Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
onetrucktotheboxK

West Harrison Fire Training Center

10 posts in this topic

What is what is the status of West Harrison Fire Training Center? I hear that there was some damage to the building. Did West Harrison add anything to there Fire Training Center?

Why doesn't West Harrison try to working with DES to use it as a satellite site?

I had heard that other departments they were letting use the facility weren't leaving it as they found it, things like causing damage by improperly using the structure and not reporting it.

Hey guys, I'm a member of the department. Yes there has been damage to the building, which is being addressed within the next few months. This damage to the building accrued when we let other departments train in the facility. None of the damage was reported to us. The damage was discovered later on, and with many departments training there it’s hard to place the blame. From here forward we no longer will let other department drill there, unless we have a crew of our own there supervising. We are one of the few to be lucky enough to have such a nice facility it’s sad that others did not respect it.

I'm from the north country... What does your facility have?

Thanks Johnny

Does West Harrison have a live burn policy like Westchester DES does?

Changes with in NFPA 1403 requiring lead instructor having Fire Instructor 1. Does your required Fire Instructor 1 or Live Fire Training & Conducting Live Fire Training Evolutions to become an officer to meet NFPA 1403.

I read somewhere that a training building does help a fire Department ISO rating. Does ISO look for certain fire training props.

thanks

I read somewhere that a training building does help a fire Department ISO rating. Does ISO look for certain fire training props.

1. Facilities and Aids (FA)

Drill Tower . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8

Fire Building (including smoke room) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8

Combustible Liquid Pit . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5

Library and Training Manuals . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2

Slide and Movie Projectors and pump and hydrant cutaways . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . .2

Training area (this may include streets or open areas when no other training facilities are provided) . . . . . . .10

Those points are used in a mathematical calculations, so if you do not use the facility, it generates no points

2. Use (FU)

Multiply the points credit for facilities and aids by the following factors for use of the facilities and aids by all company members:

Maximum

a. Half-day (3 hours) drills, 8 per year (0.05 each) ......0.40

b. Half-day (3 hours), multiple-company drills, 4 per year..... 0.40

c. Night drills (3 hours), 2 per year (0.10 each).... 0.20

Note: A single company drill may receive credit under a and c; a multiple

company drill may receive credit under a, b, and c.

Ti1 = (FA) (FU)

Note: the Combustible Liquid Pit may be substituted with propane based props or other flammable liquid training materials and the Slide and Movie Projectors can be replaced with computer based training systems (powerpoint & DVD's)

spin_the_wheel likes this

My previous post was based in the previous ISO rating schedule that was in effect in NYS from 1980 to June 2014. The new schedule has changed to the following:

A. Training Facilities and Use (T1):

Training conducted at a live fire training facility.

Up to......................................................................................................................35 points

1. Facilities (FA): Maximum Points

Live fire training structure including smoke room 17

Drill tower at least 3 stories in height 10

Training area at least 2.0 acres in size 8

Maximum (FA) = 35

2. Use of Facilities (U):

For full credit under this item, each member of the department should attend 18 hours of training at the facilities credited in Section 580A1.

Multiply the points credit for facilities (FA) by the factor (U) for use of the facilities by all company members:

Maximum 18 hours per member; (U) = number of hours per member ÷ 18

Maximum for factor (U) =1.00

T1 5 (FA)(U)

Training at the facilities credited in this section must be in accordance with the general criteria of NFPA 1403, Standard on Live Fire Training Evolutions and NFPA1410, Standard on Training for Initial Emergency Scene Operations.

Note 1: Their are a number of additional training requirements beyond the facility use ones.

Note 2: Above where it says "All company members" This section hurts volunteer fire departments that do not clearly separate "active" members from "social" (or formally active) members. I.E. Your department has 100 "members", 20 are active and complete 100 of in-service training per year ISO will calculate this as 2,000 total hours (20 x 100) but they will average it out to the 100 members and will only credit you with an average of 20 hours per member (not the 100 hours). It is critical that departments identify the number of "Active" members. This also may mean that Fire Police and scene support members are being counted and that may hurt your rating if they do not maintain the same amount of hours as your interior members. ISO will let you slide on this if you clearly categorize who your "Firefighters" are.

spin_the_wheel likes this

Hey guys, I'm a member of the department. Yes there has been damage to the building, which is being addressed within the next few months. This damage to the building accrued when we let other departments train in the facility. None of the damage was reported to us. The damage was discovered later on, and with many departments training there it’s hard to place the blame. From here forward we no longer will let other department drill there, unless we have a crew of our own there supervising. We are one of the few to be lucky enough to have such a nice facility it’s sad that others did not respect it.

I am pretty sure this is one reason why the county would want no part of, well this and about 50 other reasons also. Who takes on the liability of outside depts. using your training facility, and a live fire building no less.

As always Bnechis with the factual, important information. I had no idea that a training facility can improve an ISO rating...

Bnechis likes this