spin_the_wheel

Westchester Fire Fieldcom units

6 posts in this topic

On the fire end of things who has mobile fieldcom/command post units?

I know Yonkers has their own unit, who mans it civilian dispatchers or firefighters and is it available to respond anywhere in Westchester if needed?

60 control do they have a larger unit and a smaller unit? Who mans these units the dispatchers? Any other departments have one...New Roc, White Plains?

Do the people manning the units have Class A fire gear if they are not firefighters?

Who acts as Supervisor/boss on the units?

In the event of a really large scale incident is there any plan to use all the units? Like one for operations, one for logistics, one for planning to work with the NIIMS system?

Does the Westchester office of emergency management have their own? Are they included in anyone's large scale plan.

I know this is a lot of questions but Nassau had a large brush fire last week and we had 3 fieldcom units working together on day 2 of the incident. Once you got over the ego trip of "this should be our fire" the 3 units worked very well together.

Thanks Guys.

Edited by spin_the_wheel

Westchester County DES & Yonkers FD. Some FDs have a vehicle with radios and a table in it, and consider that a FC or CP unit.

I know Yonkers has their own unit, who mans it civilian dispatchers or firefighters and is it available to respond anywhere in Westchester if needed?

60 control do they have a larger unit and a smaller unit? Who mans these units the dispatchers? Any other departments have one...New Roc, White Plains? One larger unit, Field Comm 1. Staffed by 60 Control personnel.

Do the people manning the units have Class A fire gear if they are not firefighters? Nope.

Who acts as Supervisor/boss on the units? A Lieutenant or the Senior Operator.

In the event of a really large scale incident is there any plan to use all the units? Like one for operations, one for logistics, one for planning to work with the NIIMS system? Pause...NOT!

Does the Westchester office of emergency management have their own? Are they included in anyone's large scale plan. Our FC 1 is there for OEM and anyone else who needs it.

I know this is a lot of questions but Nassau had a large brush fire last week and we had 3 fieldcom units working together on day 2 of the incident. Once you got over the ego trip of "this should be our fire" the 3 units worked very well together. We have worked with others before, and it's not really an issue. CALL US NEXT TIME, PLEASE! LOL

Thanks Guys.

EmsFirePolice and sfrd18 like this

Not sure if your enquiry was all Field Coms in the county or just FD but Greenburgh Police operate a larger field com unit as well.

In regards to your question about a different Field Comm for Ops, Logs, Plans, etc. I think you're using the idea of Field Comm and an Incident Management team interchangeably, when they are typically two very different resources.

velcroMedic1987 likes this

In regards to your question about a different Field Comm for Ops, Logs, Plans, etc. I think you're using the idea of Field Comm and an Incident Management team interchangeably, when they are typically two very different resources.

You would think so, but at the incident I am speaking of there were over 40 incoming mutual aid companies from 2 counties. The area for the command post was ideal to stage the 3 units. Each unit had a specific area of responsibility with the appropriate rep from the host dept in their particular IC role. Each unit had all the necessary freq's and the communication between the 3 went well. I think this system worked well especially when there was a chance to be operating for a few days.

WHFD204 likes this

Westchester County DES & Yonkers FD. Some FDs have a vehicle with radios and a table in it, and consider that a FC or CP unit.

60 control do they have a larger unit and a smaller unit? Who mans these units the dispatchers? Any other departments have one...New Roc, White Plains? One larger unit, Field Comm 1. Staffed by 60 Control personnel.

Do the people manning the units have Class A fire gear if they are not firefighters? Nope.

Who acts as Supervisor/boss on the units? A Lieutenant or the Senior Operator.

In the event of a really large scale incident is there any plan to use all the units? Like one for operations, one for logistics, one for planning to work with the NIIMS system? Pause...NOT!

Does the Westchester office of emergency management have their own? Are they included in anyone's large scale plan. Our FC 1 is there for OEM and anyone else who needs it.

I know this is a lot of questions but Nassau had a large brush fire last week and we had 3 fieldcom units working together on day 2 of the incident. Once you got over the ego trip of "this should be our fire" the 3 units worked very well together. We have worked with others before, and it's not really an issue. CALL US NEXT TIME, PLEASE! LOL

Thanks Guys.

Thanks for the info.

When 60 control's unit is called how does it deploy? With a dispatcher that's working taking the rig or are dispatchers called in from home? Or does a supervisor take the truck?

Nassau County uses an on duty dispatcher to take the truck with the closest off duty supervisor going to the scene to meet the truck. Minimum manning for the truck is 2. Usually the number 1 or 2 Chief from our communications center will also respond as well as the county Fire Marshal or his assistant.

A dispatcher is called in from home to report to the dispatch center to cover the open spot. Minimum manning 24/7 is 5 dispatchers and one supervisor.