMT-CC. Basically, it's because the National curriculum doesn't require you to to take CPR as part of the EMT class, just that you have it. New York wanted to have everyone take it in the EMT class, so they put it in and then relabeled the entire ems system. As I understand it though, the NYS levels (EMT-B, I, CC, and P) are equivalent to the National Registry levels.

2. As he stated, take the course upstate where they use EMT-Is, cause they'll have the class, rather than down here where medics are readily available. I would contact whoever your local ems council will be and see if they have any info on where you can take a course.

Quick warning; NYS dropped either EMT-I or EMT-CC with this new curriculum, so that may be the reason you can't find an EMT-I class

Hey,

I am currently an EMT-B for a year now and I want to take a step forward and become an AEMT-I. There seems to be no courses going on. Does anyone know why?

Also, directed to an instructor possibly:

How long is the AEMT-I courses vs. EMT-B and AEMT-CC?

Thanks for the help. I just wanted to increase my capacity in the EMS field through volunteering. I just don't want to be a paramedic.

If you're in the metro NYC area, there is probably no option for "increasing your capacity" as an EMT-Intermediate. I don't think any agencies in the area use them anymore so there's no training for them anymore.

Be a really good EMT. That's the best way to increase your capacity!

I had been a AEMTI from 1997 till 2006 & had worked as a I at Empress as well as other locations. Yes places are still using I's & CCs. 2 of my present partners are. I tell you from experience that taking the I & working as a I is great experience & is a step to be a better medic.

Yes times are changing & I am not to sure of the future of these programs. If you can find a class take it. Knowledge is never a waist of time

spc0806 likes this

you can become an EMT CC and EMT I in long island and in upstate NY, In westchester its a little harder but there are a couple of EMT Is around. They are working in a Paramedic agency and typically under and or with a paramedic as far as I know. The I and CC exist to save towns and villages money upstate and in long island. alot of FD/VACs in long Island typically hire only EMT I or CC to staff there ambulance and Nassau County PD has the Medic service mostly secured out there.

Don't waste your time with the "I" program. It has no traction in this area and I would argue the same for areas upstate. Work on being a strong seasoned BLS provider and if you want to move foward in EMS (probably a bit of a oxymoron) go to paramedic school - it will afford you better training and career opportunities.

Long Island is also changing with the times - more and more agencies are looking toward paramedic level service.

As was said before the CC program was maintained due to the lack of paramedic services in upstate regions.

Edited by Goose

Main reason is because my agency is going from a BLS to an ILS. I am solely interested in EMS for volunteering purposes which is why I am not interested in the paramedic cert. The majority of members are EMT-B as am I but I want to be one of the few that are EMT-I.

Any comments on how long it will take for most EMT-I programs? Also what are clinical hours all about?

When I took the "I" class at Dutchess about 4 years ago, it was the first class they had given in about 10 years. I don't believe they have had it since, although MLSS had held a couple. But, before the new state curriculum, it was about 180 hrs of class room and almost that much in clinicals.

The clinical hours were ER time for pt assessment/observation, Same Day Surgery for IV skills, and ambulance ride alongs for everything. We missed out on OR time for intubations because of a large medic class and they got priority. Plus we had to do papers on case studies for some of our patients.

Like Opie said, learning and knowledge is never a waste. I took the class because I was laid off, had the time, and belonged to an ALS agency so the state reimbursed them for it and it didn't cost me anything.