Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RES24CUE

Firefighter Harlem Shake Videos

13 posts in this topic

It seems to me that Emergency Services organizations have recently been forced to adapt to the fact that everyone in this day and age has an HD video camera at their fingertips 24 hours per day. As a result, organizations are highly scrutinized and are "under the microscope," in that any action made by the department or its members may be recorded, posted, and made available to billions of people in a matter of seconds. In an effort to combat this issue, many agencies have developed social media policies that bar members from posting photos or videos of incident scenes and patients Many have gone so far as to bar members from posting any pictures or videos of any aspect of department affairs without expressed consent (usually a department vote) of the membership.

That being said, I just stumbled across this video compilation of the Harlem Shake which consists of over 20 departments for more that 14 minutes performing Harlem Shake videos using department apparatus, equipment, and facilities. In many of them it is not very difficult using a google search to figure out exactly which departments are participating in these videos (department initials and unit numbers will do).

How would these videos be viewed in regard to your department policies?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpns68R5BXs#t=652

It seems to be somewhat counterintuitive for members to publicly expose their organizations on the internet while behaving in a ridiculous fashion when this is just the type of exposure that so many agencies are working so hard to prevent. It is also a clear mis-use of taxpayer equipment; another political hot button in many jurisdictions where money is tight and politicians are barely holding on to their political seats.

Thoughts?

How about you stop taking yourself so seriously. Everyone needs to blow off some steam every now and then, and honestly this seems like a fairly harmless way to do it, better than everyone tying a load on at the bar after each shift or call at least. I highly doubt there was any compromise in emergency services coverage nor any waste of money incurred by the making of these videos. For the most part no one really cares about what we as emergency services do in our down time as long as long as we are there when we need them or it doesn't affect their wallet. It was an internet fad, it has pretty much come and gone, and if you look further there were far more disturbing videos of this type posted, some even staged by politicians themselves. Flash in the pan, done and gone.

Morningjoe likes this

#1. Thank God this fad is over. It was fun and entertaining for like 30 seconds.

#2. I don't see anything wrong with having any fun doing something like this. It builds camradarie.

#3. The only thing I saw that I don't like was the video of the black over red Truck where what appears to be two teenage girls on top of it dancing. Who is to blame if they fall off and get hurt?

Have fun, do it tastefully and be safe.

CFI609D likes this

Edited by RumorMill

How about you stop taking yourself so seriously. Everyone needs to blow off some steam every now and then, and honestly this seems like a fairly harmless way to do it, better than everyone tying a load on at the bar after each shift or call at least. I highly doubt there was any compromise in emergency services coverage nor any waste of money incurred by the making of these videos. For the most part no one really cares about what we as emergency services do in our down time as long as long as we are there when we need them or it doesn't affect their wallet. It was an internet fad, it has pretty much come and gone, and if you look further there were far more disturbing videos of this type posted, some even staged by politicians themselves. Flash in the pan, done and gone.

1. There's nothing wrong with the guy using a parking cone as a simulated p**** and bending over one of his fellow firefighters? (clear violation of sexual harassment sensitivity policy)

2. There's nothing wrong with the firefighter spinning the backboard around like a helicopter in close proximity to his fellow firefighters? (obvious risk of injury).

3. There's nothing wrong with the firefighters haphazardly using taxpayer funded equipment to make an internet video that has no benefit to the taxpayer or the organization? If they tear a dive suit while rolling around on the engine room floor or scratch the truck dancing around with a pickaxe are they going to pay for it out of pocket? Or just tell the Chief that they don't know what happened?

Glad to hear that you guys have no rules or policies in Kiribati (or is this just your opinion and your superiors would offer a much different perspective when asked...especially on camera when interviewed by the media after an internet video scandal?)...I'll be sure to look for your department's name on the cover of the newspaper when I'm reading it in my office and taking myself seriously...

1. There's nothing wrong with the guy using a parking cone as a simulated p**** and bending over one of his fellow firefighters? (clear violation of sexual harassment sensitivity policy)

2. There's nothing wrong with the firefighter spinning the backboard around like a helicopter in close proximity to his fellow firefighters? (obvious risk of injury).

3. There's nothing wrong with the firefighters haphazardly using taxpayer funded equipment to make an internet video that has no benefit to the taxpayer or the organization? If they tear a dive suit while rolling around on the engine room floor or scratch the truck dancing around with a pickaxe are they going to pay for it out of pocket? Or just tell the Chief that they don't know what happened?

Glad to hear that you guys have no rules or policies in Kiribati (or is this just your opinion and your superiors would offer a much different perspective when asked...especially on camera when interviewed by the media after an internet video scandal?)...I'll be sure to look for your department's name on the cover of the newspaper when I'm reading it in my office and taking myself seriously...

Here is one from the U.S. Army

What is wrong with a little fun.

You must be a ton of fun at parties

You must be a huge liability to your organization...

1. I am pretty sure it was consensual for the purpose of entertainment, so I'm not too worried.

2. Do you live in a bubble? This is a profession steeped in the possibility for injury, do you avoid going down a hallway when its banked down because there's an obvious risk for injury? Do you not swing an axe in zero visibility trying to hit a halligan with obvious risk of injury? RISK, you take risks every time you get out of your bed, stop acting like the idea of risk should be paralyzing.

3. It also has no real detriment to the taxpayer or department, it was something done on a lark for fun, should we ban fun? If something got damaged, time to pay the piper, own up like a man, take your punishment, and move on. If you live your life worrying about the consequence of every little thing you aren't really living. You gotto step up to f@#* up.

We have rules, they aren't against fun. they don't ban being silly or horsing around, also I'll be the guy on camera offering up OUR perspective as a department and telling the media to get a life too and to go find a real story. Have fun sitting in your office reading the paper, don't go outside though, its scary out there, someone might be twirling a backboard around.

Thought this was going to include the group doing the dance on the "blue floor" at Pierce following final inspection of their new rig.