Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMT111

Radio Holsters

7 posts in this topic

So I have some questions about radio holders. I have been a volly EMT for several years and am now going paid, meaning I'll be wearing a portable 12 hours at a time, which I'm not thrilled with, particularly having the mic clipped on me somewhere (I like the mic itself though). I'd like to get a radio holder, that the mic can attach to as well. I've been looking at the radio holders/straps that Boston Leather and others make. However I've noticed that the radio strap has stayed a FD thing and never really made it's way into EMS and I'm wondering if there's a specific reason why the radio strap has never crossed over from FD to EMS. Also, if anyone has any ideas on alternative radio holders, I don't really know much about them.

Straps get in the way too much. I don't even use one for FD. I used to use a universal radio holster with a swivel in the buff belt days. Now I clip the radio on the back of my left hip and the mic on my left shoulder. Stays out of the way and doesn't interfere with seatbelts in either seat. I think I have a holster around somewhere if you need one. Send me a pm if you're interested.

I've used the Boston Leather radio strap for years in both the Fire Department and EMS. I don't feel that it gets in the way, in fact, I don't like to carry a radio without it now.

get a sway strap and you will be fine.. It will keep it in place

This is a little off topic but may offer a little insight into why the radio strap is so important for use with FD operations. It is a lengthy report (I don't recommend a full read but it is at least worth a skim...has lots of pictures too!!!) on a study done by the Fairfax Fire Department after they had a number of radios damaged by heat when carried on the front of a firefighter (usually facing the fire). They had a few particularly bad malfunctions...one in which a mic melted when clipped to the loop above the radio pocket and stuck in the open position. This essentially terminated all fireground communications on their fireground frequency.

After the study they concluded that the best way for a firefighter to carry a radio is on a radio strap under the firefighter's coat with the radio behind the firefighter and the coat lifted so that the antenna/majority of the radio are exposed. This left the radio protected from heat, out of the way, but did not hinder reception/transmission due to covering the antennae. (See pictures on the report as I know this may be confusing when transferred into text).

See the link below to view the full document. (from vententersearch.com)

http://www.vententersearch.com/supplemental/fairfaxradioreport.pdf

x635 likes this

I read that study and it is actually an interesting read... wonder if this will change how departments spec out new gear. At my job everyone is issued a radio and a radio strap but our gear does have a "radio pocket". I have found that it holds a good pair of channel lock pliers in easy reach.

I think the reason it doesn't transfer readily to EMS is safety. You were probably discouraged in your EMT class not to wear your steph around your neck. Yeah, I know most people do, myself included but I don't walk into a scene like that. I'll carry it or have it in my pocket until I know whats going on at the scene. Same thing with ID badges in most commercial sevices. They issue clipon type holders or if they do have around the neck holders they are of a break away type. If you ask most PD officers who might be required to wear ties they also are of a break away type. Dealing with EDP's, drug addicts, or just anxious people or trauma patients who , due to shock, are confused and somtimes are combative who might grab onto you. Also getting yourself caught on a side mirror while operating at an MVA. Current standards make wearing a reflective vest with break away funtionality. If I understand correctly the strap that we are talking about has no such feture. Also, firefighters wear thier radios under their turnout gear, I don't see you doing this (wearing it under your coat, & what about summer) I've always worn a batbelt. When you are in quarters you can lose the weight and take it off. Italso allowed me to carry numerous other stuff that I needed to keep on my person or things that I wanted right at hand.

Edited by Ga-Lin