61MACKBR1

Any Alarm Assignment Info from yesteday's Yonkers 4 Alarm Fire?

37 posts in this topic

Ive responded numerous times to neighboring Depts. and they usually assign a Chief and Line Officer(guide) to assist you.

If that was the case I'd understand your sentiment as long as the departments were operating at nearly the same level (training, quality and tactics). I expect that that covers a few of the FD's noted in the OP. There's often such a wide margin, we require a chief officer from our own department, but we don't have any other career FD's in the area. That would also be cause to skip over 'closer' FD's favoring ones that can easily operate at a similar level without dependent factors (time of day, day of week, popular elected officers, etc).

Edited by antiquefirelt

It's a travesty that in 2013 we have such different levels of service in the highest taxed county in the entire Country!

Am I correct in stating that only ONE FD meets the standards of NFPA 1710 or 1720?

FirNaTine likes this

In theory only one meets 1710 (I say theory because without response time data, we do not know if they actually meet it or not).

I do not know if any meet 1720 which is a volunteer standard, but its so watered down that NYS Insurance Commissioner signed of on 1710 for evaluating ISO ratings even of volunteer depts.

From my understanding, the bus was requested in order to provide temporary shelter for the evacuated (later displaced) residents of 371 South Broadway (the 4-story/48-unit apartment building next to the fire building). I don't know whether it was OEM, FD, or PD who made the request. Once the Red Cross with OEM set up a Reception Center at a nearby church, the Bee-Line bus was released after a few hours of service and cleared the scene. I'm sure the bus could also have been used for firefighters, but I only saw it being utilized by a dozen or so civilians.

I could be mistaken, so feel free to correct me if that's the case.

I saw a few yonkers police officers inside as I walked by

In theory only one meets 1710 (I say theory because without response time data, we do not know if they actually meet it or not).

I do not know if any meet 1720 which is a volunteer standard, but its so watered down that NYS Insurance Commissioner signed of on 1710 for evaluating ISO ratings even of volunteer depts.

One out of 59. Not impressive performance by anyone's standard.

We are truly pathetic!

FirNaTine likes this

One out of 59. Not impressive performance by anyone's standard.

We are truly pathetic!

Its not out of 59

Volunteer & Combo Departments are not held to 1710 (except for insurance grading). They are held to 1720 which is a lower standard.

Its not out of 59

Volunteer & Combo Departments are not held to 1710 (except for insurance grading). They are held to 1720 which is a lower standard.

My point remains the same. I'm willing to bet none of the volunteer FD's comply with 1720 either so we're at 1 out of 59 and that is pathetic!

FirNaTine and Bnechis like this