Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Fairview Fire District Appoints New Chief

32 posts in this topic

From the Paul Feiner Greenburgh Email list.

From Paul Feiner

to gblist

The Fairview Board of Fire Commissioners accelerated the appointment of a new Fire Chief. The Fire Commissioners had an unannounced meeting last night and decided to appoint Howard Reiss as the new Chief. Howard Reiss is a respected & well liked professional firefighter.

The Fire district also promoted the son of the Chair of the Fairview Fire Board of Commissioners --Eryke Simmons as Deputy Chief of the Fairview Fire department. I believe that Commissioner Vikki Simmons should not have participated in the interview process that led to the promotion of her son. It's not fair to other candidates who hoped to be promoted to Deputy Chief when the mother of a candidate is the Chair of the Board and has the ability to determine who gets promoted. Eryke Simmons may be very qualified for the position. I do not question his professionalism --- I have concerns about the appointment process. Also... John Baker was appointed Captain.

During the past few weeks I have had discussions with some residents and public officials about consolidating the Hartsdale & Fairview Fire departments. Under New York State law if 10% of the voters sign petitions calling for consolidation, a referendum must be held. The three paid Fire Chiefs, who each earn more than the Governor of the state of New York, are costing taxpayers more than $600,000 a year (over $200,000 each). The three chiefs also earn more than the Greenburgh Police Chief who serves the entire town. Large portions f unincorporated Greenburgh are served by the Ardsley, Hastings, Elmsford, Irvington and Tarrytown Fire departments. We don't need three Chiefs. Fire district taxes are almost as high as town taxes --and we provide many more services.

I continue to believe that the Hartsdale & Fire Departments should merge and will be presenting a proposal to the public in the near future. It's possible that the talk of consolidation led to the accelerated time table resulting in the promotions last night.

PAUL FEINER

Greenburgh Town Supervisor

Greenburgh Update

9 hours ago

FAIRVIEW FIRE CHIEF TAKES EARLY RETIREMENT FOR HEALTH REASONS AS NEW FIRE CHIEF IS APPOINTED

Fairview Fire Chief Anthony LoGiudice, who just a few weeks ago said he would retire by the end of the year, last night said he would retire now -- and was replaced as chief by longtime Fairview Deputy Chief Howard Reiss.

Chief LoGiudice, 58, decided to take early retirement because, like many firefighters from Westchester, he suffers from cancer caused by exposure to the toxins at Ground Zero following 9-11. His decision to retire now, rather than at the end of the year as he had previously announced, was apparently prompted by side effects from a required change in medication.

Town Supervisor Paul Feiner meanwhile issued a press release tonight taking credit for Chief LoGiudice's decision to retire now, rather than at the end of the year, claiming it was due instead to Mr. Feiner's having once again proposed that the Fairview and Hartsdale fire districts be consolidated.

Mr. Feiner is not a resident of either the Fairview or Hartsdale fire districts and seems not to care that financial analysis shows that if Fairview were to consolidate with Hartsdale, Fairview's fire taxes would increase by at least five percent.

Instead, Mr. Feiner argues that fire chiefs in Fairview and Hartsdale (and for that matter in Edgemont's Greenville) are paid too much and that there should instead be only one paid fire chief to serve all three fire districts.

However, eliminating the $200,000 salary of the Fairview fire chief would not result in any appreciable savings and may even result in substantially higher costs for a combined Fairview-Hartsdale fire district.

A savings of $200,000 in salary in a combined Fairview-Hartsdale budget of $23,116,357 is a savings of less than 1%. But the combined district would still need senior personnel to assume command and control 24/7 at four different fire houses and that would require hiring and paying for more senior officers.

Fire chiefs in Westchester are singlehandedly responsible for taking active command at major fires, assigning firefighters to stations and shifts, recommending the purchase of equipment and supplies, planning and directing training, supervising the investigation and causes of fires, directing and inspecting the maintenance of all firefighting equipment, preparing and presenting the annual department budget, and coordinating with other municipal departments and agencies. Each fire chief in Fairview and Hartsdale is assisted by one secretary.

Under a combined fire district, though, these functions would double and would almost certainly require the hiring of additional administrative personnel.

