Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

My Neighbors Recycled A House And The Katonah Fire Department Benefitted! -Martha Stewart

12 posts in this topic

You'd think that these guys would be exhausted from all the "hands on" (all the multiple alarm fires in NW) training in the past several weeks.

I liked the comments. Very descriptive for the layperson.

The remaining building was donated to the Katonah Fire Department who, along with neighboring fire departments, have been using it for valuable search and rescue training, live burn training, culminating in burning it to the ground this coming weekend. The firefighters are so grateful to have this rare opportunity to practice and gain experience in a realistic setting.

Full article and photos: http://www.themarthablog.com/2014/03/my-neighbors-recycled-a-house-and-the-katonah-fire-department-benefitted.html

EmsFirePolice likes this

Look at picture 28 "Old wooden pallets are used along with the ACCELERANT to set fires". Please, somebody tell me this is not true.

Who wrote the captions at the bottom of each picture? Sentences like Training centers have controlled fires, "this building is full of surprises",(pic 14) and as mentioned above, "accelerant" (12)(28) they must mean hay.

Live fire training is a great drill, when NFPA 1403 2012 edition is followed.

I hope nobody gets hurt and those words have to be explained.

Bnechis likes this

Who wrote the captions at the bottom of each picture? Sentences like Training centers have controlled fires, "this building is full of surprises",(pic 14) and as mentioned above, "accelerant" (12)(28) they must mean hay.

Live fire training is a great drill, when NFPA 1403 2012 edition is followed.

I hope nobody gets hurt and those words have to be explained.

Does NFPA 1403 allow for the windows to be boarded up?

Yes these type of drills can be very valuable if run correctly, but one also must consider what happened in Lairdsville NY during a live burn in an acquired structure and the consequences (1 FF LODD, 1 FC sent to prison)

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/fire/reports/face200138.html

Alan G. Baird III was found guilty of criminally negligent homicide in May by an Oneida County Court jury for his role in the death of Lairdsville Fire Department trainee Bradley

Golden. Baird, 30, faces a maximum prison term of up to four years when he is sentenced on the felony conviction July 8 by Judge Michael L. Dwyer..........

Baird, a Lairdsville assistant fire chief at the time of the exercise, admitted he planned the “live burn” training exercise at a vacant farmhouse on Route 5 in Westmoreland and ignited a first floor sofa bed that burned out of control. The fast-spreading blaze caused the death of Golden, 19, and severely burned Lairdsville fire fighters Benjamin Morris and Adam Croman.

The windows were boarded up during search and rescue exercises to keep the smoke in, just like at the smoke house at the training center. The boards were removed for live burn and other exercises.

No accelerant was used, only hay for kindling.

There were several back up lines, as well as FAST teams on standby at all times. There were safety officers accounting for everyone. The condition of the structure was dynamically monitored.

The drill went successfully. They tend to have 1-2 donated homes a year in northern Westchester for the past several years, and are always very safety conscious and following guidelines, including have certified instructors on site.

Given recent events we all know how well FAS teams work up in Northern Westchester...

Typical crap jumping to conclusions instead of asking for verification.

mreis95 likes this

I did not jump to any conclusions, I asked a question as to who wrote the captions that used the words. Those words could have come back to bite the dept on the ass IF someone got hurt. NFPA 1403 2012 edition is more strict than the previous versions because of acquired structure live burns. Glad everything went well, but nobody's live burn exercise ever started out with the statement "we will kill or injure a firefighter today".

For everybody reading this, Chiefs, commissioners, company officers, you HAVE to read the new standard to understand YOUR personal and dept. liability. The game has changed even for training facilities.

Bnechis, x635, Morningjoe and 2 others like this

Given recent events we all know how well FAS teams work up in Northern Westchester...

Ha

Edited by newsbuff

I did not jump to any conclusions, I asked a question as to who wrote the captions that used the words. Those words could have come back to bite the dept on the ass IF someone got hurt. NFPA 1403 2012 edition is more strict than the previous versions because of acquired structure live burns. Glad everything went well, but nobody's live burn exercise ever started out with the statement "we will kill or injure a firefighter today".

For everybody reading this, Chiefs, commissioners, company officers, you HAVE to read the new standard to understand YOUR personal and dept. liability. The game has changed even for training facilities.

Martha Stewart wrote the captions under those photos, they were on her blog. I don't think she has much firefighting experience.

E106MKFD likes this

Martha Stewart wrote the captions under those photos, they were on her blog. I don't think she has much firefighting experience.

Ok that almost clears that up somebody from the fire dept gave her info, that she would not know about. Just something to think about in he future.

And just for the record, so long as my name is not attached to any acquired structure live fire, you guys can do whatever you want. Have fun training and stay safe.