87D124

Town of Wallkill Ambulance - New ALS Provider

23 posts in this topic

Effective tomorrow, 2/13/2014 at 0001 hours, the new ALS provider for the Town of Wallkill will be EMStar EMS.

Edited by 87D124

I just heard from someone that Wallkill will have a medic on each rig, maybe contracted through EMStar, but that Wallkill is now an ALS agency and that EMStar is backup?

Do you know what it actually is?

As of right now, there will be an EMStar Paramedic assigned 24/7 to TOWVAC. The EMStar medic will be on a TOWVAC ambulance with a TOWVAC EMT. EMStar will also have BLS & ALS ambulances stationed in the area to handle mutual aid requests from TOWVAC.

Good Job EMStar

Edited by COVAC20

This is not bashing. Kudos for a dedicated medic.

This is just a procedural question. Under what provision of Article 30 does the medic operate? It's not as an ALSFR and TOWVAC isn't an ALS agency. Seems to be a loophole in Article 30, imagine that?

I heard that TOWVAC is becoming an ALS agency. I know that as of right now, they have at least 1 member in Paramedic school

It would be no different than if an EMSTAR Fly car responded to a call with TOWVAC, then got aboard TOWVACs bus to ride the job in ALS to the hospital.

It would be no different than if an EMSTAR Fly car responded to a call with TOWVAC, then got aboard TOWVACs bus to ride the job in ALS to the hospital.

Same as Tuxedo's been doing for years with RPS

87D124 likes this

EM111,

That is a PERFECT explanation!!!!

Thank you!!

So is TOWVAC only running one rig now with an EMT and the EMStar medic? I remember a year or two ago, they were running (or wanted to run) a truck 24 hours a day and then they had a second truck that was a 12 hour truck during the busy hours from 1000 to 2200. I know they've had cut backs since then, but if it's only the one EMT with the Medic, that would mean they cut 4 out of every 6 paid EMTs they had, which seems like alot.

From what I was told the ambulances would be running with 3. 2 TOWVAC EMTs and a medic

Yes, there will be 2 TOWVAC EMTs and 1 EMStar Paramedic together on a TOWVAC bus. If a patient requires ALS treatment, the EMStar Paramedic will provide care. If the patient is determined to be BLS, the TOWVAC EMT will provide care. In addition, EMStar will have extra BLS & ALS buses in the area, which will provide BLS & ALS mutual aid to TOWVAC.

Also, TOWVAC is in the process of becoming an ALS agency. EMStar is in FULL SUPPORT of TOWVAC getting upgraded to ALS. This is in stark comparison to the FORMER ALS provider who covered Wallkill. The "OTHER" ALS provider DOES NOT support TOWVAC being upgraded to an ALS agency. They went to the Wallkill Town Board and told them that they can provide BLS & ALS services to the town cheaper than what TOWVAC can. This was another blatant attempt by "THEM" to get another VAC shut down, so they can take over.

Edited by 87D124
Danger likes this

All is can say is "IT IS ABOUT TIME". Wallkill VAC has been trying for years to get rid of MLSS as their ALS and mutual aid provider. I am glad that the current administration of Wallkill VAC was able to make these steps in the right direction. MLSS showed their true colors when they played a big part in Chester VAC getting shut down. Maybe they thought that they could just walk in and do the same thing to Wallkill. I guess they were wrong!!

Kudos to WALLKILL for doing the best they can for the people that they serve.

RWC130 likes this

If a patient requires ALS treatment, the EMStar Paramedic will provide care. If the patient is determined to be BLS, the TOWVAC EMT will provide care.

So essentially: if the call is ALS, the P writes the report; if BLS, then the B writes it?

Or does the EMStar not even go hands on if it is a BLS call?

Yes, there will be 2 TOWVAC EMTs and 1 EMStar Paramedic together on a TOWVAC bus. If a patient requires ALS treatment, the EMStar Paramedic will provide care. If the patient is determined to be BLS, the TOWVAC EMT will provide care. In addition, EMStar will have extra BLS & ALS buses in the area, which will provide BLS & ALS mutual aid to TOWVAC.

