Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMT111

NYS AEMT training question

10 posts in this topic

So I have two questions. First, New Windsor has listed that they provide EMT-I training for their members. I have never heard of an EMT-I course in Orange County let alone Southern NY, since we don't really use EMT-Is. I would be interested in taking an EMT-I if there was one being offered in the Orange County area, so I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about where the EMT-I course New Windsor participates in is, or if the EMT-I training is something old on their website that hasn't been updated. Secondly if someone where to move up through the different levels of certification in NY, (i.e. EMT-B, AEMT-I, AEMT-CC) and then wanted to move up to Paramedic, would they still have to take the full year long course, or is there an abbreviated version since the EMT-CC already has a lot of the skills and knowledge that the Medic has?

Thanks

EMT-I no longer exists, it is now AEMT. CC is a NY certification and both are only recognized in Regions that allow them. You would have to complete an entire medic class as an AEMT or CC unless the CIC offers advanced standing based on pre-entry testing. CC's do not learn nearly as much as medics. My experience with CC's coming to medic class is that he/she needs to take entire course.

New Windsor is able to operate at an Intermediate (AEMT) level easier because they have their own paramedics and ALS supplies etc. There was a great interest about 3 years ago between New Windsor and many EMTs at Mobile Life so Mobile Life held a course. In my opinion, just go straight to paramedic and work while you're in school, you'll know if you're cut out for it or not.

So I have two questions. First, New Windsor has listed that they provide EMT-I training for their members. I have never heard of an EMT-I course in Orange County let alone Southern NY, since we don't really use EMT-Is. I would be interested in taking an EMT-I if there was one being offered in the Orange County area, so I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about where the EMT-I course New Windsor participates in is, or if the EMT-I training is something old on their website that hasn't been updated. Secondly if someone where to move up through the different levels of certification in NY, (i.e. EMT-B, AEMT-I, AEMT-CC) and then wanted to move up to Paramedic, would they still have to take the full year long course, or is there an abbreviated version since the EMT-CC already has a lot of the skills and knowledge that the Medic has?

Thanks

In theroy this is how it can/is supposed to work, however I don't know of any medic program that would give you credit for "time served" in lower level classes. I don't even think nor have I heard of anyone even allowing credit from CFR to EMT. Most EMT programs require you to attend all sessions, even, sometimes, if they where the ones who gave you your CFR course. Lastly, it seems the long way around to the final goal of becomeing a medic with, yes, some redundancy and probably double the class time alone. Plus if you are counting on state reimbursement to help pay because you belong to an EMS agency you should know that there is/will be a restriction or at least a reduction in $ if classes are taken to close to one another. if you're sure that this is the carrear for you make the jump and take the medic class, if you're new (my definition of this is not having gone through at least 1 refresher) take the time to experience EMS, the time here in patient contact time aid you in class and will not be wasted. Good Luck

if you're sure that this is the carrear for you make the jump and take the medic class, if you're new (my definition of this is not having gone through at least 1 refresher) take the time to experience EMS, the time here in patient contact time aid you in class and will not be wasted. Good Luck

While I can't say that working EMS is going to be my career, I can say that I love being a part of EMS and will be staying active no matter what as at ;east a vollie. My ultimate career goal is to get into a PD ESU unit, and most of the ESUs I know are at least ALS capable, so that would be the primary reason for getting my Medic. The problem is now, that as a recent college graduate, I need to find a job that pays me enough, or will get me state reimbursement, and allows me a flexible enough schedule that I have enough time to get to the class (the closest one is 45 minutes away) and take it, since the course is now almost 1400 hours.

since the course is now almost 1400 hours.

Short course, Mine was over 1,500 hours. and that was 30 years ago. Plus unlike now they required at least 1 year ALS experience to get in.

While I can't say that working EMS is going to be my career, I can say that I love being a part of EMS and will be staying active no matter what as at ;east a vollie. My ultimate career goal is to get into a PD ESU unit, and most of the ESUs I know are at least ALS capable, so that would be the primary reason for getting my Medic. The problem is now, that as a recent college graduate, I need to find a job that pays me enough, or will get me state reimbursement, and allows me a flexible enough schedule that I have enough time to get to the class (the closest one is 45 minutes away) and take it, since the course is now almost 1400 hours.

Other than White Plains, what other ESU is ALS capable?

Other than White Plains, what other ESU is ALS capable?

Greenburgh PD, NYPD, Nassau and Suffolk County PD's.

Greenburgh PD, NYPD, Nassau and Suffolk County PD's.

Does Greenburgh PD have an ALS ESU or an EMS division with police paramedics?

NYPD ESU is ALS? Really?

Nassau and Suffolk both have ambulance divisions. Are you saying that all their ESU cops are medics as well?

NYPD ESU is ALS? Really?

NYPD ESU has been ALS for a while. They are primarily tactical medics, but they also do ALS care for civilians in emergencies and will fly with the aviation unit on rescue operations.