Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HalfVolley

If An Officer Signs On As An Apparatus

5 posts in this topic

If an officer signs on in an apparatus (such as Car 2**** on Rescue **), shouldn't they identify as the apparatus, and not their car number?

Isn't this just a clarification that the particular officer is responding on a specific piece of apparatus and not independently in a Dept. issued officers vehicle or POV?

mfc2257, EdAngiolillo and sueg like this

As an officer I just use the apparatus designation, such as, "Ladder 1 Responding." If we beat a chief officer, or there is no chief responding, I simply say, "Ladder 1 is on location, *initial scene size up*, establishing Main Street Command." I do this for two reasons: The first is that it really doesn't matter whether I call my officer designation with the rig or not. I know that I am capable of dealing with most calls, and the chiefs will recognize my voice on the radio. Secondly, sometimes the dispatcher gets a little confused, and inputs in the computer that TWO units are responding rather than just ONE. I've noticed this while doing the BFIRS that an extra chief car gets added when in fact that officer was on the first due apparatus (I'm calling you out, Captain!).

Plus, there's always the chance that there isn't an officer in the front seat. It may be a senior firefighter with no official designation. That firefighter is also capable of dealing with most calls, and smaller departments tend to rely on these senior firefighters when officers aren't around.

But, it's really up to your departments SOG/SOP or your personal preference. I understand some departments like or require it because it "officially" places a qualified individual on the scene, but at the same time it's not a necessary piece of information.

sueg and BFD1054 like this

On 12/10/2015 at 6:13 PM, HalfVolley said:

If an officer signs on in an apparatus (such as Car 2**** on Rescue **), shouldn't they identify as the apparatus, and not their car number?

Late to the game, but in my county, if an officer is responding to make up the apparatus crew, you will hear "Chester, ENGINE XX, with DEPUTY XX, responding, crew of 5."  If that officer then assumes a role in the scene IC, he will make a similar notification.

Dinosaur likes this

Down here, the only volunteer Officers who are assigned radio numbers are Chief Officers and those individuals acting as Volunteer Safety Officers or Captains acting as Battalion Chiefs in areas where Volunteer Battalion Chief slots exist. If they are responding on a suppression apparatus, then they are responsible for the position on the apparatus that they are riding, and they assume the appropriate callsign.

In my opinion, using your Chief Officer number to sign on with your apparatus only adds confusion.

Also, most of our units don't actually "sign on" to the radio, we use status buttons.

Edited by SageVigiles