Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD389RET

28 yo VFD Lieutenant Shot and Killed at Medical call

7 posts in this topic

RIP.

I've always been afraid of something like this personally, and whenever I enter I try to always make sure I'm clearly saying "ambulance" loudly and several times, and try to shine a flashlight or see what's around the corner or in the room before I actually enter that room. But there's really no way of preventing something like this especially when the victim has altered mental status and a weapon.

So many unanswered questions about this tragedy. First and foremost my condolences to the family of the victim and the agency suffering through this loss.

Trying to learn from the incident may be valuable to others in the future so I have the following thoughts- and we probably don't have any answers relating to the Arkansas shooting but may be able to discuss it generally.

Where was the wife and why didn't she warn Adams that there was a gun in the room?

Why don't we wear uniforms to properly identify us? Being a volunteer is not an excuse and, as evidenced by this incident, it can have tragic results.

How can we prevent something like this from happening again in the future?

The person who shot Adams has been arrested and charged with manslaughter too.

x635 likes this

Years ago I went on call for a Seizure. When we pulled up I recognized the house. As we walked in I saw the homeowner actively seizing laying on the couch, fully dressed. I recognized him as a police officer (and VFF), and thinking that he may have come home after work and fallen asleep on the couch did a quick search around his waist as I was approaching him. I also asked his (at the time) girlfriend who thankfully knew he had come home and put away his weapon. My first thought was to him coming out of it with an AMS and being armed.

Now that is all well and good with a house you know. with a house and patient you do not know there is not much you can do. From what I have read there was no time to ask the wife in this case. Plus someone else in the house may not have the correct information. My wife knows where I keep my guns, but if she comes home and I am already home, she may not know if I am carrying one or not. If she comes home, finds me in need of medical assistance and calls 9-1-1, I doubt she would even think to look, nor would most people.

More and more I am becoming a fan of vests for EMS, although I am not sure that arming EMS would be of much use in a scenario like this.

x635 likes this

Why don't we wear uniforms to properly identify us? Being a volunteer is not an excuse and, as evidenced by this incident, it can have tragic results.

Which brings in itself another set of issues. Some EMS agencies or personnel like to wear uniforms similar to ESU Cops. Except without the gun, vest, or benefits to protect them and their family should something happen to them in the line of duty.