Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arbrow06

Employment Woes

14 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I was hoping that you guys could help me brainstorm of places to work.

I am currently taking a year off from my university and will be taking classes at SUNY WCC for the year exactly 12 months. I was wondering what would my options be for working a strict part time schedule because I have school then soccer 4 days a week.

Any help.

My schedule is Mo We from about 2 - 10pm . Thu 7-10pm and Sun 10-6pm.

I will be busy during these times. What can I do as a EMT-B that will work around my rigid schedule.

I would check for per diem EMT positions. The way the schedule is now, you have full availability Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday, and Thursday day shifts.

That should be enough to get on per diem somewhere or even part time, depending on how flexible they are.

I don't know where you are living but the main companies in Westchester are

Empress

Transcare

Westchester EMS

EMStar (Care 1)

I would check for per diem EMT positions. The way the schedule is now, you have full availability Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday, and Thursday day shifts.

That should be enough to get on per diem somewhere or even part time, depending on how flexible they are.

I don't know where you are living but the main companies in Westchester are

Empress

Transcare

Westchester EMS

EMStar (Care 1)

Thanks. Can you explain per diem to me a little bit more. I never fully understood what that is.

Also, I am 20 years old and I live in Mt. Vernon. I would rely on public transportation to get to work. If that helps. I know Transcare in Mt. Vernon doesn't take 20 y.o. because of insurance.

Thanks. Can you explain per diem to me a little bit more. I never fully understood what that is.

Also, I am 20 years old and I live in Mt. Vernon. I would rely on public transportation to get to work. If that helps. I know Transcare in Mt. Vernon doesn't take 20 y.o. because of insurance.

Most of the commercials require you be 21 to drive but will hire you if you are younger....you just get stuck teching every job (maybe not a bad thing if you need / want the experience). Empress will hire you younger than 21 under the above stipulation.

As far as per diem work - you basically work whatever tours you can based on how you availability lines up with what tours the agency has open. Essentially, you work when you want. Some places have monthly availability requirements in terms of the hours you have to make yourself available to work, others don't. Given that you're somewhat limited by public transportation you may want to try to find agencies close to bus routes or the metro north lines. I know a number of the river towns hire per diem EMTs....they tend to be slower (so you can study) and pay a bit more than the commercials.

Edited by Goose

Sounds like age discrimination to me

Its an insurance thing.

As far as per diem work - you basically work whatever tours you can based on how you availability lines up with what tours the agency has open. Essentially, you work when you want. Some places have monthly availability requirements in terms of the hours you have to make yourself available to work, others don't. Given that you're somewhat limited by public transportation you may want to try to find agencies close to bus routes or the metro north lines. I know a number of the river towns hire per diem EMTs....they tend to be slower (so you can study) and pay a bit more than the commercials.

I am not familiar with the Westchester County paid operations since I was trained and worked previously upstate because I see alot of volleys. Any recommendations. I am willing to work for really any agency in lower Westchester. I will make it work. Also by being per diem would it them make sense to work for multiple agencies?

Empress will not hire per-diems. If you work full time and are decent, they will let you drop down to per-diem after a good 6 months of good work Hx. Cannot speak for other providors. I suggest WEMS.

How wedded are you to working in Westchester.

If you are willing to work in NYC, the opportunities expand greatly just due to the sheer increase in commercial services there

Empress will not hire per-diems. If you work full time and are decent, they will let you drop down to per-diem after a good 6 months of good work Hx. Cannot speak for other providors. I suggest WEMS.

Man this just knocked out 2 of the 4 commercials in Westchester (womp :/)

It is so hard to work in EMS part time it seems.

How wedded are you to working in Westchester.

If you are willing to work in NYC, the opportunities expand greatly just due to the sheer increase in commercial services there

I am not very wedded but I felt that it would be a system I am more comfortable with being that I like to work in the community where I live.

Can you tell me more about NYC oppurtunities?

Another suggestion is a P/T Security Officer. I work p/t for Allied Barton. I like the job and the site I work at pays pretty good. I don't think you have to be 21 years old to do it. I also worked p/t for Securitas Security for several years. Maybe you can check out their web sites.

It's tough today for any younger person out there. I had a much better opportunity when I was 20 years old. I took the test for the Post Office and started p/t. Flunked out of a Community College and decided to go f/t at the post office. Five years later took the test for the Fire Dept with 87 other people for one opening. As it turned out after two years, about 10-12 of us were hired from that list. Worked 30 years, got promoted and retired with a decent pension and benefits. As it turned out, "I sure am glad I flunked out of that college".

But it's not the same today. College degrees are required more today for the same or similiar jobs. If you are interested, somebody mentioned about the FDNY/EMS. There is promotional opportunities within the system, a retirement plan and probadly some decent benefits. I think your time would count if you went to another job in NYC as a firefighter or police officer etc.

Let me say this though, a college degree does not promise a good job. In my own case, I was able to get a good job first and then do a few college courses part time. Everything worked out. But if I were you, I'd start to try and get my foot in the door for any job that will offer you some type of benefits and security. You could always improve your situtation. I have seen so many young college grads looking for work.

The medical field is usually a good choice, but you have to be willing to put the time in to get there. And we will always need plumbers, electricians, and car mechanics. How many younger people are willing to do that. But there's money to be made.

And finally I will say this. As the saying goes, "if you enjoy your work, you never work a day in your life". As a firefighter, I found that to be true and I think most others will agree. It's not just about how much money you can make. It's satisfaction in doing a job you enjoy. I find that true today in my p/t security guard job also. So with that said, I guess I haven't worked since about 1975.

x129K and 99subi like this

Sounds like age discrimination to me

its not its the insurance companies, now not hiring you because your under 21 is another thing.

nycmedic likes this

Just got an interview with SeniorCare in the Bronx. Any one have insight on the company?

And the operations?

"Arbrow06", I hope when you do land a job you let us know how things turned out.

I notice that on your profile, you list "EMT". Like somebody said, a future with the FDNY/EMS might not be a bad choice. I'm sure you get more pay if you move onto a paramedic, and if you wanted there are promotional opportunities if you apply yourself. I'm sure they also offer decent medical coverage and a decent retirement package.

With a city of 7 or 8 million people, there will always be a need for EMS. It's tough work but I'm sure helping people everyday gives some job satisfaction. Of course the cost of living is very high in the NYC area.

Here's something else to consider. If you decide to buy a home, think about a two family. I did that at age 26 and had no idea on how to be a landlord. But somehow it worked out. I had help paying my mortage, got a decent tax write off every year, and now with the house fully paid off, that rental income is sure nice. It worked out so good that I ended up buying another two family about two miles from my house. My brother now rents one of the apartments and that house is also fully paid for.

I've had to take only one person to court in about 40 years. I found that if I give the tennants a $25.00 rebate for early rental payments, I don't have to chase them for the money. It works out great for all of us.

So because I think I may have made a few right moves in my life, I've given you my lifes story. I would do everything all over again if I had the chance. For me now staying healthy is what I try to do, but money is not something I worry about. I am not trying to play the role of a millionaire because I am not. I worked for everything I have. But it's nice to be able to enjoy retirement without money problems. I just wanted to share my story with you and other younger members on here.

Arbrow06, calhobs and sfrd18 like this