Finally, Mr. Feiners own fire district consolidation study of a few years ago showed that consolidation results in a reduction in the number of firefighter volunteers which, in turn, tends to increase the need for more salaried manpower to ensure enough personnel are on hand to man fire apparatus when needed in an emergency.

Mr. Feiner, who does not live in either the Fairview or Hartsdale Fire districts and has no firefighting background, has not explained why he thinks these additional costs would not be incurred or why he thinks the elimination of a one of the two fire chiefs would result in any net savings that would reduce, rather than increase Fairviews fire taxes.

Instead, he and his allies have been waging a political campaign designed to undermine public confidence in the Fairview Fire District and distract attention from Mr. Feiners own problems, including the $550,000 per year in damages Greenburgh taxpayers must pay for each of the next ten years because Mr. Feiner violated the constitutional rights of a church, which will force the Town to either exceed the state tax cap or cut services. Mr . Feiner has also lost the WestHELP property, which was once the largest single non-tax source of revenue to the Town, and he has failed to sell the former Franks Nurserty property, more than three years after the Town acquired it in a tax foreclosure sale.

As part of his political campaign against Fairview, Mr. Feiner has publicly accused Chief LoGiudice of making anti-Semitic remarks about him, which testimony showed was not true, and he has been assisting the politically well connected would be Fairview firefighter, David Hecht, the 45-year old Village of Elmsford resident who claims he was denied an entry level firefighter position in Fairview because of alleged age discrimination.

Fairview has a residency requirement for entry-level firefighters.

vwwh1 likes this

From the Paul Feiner Greenburgh Email list.

It's possible that the talk of consolidation led to the accelerated time table resulting in the promotions last night.

Its also possible that Feiner's claim that Chief LaGudice made an Anti-Semitic statement about him, which the Journal News (which openly supports Feiner) later reported did not happen and that Feiner made up that he read it in a court transcript caused the chief to resign, which forced the board to accelerate the time table resulting in the promotions.

Regardless of any agendas, which there are, there are some operating efficiencies that could be created. There is a lot of duplication between the departments.

Between the departments, there are:

• 2 Board Of Commisioners
  • 2 Chiefs
  • 2 Take Home Chiefs vehicles
  • 2 Desk Watch (Firefighters detailed to dispatch)
  • 2 Shift Commanders (per shift)
  • 2 Radio systems
  • 2 Spare Engines
  • 1 Spare Tower Ladder
  • 1 Spare Rescue
  • 2 Tower Ladders with only 1 man assigned to drive
  • 2 Engine companies with only 2, sometimes 3 men assigned
  • 8+ Utilities

Can't any savings be found from eliminating the duplication? Here are some other bullet points:

• These departments already respond to each other's jobs automatically.
  • The manpower in these two departments are in one union, Greenburgh Uniformed Firefighters Association.
  • Their jurisdictions are also covered by one PD agency, one EMS agency (Greenburgh PD EMS), one Highway Department, one water/sewer department, and one school district.

So, with that, what is the benefit of having two separate departments? Having two separate, yet very much the same, fire districts saves money? With that rationale, should FDNY separate into 5 departments to save money and improve efficiency?

Bottom of Da Hill likes this

So why not compose a district that covers the unincorporated Town just like PD. Take over all three districts and all fire protection districts. A shoot from the hip approach will not work. Too bad the town owes 5.5 million lawsuit against the A church. The money could be well spent on a in depth study. Too many non experts think they know the answer. Why does a single person who has no idea how to run a fire dept thinks he has the answer.

Shamelessly, I'd like to side track the thread a bit by congratulating the new Capt. John Baker. A great teacher and a well deserved promotion. And now back to the political wrangling.......

