Flashpoint

Massive Fire in Chicago

9 posts in this topic

An extra-alarm fire tore through a flea market on the West Side on Tuesday morning, swallowing cars parked on the collapsing roof and sending thick, black smoke through the West Humboldt Park neighborhood.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-extra-alarm-fire-west-humboldt-park-20160308-story.html

x635, vodoly, Billy and 1 other like this

This was the first day in service for Chicago's New Tower Ladder 14, a 2016 E-One Cyclone II 100' which I really, really like. It's one of three delivered, and was purchased using the HGAC Buying Cooperative, of which Yonkers and White Plains have both recently purchased off of.

Here's of photo of it posed with the old TL-14 during the swap over yesterday:

http://chicagoareafire.com/blog/2016/03/new-tower-ladders-for-chicago-more-11/

And of it in action today:

http://www.trbimg.com/img-56df1f65/turbine/chi-fire08-ct0037063900-20160308/1250/1250x703

vodoly likes this

It's always interested me that CFD utilizes all rearmounts and the snorkels. With city street widths I'm surprised they've not got a few midmount towers? Maybe the snorkel squads have the same water tower capabilities, but it seems like the ability to put a tower bucket on the sidewalk to use the gun would be a big benefit there.  

x635 and vodoly like this

I believe they have a few E One pumpers being built too

1 hour ago, antiquefirelt said:

It's always interested me that CFD utilizes all rearmounts and the snorkels. With city street widths I'm surprised they've not got a few midmount towers? Maybe the snorkel squads have the same water tower capabilities, but it seems like the ability to put a tower bucket on the sidewalk to use the gun would be a big benefit there.  

I wonder about that too. Chicago has some very interesting apparatus, they must have a reason...it would be interesting to know.  But the new E-One's are more nimble then I thought. Along with the links I posted in the next post, here's one that shows one of the new TL's set up on a narrow street, gotta love those E-One jacks! Click here for that photo

Any Chicago people on here?

vodoly likes this

BFD2553 and 210 like this

Turrent wagon I am pretty sure that's what it's called It can  reach deep into the large fires

Edited by vodoly
Spelling
x635 likes this

2 hours ago, x635 said:

I wonder about that too. Chicago has some very interesting apparatus, they must have a reason...it would be interesting to know.  But the new E-One's are more nimble then I thought. Along with the links I posted in the next post, here's one that shows one of the new TL's set up on a narrow street, gotta love those E-One jacks! Click here for that photo

Without a doubt, E-One has the best jacking system on the market in my mind. They can safely operate with a smaller footprint than nearly all others. My issue with rearmount towers is the retracted length being problematic on narrow streets. So no issue if your getting up in the air, but try to place the bucket on the deck 90 degree off the side with a  four section 100 ft aerial. Alas, they've been pretty damn successful so I'm sure they know what works for them, just a different view of similar issues.

x635 and vodoly like this