Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seal Medic

Physician Assistant as Medic in NYS

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone know anything about a Physician Assistant riding as a Medic in NYS? or Maybe being able to get away just with a EMTP refresher?

x635 likes this

Does anyone know anything about a Physician Assistant riding as a Medic in NYS? or Maybe being able to get away just with a EMTP refresher?

You're going to have to contact NYS-DOH. Doesn't count the fact that you still need regional authorization to "work" as a medic (REMAC).

x635 likes this

When I was in Pennsylvania recall there being a certification called pre hospital registered nurse that allowed them to ride in place of a medic. I wonder if there is similar for PA's.

x635 likes this

I know some rigs, mostly the specialized inter-facility transport rigs have RNs on their crew, but that's because the patients they're transporting are usually using specialized equipment that's above the medic certification. I've never heard of a PA being on an ambulance (I'd assume they'd make more not working on an ambulance), but they might be able to get a waver or something from the DOH to take the paramedic challenge, but they'd definilty have to take the remac exam.

x635 likes this

I know some rigs, mostly the specialized inter-facility transport rigs have RNs on their crew, but that's because the patients they're transporting are usually using specialized equipment that's above the medic certification. I've never heard of a PA being on an ambulance (I'd assume they'd make more not working on an ambulance), but they might be able to get a waver or something from the DOH to take the paramedic challenge, but they'd definilty have to take the remac exam.

New Jersey requires an RN on board for ALS transports. Paramedics can transport patients on pumps, vents, nitrous, ECMO (usually with a fellow), balloon pumps, etc in New York State without an RN.

...Back to topic. Good luck with the DOH. I'm curious as to what they say.

Edited by comical115
x635 likes this

In NYC I had the pleasure of riding on 46W with a Medic that was also a Dr as well as a Pa that was a Medic. That was some intense shifts at John's

Good luck with DOH

In NYC I had the pleasure of riding on 46W with a Medic that was also a Dr as well as a Pa that was a Medic. That was some intense shifts at John's

Good luck with DOH

Were they medics prior to becoming Dr. and PA?

You can enroll in a Paramedic Original class. The CIC can give you advance standing based on the results of written and practical challenge exam. You will need to complete field and clinical rotations depending on your specialty. NYS DOH EMS phone number is 518-402-0996.

Bnechis and Dinosaur like this

New Jersey has a PA/trauma resident fly are system. I don't know too much about it but that they work in the filed as a doc and have ALOT more toys and drugs then a medic ever would

This is a very interesting topic to me because I am currently in school to become a PA. I believe that if there is some sort of "bridge" program to become a medic that it would be very beneficial for the PA to complete a certain number of hours actively on an ambulance. After working on an ambulance for the past 3 years as a EMT-B as well as helping out in a hospital, they are two very different environments. Who knows though, I am not the NYS DOH.