Piranha174

METU Units

47 posts in this topic

If the sole purpose of this unit is to evacuate nursing homes, then why wasn't it paid for by the nursing homes? Most of these are private facilities being operated for a profit. At what point does somethig become the government responsability?

Here in Stamford we have 2 matching command post units, 1 bought for the police and 1 for the fire department, under the same grant program. Now since most of these grants seem to require NIMS compliance (or at least the illusion of compliance) why would we need two units for a single unified command structure? I actually heard someone say we would have got a third one for EMS but our EMS service is not city run.

velcroMedic1987 likes this

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there something mentioned a while ago about the Yonkers METU being part of the NY/NJ EMS Task Force or something like that? I think there was even a drill involving METU units from NJ, Yonkers and NYC. In NJ, it appears that each County has a METU/MERV/MAB/MCI type vehicle as part of this "EMS Task Force". I think all these vehicles were funded via federal grant money.

In my opinion, if you have this type of vehicle (METU) available at your disposal, why not utilize it for different types of incidents i.e. MCIs. I am sure that Yonkers would be more than happy to send their METU wherever it is needed, but there should be a County METU that responds to the same types of incidents as the Yonkers METU. What if there is an major incident that requires more than 1 METU? The recent train accident could have been much worse with so many more casualties. In that case, more than 1 METU would be needed.

I understand that the main purpose of the DES METU is to evacuate SNFs, but the evacuation of SNFs is not something that needs to be done on a regular basis. With that being said, instead of having the METU sitting around collecting dust, they should use it for MCIs, large scale rehab at a fire scene & so on. It would be a good use of the federal tax dollars.

Bnechis, dwcfireman, AFS1970 and 1 other like this

In my opinion, if you have this type of vehicle (METU) available at your disposal, why not utilize it for different types of incidents i.e. MCIs. I am sure that Yonkers would be more than happy to send their METU wherever it is needed, but there should be a County METU that responds to the same types of incidents as the Yonkers METU. What if there is an major incident that requires more than 1 METU? The recent train accident could have been much worse with so many more casualties. In that case, more than 1 METU would be needed.

I understand that the main purpose of the DES METU is to evacuate SNFs, but the evacuation of SNFs is not something that needs to be done on a regular basis. With that being said, instead of having the METU sitting around collecting dust, they should use it for MCIs, large scale rehab at a fire scene & so on. It would be a good use of the federal tax dollars.

You would think that the equipment manufactures would step up to the plate seeing a potential increase in sales. They could engineer a standard multiuse urban response vehicle. That will with a little modification prior to responding, be used as a command post, rehab site, portable victim/patient shelter, SNF transport or a MCI response vehicle (mobile ER, transport ect). This would simply the grant process and actually give the taxpayers a vehicle that would support not only the members of the emergency services but the taxpayers themselves in a time of emergency.

trauma74 and boca1day like this

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there something mentioned a while ago about the Yonkers METU being part of the NY/NJ EMS Task Force or something like that? I think there was even a drill involving METU units from NJ, Yonkers and NYC. In NJ, it appears that each County has a METU/MERV/MAB/MCI type vehicle as part of this "EMS Task Force". I think all these vehicles were funded via federal grant money.

The Westchester DES METU was involved in that and yes there are about 18 of them in NY/NJ. I don't know if they call it an EMS task force but they did do a drill a while back at Orchard Beach I think.

trauma74 likes this

I tried looking through all the METU related forums and what not, but I can't find what I'm looking for....

How much did the WCDES METU cost? Or what would a similar unit cost? I'm just curious as to how much a rig like this goes for.

Interesting topic as an 'outsider" to the local politics and policies. It appears there are many rules/policies that dictate the use of equipment and personnel during MCI's and "disasters", I'm surprised someone doesn't have the ability to suspend some rules in these cases? At some point we are withholding resources just in case they're needed for their primary mission. No doubt there's more political issues where there are more people and money, but up in my neck of the woods, we can suspend most EMS rules (with sound reasoning and judgement) in the cases of an MCI where the suspension of said rule(s) will benefit the mission.

Bnechis, dwcfireman and boca1day like this

I tried looking through all the METU related forums and what not, but I can't find what I'm looking for....

How much did the WCDES METU cost? Or what would a similar unit cost? I'm just curious as to how much a rig like this goes for.

