Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

NYC Mayor De Blasio Wants To Restore Funding For 20 FDNY Companies

8 posts in this topic

Would they have to purchase new apparatus and hire new firefighters to restore these companies?

Mayor de Blasio said he would put an end to the yearly budget dance and restore $59 million in funding for the 20 FDNY companies eight in Brooklyn -- that were previously cut from the FY 2015 budget by Mayor Bloomberg.

One of the FDNY companies Mayor de Blasio restored is Engine Company 205, at 74 Middagh Street in Brooklyn Heights. With Ladder Company 118, the company lost eight firefighters during the September 11 terrorist attacks.

Brooklyn fire companies funded in the Mayors preliminary budget include Engine Company 205 at 74 Middagh St.; Engine Company 206 at 1201 Grand St.; Engine Company at 218 650 Hart St., Engine Company 220 at 530 11th St.; Engine Company 233 at 25 Rockaway Ave.; Engine Company 284 at 1157 79th St.; Ladder Company 104 at 161 South 2nd St.; and Ladder Company 161 at 2929 W 8th St.

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/news

I don't think these companies were actually closed. It said funding would be cut from the FY 2015 budget.

the companies were never closed (although Bloomberg DID close six companies during his reign). Every year he put the proposed closure of those 20 companies in his budget, and the city council ultimately funded them out of their budget lines. It was part of the annual Bloomberg charade. He also removed the fifth firefighter from the last 60 engine companies during his last term. All in all, he was not a friend of the FDNY. One positive thing I can say for him, he always showed support to the families of fallen firefighters and police officers; showing up at the hospitals, and attending the funerals.

Has the current NYC administration restored or plan to restore the 5th firefighter position?

What 9/11 related funeral did he attend? I was at a lot of them, and he didn't show up to any I attended which spanned from NJ to Suffolk. On the other hand Cassano or Kilduff were almost always in attendance.

I don't think these companies were actually closed. It said funding would be cut from the FY 2015 budget.

The companies were never closed, you're correct. The 4 previous city budgets cut funding to the FDNY for 20 companies. The city council used thier discretionary funding each year to keep them open.

It's good to have the money back in the budget. Now let's see if he adequately pays the people who ride in those, and all the other companies......that's the real test.

Has the current NYC administration restored or plan to restore the 5th firefighter position?

No the 5th man hasn't been restored. During the major snowstorms we rode with the 5th man (the door position.) No real word on weather it's coming back or not