Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Take Off Without Turning Off

6 posts in this topic

From jetBlue....other airlines are also following this..

November 4, 2013

Gate-to-gate electronics

We see you. We see you sneaking that last minute text message on your phone, hiding your e-reader in a magazine, or pretending to just look out the window on landing while you’re actually recording a video with your camera. But as of last Friday, we’ll now be able to leave you to our own devices.

That’s right, personal electronic devices are now able to be used through all phases of any JetBlue flight, gate-to-gate.

In fact, the first US airline flight allowing gate-to-gate use of electronic devices occurred on Friday when our own JetBlue flight 2302 pushed back from our gate at JFK T5 gate shortly after 4:30 in the afternoon to head out to Buffalo, NY.

I think the one aspect they fail to mention is, personal safety. We know the most dangerous aspects of flight is take-off and landings. If there is an emergency, the crew needs to relay important information and directions. If people are fiddling with their personal electronic, they are less likely to pay attention to their surroundings. I think any distractions should be banned during take-off and landing, especially electronic devices (and not for the technical reasons).

markmets415 and x635 like this

What did we do years ago before the days of cell phones, lap-tops, and other electronical devices. I for one think it is a bad idea. I am sure we can go without our gadgets for a while.

Really?? Has the NTSB or the FCC proved that a cell phone being use on an aircraft can cause a crash?? No they haven't.

HOWEVER....

if the airline asked you to shut down, what is the big deal, shut down. Enjoy the in-flight food, movie, read a book, do a word search, or catch a nap.

I travel a fair amount by air, I shut down when I board the aircraft, and I turn my cell on after I leave the aircraft. It is my excuse to dis-connect from the world.

And I got pretty good at word search.

ex-commish likes this

I just flew last week and it was nice to be able to listen to my music the whole time. I must say I didn't pay attention to their safety presentation at all, but it was no where near my first time flying. Also any device over 2lbs must be put away during take off and landing.