JM15, x635 and CFI609D like this

dct2

This was looked at many years ago at least 20 if I recall. They found out that the Town PAYS repeat PAYS the villages to protect the unincorporated sections of the town. Each Village gets money but guess what not all of it goes to the fire departments--the villages can keep some of the money for general funds. how much you ask!! good question . Lets just say a lot-a whole lot--lots and lots. If you really need to know ask the Town supervisor I'm sure he knows.

and the glaring question that no one is raising is why just Fairview and Hartsdale?? Maybe Barry can do a regionalization study on that and I am sure he can come up with some interesting facts and figures.

one big fire district including all the unincorporated areas sure it could work but will it be efficient and safe for the residents-- if it included all unincorporated areas taxes would equalize out--some would go up some would go down depending on where you lived.

just my thoughts

x635 and Bnechis like this

Why souldnt the villages get money for their general funds? The villages are paying the fire departments budgets and it costs money to cover the unincorporated areas for Greenburgh. I am just not sure what you were getting at.

Why souldnt the villages get money for their general funds? The villages are paying the fire departments budgets and it costs money to cover the unincorporated areas for Greenburgh. I am just not sure what you were getting at.

What he was getting at is the town pays more $$$ in fire protection money to the villages, than the villages give to the fire departments for providing the service.

and the glaring question that no one is raising is why just Fairview and Hartsdale?? Maybe Barry can do a regionalization study on that and I am sure he can come up with some interesting facts and figures.

Because he knows that Edgemont will not vote for it, he is just hoping that Fairview & Hartsdale will.

Thank you Barry couldn't have said it better my self. I am not arguing that the villages get the money or that the village fire departments get the money. that wasn't the intention. Its the fact that the Town pays a lot of money for fire protection. money that could be used to equal out the Fire tax base in the Town of Greenburgh

Your right about Edgemont also Barry.

RANDY45 likes this

paying the villages for fire protection saves the town of greenburgh tax payers lots and lots of money also,how does that equal out?

paying the villages for fire protection saves the town of greenburgh tax payers lots and lots of money also,how does that equal out?

If the town pays village X $100,000 for fire protection and village X gives $50,000 to the fire department, how does that save the taxpayers lots of money? It saves the village taxpayers money, does not provide the level of protection they are paying for (since they don't give it all to the FD) and cost the town taxpayers who are subsidizing it.

The villages need to be set aside from the consolidation proposals. They should work on Fairview and Hartsdale first. That is where the greatest gain could be achieved right now. Integrating the villages would only bog up the process at this point.

I just can't get past this.....they are in the same union and social circles, and automatically and routinely respond to each others jobs, train together, and can't have enough resources without one another. Fairview and Hartsdale depend on one another for so many things. So why would merging the departments and removing the very expensive redundancies be a bad thing? This is probably one of the easiest two districts in Westchester to merge.

Why don't many public employees realize they are responsible to the taxpayers to deliver the best services as cost-efficiently as possible?

The villages need to be set aside from the consolidation proposals. They should work on Fairview and Hartsdale first. That is where the greatest gain could be achieved right now. Integrating the villages would only bog up the process at this point.

I just can't get past this.....they are in the same union and social circles, and automatically and routinely respond to each others jobs, train together, and can't have enough resources without one another. Fairview and Hartsdale depend on one another for so many things. So why would merging the departments and removing the very expensive redundancies be a bad thing? This is probably one of the easiest two districts in Westchester to merge.

Why don't many public employees realize they are responsible to the taxpayers to deliver the best services as cost-efficiently as possible?

No one here suggested including the villages. They said include all areas that are outside the villages (i.e. unincorporated area). The biggest thing that will prevent consolidation is if the tax rates will raise in one district while dropping in another. The taxpayers who will experience the raise (even if the consolidated dept. will save overall $$$ &/or improved service) will vote no.

What has been pointed out is if those contract areas were included, this might even the tax rate enough to make it happen.

Many public employees are very weary of politicians who have already been proven in court to not tell the truth and who are willing to throw the FD under the bus to hide the fact that they have major problem in their own operations.

moggie6 likes this

Seems like someone has an axe to grind.

Seems like someone has an axe to grind.

post-4072-0-62395500-1399251286.jpg

That's ok because it is part of everyday FD tool maintenance. :D

JM15 and CFI609D like this

Congrats to the new chief of Fairview! I will direct all complaints from up north down to your office line to buy us some time lol.

