Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Tivo....What An Awesome Device!!!

11 posts in this topic

I love Tivo......I recently purchased my second Tivo device.

What is Tivo you ask? Tivo is a Digital Video Recorder, that records TV programs on a hard drive. You can set it to record any TV program you wish, even set it to record "season passes" of every episode of your favorite shows, and it will even record shows automatically based on your preferences. You can pause, rewind, and slow-mo LIVE TV. You can burn off your Tivo to a DVD (if equipped) or even to your laptop computer to watch on the plane or at work. I can set my Tivo via the Internet while at work to record a program at home if I forget to set something. It has a search engine to find cool shows, and a great interactive TV guide. And it's all very esy to use.

I love Tivo, it's excellent for our type of work. You can watch your favorite shows anytime, and pass through all the commercials. Tivo has a great deal going on right now, $155 for a Tivo box and a year of service. It works with standard TV, basic and digital cable, and satellite.

www.tivo.com

Does anybody else here use Tivo? Besides WAS who built his own.

I have had one since Christmas. It's great. Set it to record shows and never worry about not having a tape and you're right about season pass. Pick you favorites and just record whenever its on no matter what channel. It holds 120 hours (at least it claims that.) I haven't tried to set it from the computer yet. The only drawback, the delay when changing the channels.

3 years - 2nd machine

got it when i moved to central time zone - things are on at weird times here :-)

Would not get Tivo, too costly with the forever monthly fees.

Instead got a Sony DVD recorder with hard drive. Does all the same things as tivo but without the monthly fees.

Also if your cable service supports the format, you get a electronic tv guide that you pick and choose what you want to record.

I love it

Cablevision offers DVR boxes--they seem to be working out really

Cablevision offers DVR boxes--they seem to be working out really

What brand do they use for the DVR's???? And how much does it cost a month? I'm suprised they aren't promoting the program a little more.....you can hardly find any info on it.

Hopefully, the DVR isn't cruddy and problem-laden like the cheap Scientific-Atlanta boxes are.

I like Tivo because Tivo has personality.

I believe that if you build a DVR with a computer and have internet access there are a number of open source programs that will give you a program guide.

Plus with a computer you can burn your programs to DVD (something that is only now coming to market and I'm sure will be bastardized by the MPAA) and you can transfer from system to system (desktop to laptop). I had my TV shows on my laptop during my flight to Hawai'i.

Well Seth--unfortunatly the DVR's are SA equipment. We have had no complaints as of yet. The software is constantly being updated in the boxes so if they don't have personality now--they will soon!!! As for the fee--I think it is $10 but not too sure--it should be listed on the website--Like I said-I don't have much contact with boxes and alike and don't know the fee because employees are not allowed to get DVR's yet--which goes along with why they don't really advertise it yet. They are a hot item and Cablevision is afraid they won't be able to keep up with the demand-SA only makes the boxes so fast ya know. Just like LNP--you can keep your old # with Optimum Voice now--they won't advertise that yet cause they are gettting swamped with LNP jobs.

For the people who don't speak geek:

DVR - Digital Video Recorder

SA - Scientific American - Maker of a LOT of cable equipment

LNP - Local Number Portability - The ability to transfer your phone number from one service provider to another.

#-o :D