Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
STAT213

Bye Bye Backboards

9 posts in this topic

Finally. After months of teasing us, our new protocol is here. We will no longer be using backboards. Even for patients with spinal injuries. Collar and stretcher only. A fantastic evidence based change for EMS. MY favorite line in the new protocol...backboards have no place in the transport of injured patients. Or something along those lines. If we use a board for removal or extrication, the patient is to be removed from it once they are on our cot. FANTASTIC, isn't it!?

Here's the (somewhat cheesy) rollout video from our bureau of EMS.

eddie295 and KFIYL2000 like this

Lucky SOB. We just got permission back to "clear" the spine using our advanced spinal assessment over here across the CT river.

We just had a spinal protocol change that kicked in this month. We can decide on "spinal precautions" (c-collar only and sit the patient comfortably) only when we arrive on scene to find the patient has already compromised c-spine by walking, bending over, and other movement. Major MOI and non-compromised c-spine has us still using back boards.

Though I've been hearing the last couple years that the use of backboards has come under debate.

SageVigiles likes this

Were only using them for extrication/movement, paralysis, unconscious, and a few other things. Everyone else collar and stretcher.

We just had a spinal protocol change that kicked in this month. We can decide on "spinal precautions" (c-collar only and sit the patient comfortably) only when we arrive on scene to find the patient has already compromised c-spine by walking, bending over, and other movement. Major MOI and non-compromised c-spine has us still using back boards.

Though I've been hearing the last couple years that the use of backboards has come under debate.

We've had the same protocols out for about a year now in the New Haven Sponsor Hospital area. I'm not EMS so I don't know how it has/hasn't been working, I just saw it posted at the station.

Edited by SageVigiles

We us to do this (collar only, on ambulance cot no board) when I worked the streets down in NYC back in the day, as they say, a long time ago. Just funny how the more things change the more they stay the same.