Good luck with trolling out for the merger of two fire districts. The tax payers in those districts don't have a problem with the services they are receiving and more importantly the services they are paying for. If they did you can bet your butt they would be at commissioners meeting complaining, forming tax payer groups, and practicing their rights of free speech. But I don't hear that...I never see it. I never see an article from the Fairness for Hartsdale Taxpayer Group or the Fairness for Fairview Westchester Taxpayer group. I imagine and speculate it's because the people are happy with the service they get. They pick up the phone for help and someone shows up with in a reasonable time. Has any Hartsdale or Fairview Fire Equipment gone second dispatch? Do they ever call out crew awaiting a driver? I'm sorry but if there is one thing I learned from being "involved" in a merger study...leave things alone. People are happy about the services they receive. If they were not happy things would change. They will vote new commissioners into office and effect change themselves.

Seems liske someone has an axe to grind.

I have no axe to grind. I am simply pointing out facts and my longtime opinion that greater efficiency could be gained by consolidating these two districts, who already basically act as one and depend on one another anyways.

Congrats to the new chief of Fairview! I will direct all complaints from up north down to your office line to buy us some time lol.

Good luck with trolling out for the merger of two fire districts. The tax payers in those districts don't have a problem with the services they are receiving and more importantly the services they are paying for. If they did you can bet your butt they would be at commissioners meeting complaining, forming tax payer groups, and practicing their rights of free speech. But I don't hear that...I never see it. I never see an article from the Fairness for Hartsdale Taxpayer Group or the Fairness for Fairview Westchester Taxpayer group. I imagine and speculate it's because the people are happy with the service they get. They pick up the phone for help and someone shows up with in a reasonable time. Has any Hartsdale or Fairview Fire Equipment gone second dispatch? Do they ever call out crew awaiting a driver? I'm sorry but if there is one thing I learned from being "involved" in a merger study...leave things alone. People are happy about the services they receive. If they were not happy things would change. They will vote new commissioners into office and effect change themselves.

The reason why taxpayers aren't upset is because the districts are good at hiding a lot of things from the taxpayers, and have no desire to be responsible or truthful to them. I'm pretty sure if the taxpayers knew about the excellent pay, benefits, pensions, and perks along with the redundancies that waste money, they would be upset. The firefighters and line officers deliver exceptional service to the citizens of the community, which helps shadow other things. But the amount that the citizens care about Fire District elections is evident by the turnout at annual District elections, and Board Meeting attendance. The Commissioners are able to get things by the taxpayers without them knowing this way. Meeting agendas and minutes, that often leave out a lot of details aren't published on district websites, nor is videos of the Commissioners meeting on the public access chanel or internet. The yearly budgets posted on the websites are to comply with NYS regulations...and it's only a one page overall view, they also don't publish the detailed budget or how they plan to spend the funds that year. Each district should also publish and mail an annual report to the district taxpayers about the events of the year, a summary on operations and calls, and how they spent the money., and what their future goals are.

And most people don't want to be or have the time to be Commisioner, so Commissioners stay in power for numerous terms. These terms are 5 years, which is way too long for a public official. Many Commissioner's have served for over 20 years and have "relationships" with the community, especially the elderly who often are driven to the polls by the Commissioners in power. Voting is the first Tuesday in December often only from 5PM to 9PM, during a busy holiday time, which I feel suppresses turnout. The voting should be moved to a date that can be more prominent and convienent, and hours extended.

Fairview residents have shown their support by voting down a referendum to renovate both stations twice. Both stations are obsolete and require more space and modern equipment.

It shouldn't be about citizens being complacent. District Commissioners should feel morally responsible to deliver the best service at the lowest cost, and always looking and exploring for new ways to do so.

I have no axe to grind. I am simply pointing out facts and my longtime opinion that greater efficiency could be gained by consolidating these two districts, who already basically act as one and depend on one another anyways.

Based on the fact that you were fired by one of the districts involved It's probably hard for most of us to believe this isn't personal.

Based on the fact that you were fired by one of the districts involved It's probably hard for most of us to believe this isn't personal.

Get your facts straight. I wasn't fired. But believe whatever you want. I now believe you are gullible. I'm actually very surprised by you, you usually make some of the best and informative posts on this forum.