Also, TOWVAC is in the process of becoming an ALS agency. EMStar is in FULL SUPPORT of TOWVAC getting upgraded to ALS. This is in stark comparison to the FORMER ALS provider who covered Wallkill. The "OTHER" ALS provider DOES NOT support TOWVAC being upgraded to an ALS agency. They went to the Wallkill Town Board and told them that they can provide BLS & ALS services to the town cheaper than what TOWVAC can. This was another blatant attempt by "THEM" to get another VAC shut down, so they can take over.

Once again you are using this forum to bash Mobile Life. Did the change occur because of poor quality by the former or was the service put out to bid? Or was it the all to common our members work for ABC ambulance so lets hire them?

I can honestly state I have no stake in the game do not and have never worked for Mobile Life but I have found on the whole they are a professionally run company that provides excelent service.

Think about it from the "other" provider's point of view. if TOWVAC goes ALS, they would have lost that entire town of Wallkill, one of the busiest districts in the county, which means they're not making money off of all those patients. As for their statement to the Town of Wallkill board, did they just go to the board, or was this statement made during a meeting they were invited into to talk about dropping them as an ALS provider and they were making the case on why they should stay the ALS provider?

Once again here goes the bashing of Mobile Life. If you are so butthurt over it big deal. Don't come on to a forum and start bad mouthing another agency. When it comes down to it, Mobile Life is a professional agency and has been run like one for years. Hence the expansion and the recognition the agency has. TOWVAC for years has talked about going and becoming a ALS agency. Good for them for finally going ahead and making that happen. They have had quite a bit of ups and downs and if this brings them into a good position for the areas they service then so be it. Is it a huge loss to Mobile Life? Yes it is. The Town of Wallkill is a busy area and will continue to be. But on a serious note, quite coming on to a forum and start bashing a agency because you are butthurt over them. If you have such a issue with Mobile Life, bring it to them directly instead of sitting behind a computer and talking trash. In the end all it does is make you look like a tool and a pot stirrer and seriously if you have the time to sit there at the computer and do that, well then just goes to show what kind of person you are off of here. Yes it is news that people want to hear about i'm sure as Mobile Life has been prominent in Orange County for many years but no one wants to hear someone being a douche and running their mouth about a company

That is not how tuxedo works with the medic. The medic is contracted by the town and is housed in tuxedo ambulance building with them. Yes if the call is ALS the medic while ride it in with a driver only. This is going to be interesting to see how this works for towvac. Does this mean that they are going paid 24/7?

I think it's more similar to how Blooming Grove ran years ago. Before they had their own medics, they had Regional EMS medics.

So does that mean that towvac first rig is going to be paid 24/7 and then they are going to have the vollies pick up 2nd and 3rd rig jobs?

Anything I say here in the forums, I would gladly say to any of the MLSS administrators if we were face to face. Oh, wait a minute. I have done that already.

That is not how tuxedo works with the medic. The medic is contracted by the town and is housed in tuxedo ambulance building with them. Yes if the call is ALS the medic while ride it in with a driver only. This is going to be interesting to see how this works for towvac. Does this mean that they are going paid 24/7?

Tuxedo (the Town) has a Medic in the RPS fly car (medic 31) and then they staff a rig (don't know if it's the town or the corps) with a contracted EMT from RPS, at least during the day time hours, so the medic goes on all calls 24/7, and has to either ride in or drive the rig in on most of the calls. I wasn't talking about who pays for what, rather how they operate.

So does that mean that towvac first rig is going to be paid 24/7 and then they are going to have the vollies pick up 2nd and 3rd rig jobs?

TOWVAC has been staffing at least 1 BLS truck per tour for at least the last 5 years if not longer, I'm not sure when they went paid.

Edited by EMT111

So far, this new relationship between TOWVAC & EMStar seems to be working well.