I believe that I heard it was in the neighborhood of 400K but don't hold me to that. It is NOT first-hand info.

dwcfireman likes this

Number of Posts on this thread discussing the merits or uses of the WCDES METU,

discussing the cost and feasibility, critiquing the SOP's or lack there of: 38

Number of approximate times the phrase or variation of phrase "evacuate Nursing Homes"

was used in this thread to establish a purpose or definition for the WCDES METU: 11

Number of alarms at Mt Vernon Nursing Home Fire on March 2nd: 2

Number of people "evacuated" or "relocated" from the "Nursing Home Fire": 19

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/2015/03/03/nineteen-patients-relocated-mount-vernon-nursing-home-fire/24300525/

http://westchester.news12.com/news/flames-tear-through-mount-vernon-nursing-home-1.10001495

The number of comments, critiques, discussion, rants, suggestions, follow up,etc on this thread or forum or whole website,

regarding the deployment or lack of deployment of the WCDES METU to "evacuate a nursing home" during a fire on March 2nd, 2015:

PRICELESS

trauma74 likes this

Number of Posts on this thread discussing the merits or uses of the WCDES METU,

discussing the cost and feasibility, critiquing the SOP's or lack there of: 38

Number of approximate times the phrase or variation of phrase "evacuate Nursing Homes"

was used in this thread to establish a purpose or definition for the WCDES METU: 11

Number of alarms at Mt Vernon Nursing Home Fire on March 2nd: 2

Number of people "evacuated" or "relocated" from the "Nursing Home Fire": 19

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/2015/03/03/nineteen-patients-relocated-mount-vernon-nursing-home-fire/24300525/

http://westchester.news12.com/news/flames-tear-through-mount-vernon-nursing-home-1.10001495

The number of comments, critiques, discussion, rants, suggestions, follow up,etc on this thread or forum or whole website,

regarding the deployment or lack of deployment of the WCDES METU to "evacuate a nursing home" during a fire on March 2nd, 2015:

PRICELESS

Did Mt Vernon call and ask for it? Did the county refuse to send it?

And just to be fair, the second alarm in the vern sends less than half a first alarm response from some other places so the comment about alarms really isn't a good one.

Number of times someone tries to make a point but completely misses the mark because nobody knew what he was talking about. Hmm...

I have a couple of questions for the ems folks on here, does Empress control or did they have something to do with getting the grant for the Yonkers METU? Who staffs the yonkers metu for a deployment? And do you need to have some kind of ems accreditation to respond to incidents?

I have a couple of questions for the ems folks on here, does Empress control or did they have something to do with getting the grant for the Yonkers METU? Who staffs the yonkers metu for a deployment? And do you need to have some kind of ems accreditation to respond to incidents?

I asked some of the same question and was told that Yonkers PD ESU responds with the METU and they're EMT's. Empress would already be at a job in the city so they would have additional EMS personnel on scene that could also be used.

I don't think anyone said that the METU could not also be used for evacuating nursing homes, the key to this thread is the lack of response to MCI's. I suppose if you had a multiple alarm fire at a nursing home at the same time as a train vs car collision with fire, then a decision would have to be made about which to do, but then again if you have two fires in teh same district that choice has to be made for every rig.

I don't think anyone said that the METU could not also be used for evacuating nursing homes, the key to this thread is the lack of response to MCI's. I suppose if you had a multiple alarm fire at a nursing home at the same time as a train vs car collision with fire, then a decision would have to be made about which to do, but then again if you have two fires in teh same district that choice has to be made for every rig.

what I am asking is do you need to be a ems agency to respond to ems calls? And if you do respond who rides the apparatus? Who is the emt / paramedic? If it is sent to a nursing home to evacuate, is the medical staff still the responsible ems provider? We have firefighters in the nrfd who are

also paramedics, but are not allowed to act as such while on duty as a firefighter.

The Westchester METU's sole purpose is nursing home evacuations. That's one of the criticisms.

Chief Benz, did the Yonkers METU come to your nursing home fire?

The Westchester METU's sole purpose is nursing home evacuations. That's one of the criticisms.

Chief Benz, did the Yonkers METU come to your nursing home fire?

no, did not get requested because there were no evacuations. It was explained to me that we have several nursing homes in the flood zone and if they needed evacuation, The METU could be called in place of multiple ambulances. the nursing home staff is to act as the medical personal, des would send a driver.

Dinosaur likes this