I have every right to have an opinion, and point out facts, without being specifically being "flamed" for it. There was no need for you, dct2 (is it personal for him being that he is a retired Deputy Chief from Fairview?), or Bnechis to jump in with your irrelevant one liners. This is the type of behavior that is driving posting members away from this forum.

Still waiting for someone to prove my facts wrong.

The reason why taxpayers aren't upset is because the districts are good at hiding a lot of things from the taxpayers, and have no desire to be responsible or truthful to them. I'm pretty sure if the taxpayers knew about the excellent pay, benefits, pensions, and perks along with the redundancies that waste money, they would be upset. The firefighters and line officers deliver exceptional service to the citizens of the community, which helps shadow other things. But the amount that the citizens care about Fire District elections is evident by the turnout at annual District elections, and Board Meeting attendance. The Commissioners are able to get things by the taxpayers without them knowing this way. Meeting agendas and minutes, that often leave out a lot of details aren't published on district websites, nor is videos of the Commissioners meeting on the public access chanel or internet. The yearly budgets posted on the websites are to comply with NYS regulations...and it's only a one page overall view, they also don't publish the detailed budget or how they plan to spend the funds that year. Each district should also publish and mail an annual report to the district taxpayers about the events of the year, a summary on operations and calls, and how they spent the money., and what their future goals are.

And most people don't want to be or have the time to be Commisioner, so Commissioners stay in power for numerous terms. These terms are 5 years, which is way too long for a public official. Many Commissioner's have served for over 20 years and have "relationships" with the community, especially the elderly who often are driven to the polls by the Commissioners in power. Voting is the first Tuesday in December often only from 5PM to 9PM, during a busy holiday time, which I feel suppresses turnout. The voting should be moved to a date that can be more prominent and convienent, and hours extended.

Fairview residents have shown their support by voting down a referendum to renovate both stations twice. Both stations are obsolete and require more space and modern equipment.

It shouldn't be about citizens being complacent. District Commissioners should feel morally responsible to deliver the best service at the lowest cost, and always looking and exploring for new ways to do so.

Taxpayers and voters are the ones who place Commissioners into office. Taxpayers and voters are the ones who change fire districts. End of story. I am employed by a fire district who has no problem having voters come out in December to vote. The taxpayers in Dutchess County have answered the vote when they (key word) felt the service could be delivered better, thought things were not being run accordingly, and found candidates that they thought would do a better job at representing them.

As far as the election date, time, polls etc. That is NYS Law pal, go to Albany or call your local representative to have that one changed.

What facts can someone prove wrong? You listed equipment, salaries, and operations in your one response. Those are facts. The ideas of consolidation and how the two organizations could be run more efficiently is nothing more than an opinion. The opinion that commissioners should feel morally responsible to deliver the best service at the lowest cost and exploring new ways to do so is also an opinion. Fact is they do a job and unless the State of NY or the court of law comes in and says "hey guys, not cool. You can't do it this way anymore" then I would only speculate that they must be doing ok. A horrible (this is my opinion not a fact) politician once told a group of angry tax payers "You guys are complaining about the way they do business here. I don't know why? You are the one's who voted them into office. If you don't like it get out, find a candidate, and vote in December. I shouldn't have to tell you how local elections work!"

I know what drives me away from taking part in this forum as a member is threads like this. When I click on Fairview Appoints New Chief and this is what followed. And to make matters worse I go to work tomorrow and I don't have a new chief. You all tricked me into thinking I had a new chief!

If the town pays village X $100,000 for fire protection and village X gives $50,000 to the fire department, how does that save the taxpayers lots of money? It saves the village taxpayers money, does not provide the level of protection they are paying for (since they don't give it all to the FD) and cost the town taxpayers who are subsidizing it.

the village uses the money to pay for the fd budget.

Get your facts straight. I wasn't fired. But believe whatever you want. I now believe you are gullible. I'm actually very surprised by you, you usually make some of the best and informative posts on this forum.

I have every right to have an opinion, and point out facts, without being specifically being "flamed" for it. There was no need for you, dct2 (is it personal for him being that he is a retired Deputy Chief from Fairview?), or Bnechis to jump in with your irrelevant one liners. This is the type of behavior that is driving posting members away from this forum.

