Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Sound Shore/Montefiore New Rochelle Hospital No Longer A Trauma Center

7 posts in this topic

To all EMS agencies, REMAC and REMSCO Members. Sent on behalf of the Director of the NYSDOH Bureau of Emergency Medical and Trauma Services.

NYS DOH Trauma Center De-Designation: Montefiore - New Rochelle Hospital - **EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY**

Per the attached letter, the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) Bureau of Emergency Medical and Trauma Services has officially notified Montefiore – New Rochelle Hospital (formerly Sound Shore Medical Center) that their status as a NYSDOH Area Trauma Center has been DE-DESIGNATED.

Effective immediately, Montefiore – New Rochelle Hospital is not to be considered an appropriate destination for patients meeting the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Field Trauma Decision Scheme criteria for trauma center transport.

Please remember that this facility is still a NYS designated Stroke Center and remains a 9-1-1 receiving hospital with regional On-Line Medical Control (OLMC) privileges.

Interesting development. I would be very surprised if this was an oversight by Monte. It must have been done on purpose, but I wonder why. Monte in the Bronx is not a trauma center, so it would not be to funnel lower Westchester trauma to that ER.

Anyone have any REAL factual insight as to what is behind this decision?

INIT915 likes this

It is very expensive to maintain trauma status and it often costs more than it generates in revenue. The new standard is even more involved.

The number of patients that it generated for MNR was very low. As medics would often by-pass and go to Jacobi (level 1) anyway.

Interesting development. I would be very surprised if this was an oversight by Monte. It must have been done on purpose, but I wonder why. Monte in the Bronx is not a trauma center, so it would not be to funnel lower Westchester trauma to that ER.

Anyone have any REAL factual insight as to what is behind this decision?

$$$$$$$$$

Doesn't get more factual than that!

It was part of the Montefiore - White Plains Merger. Trauma was listed as one of the cuts to be made. They announced this in December. Will post their announcement once I can find it....