Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LFD171

More New Apparatus

13 posts in this topic

Today's journal news states that Mt. Vernon is accepting bids for a new 95ft Tower Ladder. It also says that Yorktown Heights board of commisioners is meeting to discuss a new ladder truck. I thought Yorktown was keeping their old seagrave for a while longer. Any idea what they are looking at for a replacement. Since they are big on KME, how about a twin to Ossining's L41?

I wonder if that 95' foot tower for Mount Vernon would be (or will be) an Aerialscope?

From the Journal News legal notices:

2/25/04 - Briarcliff Manor 5 section 95' Mid-Mount Aerial Ladder/Platform - bid opening April 7, 2004

2/27/04 - Yorktown Heights sale of 1968 Seagrave Ladder Truck

Yorktown Heights is looking for a low profile ladder to fit in to they station 1

Another department switching from a straight stick to a tower? Am I alone or is this tower craze starting to get out of hand?

It is soon they will be special calling for straight sticks instead of towers

The problem isn't that people are buying towers. It's who is buying a tower. Does Mt. Vernon need a tower.... Maybe I couldn't say as I'm not familiar with what they already have vs. their building exposure...

The problem is all the departments that bought towers because they "liked them" not because they need them. People percieve that they have a need without research. Such as "we have a shopping center or a school so we need a tower" WRONG. One facility (assuming it's not a 5000 acre industrial site or something like that) doesn't create the need for a tower. It's unfortunate that districts don't look at what surrounds them before they purchase. How many cascades does the county need. How many heavy rescues (not that many companies are really fully trained to act in the capacity of a heavy rescue either) do we need. How many towers... etc. Right now Mount Pleasant has 4 towers. Chappaqua just bought one. Sleepy Hollow's got one. So if you want a straight job..... the only way to get a 100 footer is to call Kisco Ossining or Briarcliff. Seems like a long way to call when there are 6 ladders available but none are straight sticks... I'm not singling out one Mt. Pleasant Dept... Just the general idea. There is too much identical equipment sitting side by side from town to town. I commend Katonah and Bedford Village for operating successfully without a ladder. I commend Mohegan for not owning a rescue. I commend Ossining for not putting a cascade one their rescue. I commend Buchanan for providing a unique service unit with the new Utility.

MFC2257....Bedford Hills has Tower Ladder 57, which runs dual response into Bedford Village and Katonah Fire Districts.

SteveOFD.... Lader 51 is not being sold Engine 274 is.

LFD171.... Yorktown has been running with a straight stick (100' midmount Seagrave) for over 35 years. We are looking to replace it soon with a straight stick. A 100' rear mount. One that will meet our needs and fit in our HQ. And with a door opening of 127" There is only one Company out there that make this ladder truck and has been making for many years. Now on to (they are big on KME). The first KME (Engine 271) was the specs of a Pierce. KME came in 33k less then Pierce and giving us more for our money. Engine 273 were the same specs KME came in lower. Engine 270 was a NY State bid contract engine.

Yorktown has owned many brand name engine from and REO to a Seagrave. So to say were big on KME. Well I think you should talk to EMTBravo he has been on all the apparatus that YHFD has Even the 1934

Sorry... I was typing fast.... I meant Bedford Village that doesn't have a ladder... How could I forget that sweet lookin Seagrave Baker in B. Hills. ..... My point was to say that there is a good system in place for B. Village and Katonah because they have an ladder available to them from B. Hills.

I think you should talk to EMTBravo he has been on all the apparatus that YHFD has Even the 1934

1. Good thing Ladder 51 is not being sold. I am for a new truck for YHFD, but against the disposal of Ladder 51.

2. I've had the oppurtunity to see (and experience) every Yorktown rig thanks to a certain person :D . One of the reason's I like Yorktown's rigs is becaused they are spec'd well. Doesn't matter to me if it's a KME or a Seagrave. What it basically comes down to for me is specs. Can it do the job and can it do that job well? Sure, KME has some quality problems, but so have plenty of other manufacturers. Yorktown has rigs from a variety of manufacturers (Seagrave,Pierce,KME, International/Saulsbury,Rescuestuff,Cobi Custom Trailers to name a few). They may be from different manufacturers, but they are all spec'd to meet the needs of the YHFD FF's. Proper maitenence and dealer care is another part of this, but I'm not going to get into that now. Also, as YTPC said, it was bought on state bid, which saved the district money allowing them to reinvest that money in other equipment upgrades.

3. Bedford Hills. Tower Ladder 57. I've personally witnessed how hard people involved with that truck company work to make it work. From the intensive research and development they did when they were still in truck comittee,to the mounting of equipment, to the preplanning and continous training they do with themselves and the neighboring MA districts, to the pride they take in it, to the way it is shared within Northern Westchester. They didn't just go out and buy a ladder to have a ladder, they built a truck that works for them, and they built the truck company to make the ladder work. And it looks quite good too :D What I'm trying to say in a nutshell, you get back what you put in.

1/27/04 Arlington - City Council Item "This purchase is for two new fire apparatus to replace two existing front-line fire apparatus that have reached the end of their service life. The purchase includes: Crimson Fire "Star" Series Custom 100' Aerial Apparatus $620,971 Crimson Fire "Star" Series Custom Pumper $365,017 A pre-construction conference and three inspection conferences to ensure that all systems are addressed prior to and during construction $ 12,000 An H-GAC administrative fee $ 2,000 The total cost of the purchase is $999,988. "

The Engine will replace the last remaining 1994 KME currently in service as Engine 13. As for the Quint, I have no idea where it will be stationed as all five Quints are 1998 or newer.

From the March 16,2004 Journal News - Yorktown Heights Fire District - Special Election for adoption of Bond Resolution $740,000 for acquisition of ladder fire truck. Vote April 19,2005"?" 6PM to 9PM at Station 1.