Still waiting for someone to prove my facts wrong.

this is what i ben saying all along the wise cracks and one liners when you say what your opinion is here .then the gang jumps all over you.

GAW6 likes this

FEINER BLOCKS RELEASE OF FAIRVIEW FIRE TAX REVENUES

Town Supervisor Paul Feiner is refusing to release to the Fairview Fire District more than $10 million in fire taxes collected from fire district taxpayers because of a dispute over $700,000 in tax certiorari payments which Fairview says are not due to be paid to the Town until the end of the year and which Mr. Feiner is demanding be paid now.

By law, the Town was supposed to release the tax revenues it collected to the fire district on May 1. By not releasing the funds as required by law, Fairview will not be able to meet payroll and other financial obligations, which means fire personnel will not be paid their salary and benefits, thereby putting residents of the fire district who need fire and rescue services at risk.

Legal authorities say that the Town has no legal right to withhold any money it collects for the benefit of sister taxing jurisdictions, no matter what dispute there may be between the town and another taxing jurisdiction.

Alarmed by the threat Mr. Feiner's actions have created to public safety in Fairviee, the fire district is calling on residents and firefighters to call Mr. Feiner and demand he release the funds. They are also encouraging residents to appear at tomorrow's town board work session to demand that the money be released.

Because the release of the money is a non-discretionary act required by state law, Fairview may be required to bring an Article 78 lawsuit against Mr. Mr. Feiner in order to obtain an court order requiring the release of the money. And because it appears that Mr. Feiner's actions have no legal support, the fire district may also be entitled to legal fees.

Mr. Feiner's actions are the latest in a campaign he has been waging personally against the Fairview fire district. This most recent action comes on the heels of a fatal fire earlier today in Poet's Corner in Hartsdale, where Fairview responded, along with Hartsdale, Greenville and Scarsdale.

Bnechis likes this

What amazes me is Feiner keeps getting re-elected. His actions constantly result in litigation against the town.

The whole Feiner thing is irrelevant to the consolidated of Fairview and Hartsdale right now. It's disgusting the way he goes about his business, and I am furious that he went after Chief LoGiudice in the manner that he did. If I was still a taxpaying resident of Hartsdale, I would be at the Town Board meeting, if, at the very least, to try and point out how malicious this was. But, unfortunately, he and the Town Board makes you schedule ahead to speak at Town Board meetings, and only gives you three minutes. But the Chief never should have apologized and stood his ground, since he had nothing to apologize for and the truth would come out to counter Paul Feiner's trademark smearing and suppression of people he doesn't like.

Here's an interesting article on the subject:

http://www.theexaminernews.com/fairview-fire-chief-says-hes-out-by-2015/

However, the two districts should take it upon themselves to realize that they could improve efficiency and lower costs over time, and be responsible and consolidate on their own. But, he's muddied the waters and gone about this in a shady and confrontational way, and now because the opposition of him, the district's won't consolidate due to principle and they don't want to see Paul Feiner "win". There is too many rightfully pissed off people, and too much distrust to ever make it work right now.

What amazes me is Feiner keeps getting re-elected. His actions constantly result in litigation against the town.

The only person who I feel could have beat him in the election eventually was killed on 9/11. RIP Bill Pohlman ( R ). But Feiner's predecessor, Anthony L. Veteran, served several back-to-back terms as Town Supervisor from 1974 to 1991. Paul Feiner has been in power since 1991, way too long for an elected official in my opinion.

Seth,

You continue to post his propaganda when it suits your cause. So it's now interesting you distance yourself for him. How many times did you post promoting consolidation when you were a paid employee of Hartsdale?

As much as you want to to say this makes no sense. Bnechis (who you took an unwarranted shot at when you were mad at my post) spell out the fact of the matter plain. One of the districts taxes will go up. How does a sworn Commissioner vote to do it and why would a taxpayer of the district vote to have their taxes raised? While I can see the big picture there's hardly any guarantee of long term results. The thought that you could just combine all the districts and be able to surplus a bunch of chiefs is a little off base. One would think that the enlarged district should have chief officers assigned to training and fire prevention.

Bnechis likes this