Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ladder44

Does your Company use accountability tags?

11 posts in this topic

Does your company use accountability tags?

Every dept by me uses some form of an accountability tag. My dept used to use tages with numbers on them. We used 3 colors each symbloizing something different. White was on scene, yellow was exterior scba and red was interior. We just recently went to a form of picture id accountability tag and use 2. white is on scene and red is interior scba. I think all the local depts might be working on one universal setup so when mutual aid is done we will know what each tag is for

Two tags... Red and Green each with your personal info on them. Red tag comes off and is clipped onto a ring on the rig you rode up on so that the safety officer can eventually collect them... Green tag comes off and is given to another designated officer when entering a structure fire, HAZMAT hot zone, large brush fire, USAR or any other area where you might become disoriented and lost.

All class "A" FF's (a ff with no restrictions on what they can do) has an additional orange tag that stays attached to the green tag so that a safety officer / IC can identify that they are a FF that can "do everything" on the fire ground. Anyone without an orange tag is considered support personnel who cannot enter a structure fire or operate on the roof/ladder of a structure fire. The additional orange identifier is a good way to let officers keep tabs on people from a distance to ensure everyone's overall safety.

My dept use two tag Red and blue tag. Red you are active and blue you are proby in training for there active test.If you are active you get two red tag with member ship number on it if you are proby you get two blue one number # 1 or 2 or 3 and so on that tell how many proby active member we have in are dept

In Croton as well, each member is issued 2 tags. Interior firefighters have yellow tags, and exterior have red tags. The tags are laminated, and when you cut them open, they contain info that could be used god forbid you get hurt. Ie: Blood type, Medications, emergency contacts, etc.

We have the tags but do we use them? Unfortunately we have been to relaxed in the accountability part of the fire service. Hopefully in the near future it will again become 2nd nature at all incidents.

Even though I wrote this piece, My Co. Uses a different systems. All exterior FF have yellow helmets and all interior FF have Black helmets. We should still use countability tags.

Even though I wrote this piece, My Co. Uses a different systems. All exterior FF have yellow helmets and all interior FF have Black helmets. We should still use countability tags.

Colored helmets are good for quick identification to tell if a firefighter is where he shouldn't be. This is not accountability.

It will not tell you who is missing as a tag would, if there was one extra. It won't tell you where that person belonging to the tag is. That (done properly) is accountability.

In Buchanan, its a 2-tag system.

Red Tag - Interior qualified/Active FF

Blue Tag - Exterior/Probie

Each FF is issued 2 tags, one to stay on their gear, the other to be handed to the safety officer. Each tag has the FF's name & badge number on it.

we have them, due we use them is a different story, Hopefully we will start useing them on a regular basis.

Ya. We use them, and remind each other to put the tags up at scene.