x635

Austin TX EMS Completly Redesigns Ambulances For Crew Safety, Ergonomics, And Efficiency

7 posts in this topic

The ambulance of the future is here. Not "conceptual", an actual in service ambulance(s).

I got to see this rig first hand last September when it was still a prototype. It is awesome, and the numerous and extensive redesigned features are hard to sum up and are going to make lives for the crew much easier, safer, and more efficient. Some industry changing standards on these rigs. One of the first ambulances in the US to be designed with DHS and CAAS reccomendations in mind. I hope to see some ambulances in Westchester going to these trends.

Read the article and see the photos at the link below for full details.

http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/EMS/New_Ambulance_Design.pdf

EmsFirePolice and Westfield12 like this

Interesting. Not sure how revolutionary they are, as we have two (2009/2013) and just awarded the bid on a third that have significantly the same patient compartment. But, it would be nice to see more of these becoming the norm, if anything it should drive the cost down while improving safety. Seems our "custom" specs command premium pricing to account for "engineering".

x635 likes this

I asked our ambulance builder for seats like that about six years ago. Looked at me like I had two heads.

We did a VERY similar design and after a few tweaks, it's worked well for us. Goal was to have most used equipment within arms reach, to limit getting up and out of your seat.

antiquefirelt and x635 like this

One thing I found interesting is that their goal is for the care provider to be able to remain seated and belted while providing care, yet they also incorporate the ability to transport a second patient in a manor which pretty much precludes the ability to do that for that patient.

To me, there seems to be an inherent conflict between the two and that means we should probably reexamine whether or not we should even be attempting to transport a second patient under those conditions.

x635 and antiquefirelt like this

One thing I found interesting is that their goal is for the care provider to be able to remain seated and belted while providing care, yet they also incorporate the ability to transport a second patient in a manor which pretty much precludes the ability to do that for that patient.

To me, there seems to be an inherent conflict between the two and that means we should probably reexamine whether or not we should even be attempting to transport a second patient under those conditions.

That was our answer: no second patient. In fact it appears we have the higher price fold down seats that allow for the second patient, but no actual room to do so. The latest spec revealed we can downgrade to a different non-folding seat. Of course it helps our State EMS dropped the 2nd pt. requirement of ambulances.

Honestly I never liked carring two patients that were board and collar and it ses like those days are gone. The bench seat is nice to have for multiple ambulatory patients or family occompanying the patient. Never a true fan of that especially with critical patients unless it's a child. But with the new design I can imagine more ambulances being used at the scene of MVAs It's not bad looking. Id give it a try

As far as carrying two patients goes,I can't remember which Code it may be in (City Of Austin, Travis County, State Of Texas), but I think the capacity to transport two patients may be required, or was a requirement for an MCI grant. It's mainly there should a mass evacuation be necessary.