Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mount Vernon's Awesome New Tower Ladder!

24 posts in this topic

Wow, Mount Vernon's new Tower Ladder (57 Truck's City Cousin) looks awesome! This is long-needed in MV, and will definetly see some work and is perfect, will serve them well! Nice job on the design by EWFAC, can't wait to see what the 2 new Engines look like!!

Interesting to see a TL on the new Commander II chasis as well.

Any idea what the designation will be for this truck, and where it will be housed???

Also, I hope the guys invest in a nice ladderboard for this rig!!

Thanks to EWFAC for the spy shots!

Seth,

Im thinking that its going to station 3 on Third St, where the current TL 3 and TL 1 are housed. Im sure EWFAC will confirm this.

Then comes the question: Which ladder will FDMV get rid of? Will it be the current TL3, or the old Mack CF TL1? It would sure be a shame to see them dispose of the Mack. But then again. they might surprise us all and run 3 ladders. (Sure would be fun to see).

THE NEW TRUCK IS GOING TO ST#3 IT WILL BE HERE SOMETIME NEXT WEEK L-3 IS FORSALE.

It is quite interesting to see the tower ladder that Mount Vernon purchased and the one Tarrytown purchased.

One with all the bells and whistles, and one with out.

I would be curious to know what the purchase price is between the two ladders.

EWFAC has a relationship with a couple of used apparatus dealers. We have been asked by FDMV to list L-3 with these dealers to put it up for sale. No further details at this time. As far as where the new Tower Ladder will be assigned my guess is what was previously stated: Station 3 replacing L-3.

IT WILL BE HERE SOMETIME NEXT WEEK L-3 IS FORSALE

I'm not sure it will be here that quick. More likely 2-3 weeks unless something has changed?

The new MV TL does not have the escape ladder mounted on the boom ?

The new MV TL does not have the escape ladder mounted on the boom ?

interesting feature, i thought most departments were switching to aieral platforms which is basiclly a stick with a bucket, the missing escape ladder seems to pose a problem? any one got any ideas on this? and whats with the light bars, seems weird not to see LEDS or strobes now a days.

interesting feature, i thought most departments were switching to aieral platforms which is basiclly a stick with a  bucket, the missing escape ladder seems to pose a problem? any one got any ideas on this? and whats with the light bars, seems weird not to see LEDS or strobes now a days.

I believe the first choice of escape from an Aerialscope is to rappel from the bucket an not use the escape ladder anyway. Who want to climb down a 95' ground ladder? We're contemplating the same move on our new Tower.

I believe the first choice of escape from an Aerialscope is to rappel from the bucket an not use the escape ladder anyway. Who want to climb down a 95' ground ladder? We're contemplating the same move on our new Tower.

totally true i rather rappel as well, but what if your extended out over a burning building, or theres no rope in the bucket or so forth, an extra added option is always good.

One reason for no ladder is these booms float and coming down is risky,

Two: we have 2 other sticks so hopefully that will help

Three: If you notice we dont have much extras on it but we are glad to finely have it .

I drove by Station 3 today and there were guys out in the back learning the controls. They had the bucket in the air and were turning it from side to side. That is one awesome looking rig.

Another interesting thing about this rig is that Jim the apparatus architect from EWFAC, said that this rig is "bare bones", but designed so MVFD could add the "extra" as they can afford them.

In Service today 1/26/05 at Station #1.

a car wash will be held in the spring to raise $$$ to fix ladder #2. The TL TO STA #1 UNTIL THEY FIX TRUCK 2. THE OLD MACK TOWER MIGHT BE THE SPARE AND L-3 (E-ONE) WILL PROBABLY BE KEPT ALSO. A 3RD TRUCK IN SERVICE? I HOPE NOT-IF A 3RD GOES IN THAT WOULD MEAN THAT 3 LESS FIREFIGHTERS WOULD BE AT THE FIRE SCENE BECAUSE THEY WOULD REMAIN IN SERVICE TO KEEP THE MUTUAL AID OUT! "HISTORY REAPEATS ITSELF" WE NEED EVERYONE WE CAN GET WHEN THERE IS A FIRE,CAN'T AFFORD TO LEAVE RIGS BEHIND.

Hudson, take a deep breath and count to 18. Wait I meant 16.

a car wash will be held in the spring to raise $$$ to fix ladder #2. The TL TO STA #1 UNTIL THEY FIX TRUCK 2. THE OLD MACK TOWER MIGHT BE THE SPARE AND L-3 (E-ONE) WILL PROBABLY BE KEPT ALSO. A 3RD TRUCK IN SERVICE? I HOPE NOT-IF A 3RD GOES IN THAT WOULD MEAN THAT 3 LESS FIREFIGHTERS WOULD BE AT THE FIRE SCENE BECAUSE THEY WOULD REMAIN IN SERVICE TO KEEP THE MUTUAL AID OUT! "HISTORY REAPEATS ITSELF" WE NEED EVERYONE WE CAN GET WHEN THERE IS A FIRE,CAN'T AFFORD TO LEAVE RIGS BEHIND.

Hang in there.............we have a plan!

A plan EW? I dont suppose you are going to spill the details of that plan just yet are you?

interesting feature, i thought most departments were switching to aieral platforms which is basiclly a stick with a  bucket, the missing escape ladder seems to pose a problem? any one got any ideas on this? and whats with the light bars, seems weird not to see LEDS or strobes now a days.

these are both cost factors, they wanted a real truck for a low $$$, so you skip the frills.

I wonder if the citizens of MT.Vernon that reside in the area where the third truck use to respond first due, as well as all the new employees and owners of the Commercial Businesses within that 3'rd truck's response area feel the same way about keeping it out of service! You're not going to save too many lives or much property none the less, with only having an Officer and three men on two pieces of apparatus covering that territory, 24hrs. a day. Tell the person trapped at a third floor window at 3:00 in the morning that they don't need that third truck in service, which at one time was only seconds away from their house. Just tell them to hang in there and that the Ladder Truck from the other side of town will get to them a.s.a.p., providing they are not out on a Lift Assist, Lock Out, Stuck Elevator, or Mutual Aid. Let's be realistic, that Department definitely needs their 3rd truck back in service to protect that many number of people, including their own men. Nobody should ever condone putting and/or keeping apparatus out of Service. That Department should be striving to increase its manpower and number of pieces of apparatus in Service, not regressing. Stop consolidating and robbing Peter to pay Paul! Otherwise, maybe all the citizens of the Vern should be advised to invest in Emergency Escape Rope Ladders. :)

Well said 415...and,.....in addition to putting the truck back into service....how about putting the 6th engine back into service too !

Edited by dadbo46

THE WAY I UNDERSTAND IT IS THAT THE RIG WAS OVER BUDGET AND THEY GOT RID OF THE ESCAPE LADDER TO SAVE $$$, CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG MVFD

Edited by pudd1