SilentShadow

Greenburgh Department Going With 5.5 SCBA

8 posts in this topic

Is anyone else in Westchester using 5.5? What are the benefits other then size? How will this work when requesting a cascade unit? I assume the compressor would be able to handle the 6000PSI and they wouldn't be able to share bottles with neighboring jurisdictions?

Hartsdale Fire Chief Ed Rush explains the new Scott 5.5 Model X3 to Congresswoman Nita Lowey who was helpful in obtaining a $484,000 grant to buy the new Scott Packs for the Hartsdale, Fairview and Elmsford Fire Departments

http://www.hartsdalefire.org/apps/public/news/newsView.cfm?News_ID=204

Greenburgh's cascade unit was called to the scene of Elmsford's fire this afternoon so it must be 5.5 capable.

A 6000 psi cascade will work, it is just that you will get a reduced number of fills.  However unless their cascade in new (within the last 2-3 years) I highly doubt the containment is rated for 5500. 

Saying the containment unit is not rated for 5550 means that if a cylinder fails, the "explosion" may or may not be contained.

There is not more air.  There is the same amount of air as its minutes rated, it is just compressed into a smaller vessel.  If they went from a 30' 4500 psi, to a 45' 5500 psi cylinder, this would be a little closer to accurate.

x635 likes this

Pound Ridge uses them. Only Department in the 1-3 to use them currently. They have a newer cascade in house and I believe they have to run the compressor a lot when filling bottles. 

x635 likes this

3 hours ago, GreatPlains588 said:

Per the Greenburgh U446 guys.

Not Certified and not capable of filling 5.5's

Are they buying a bunch of spare cylinders? Because if they're not, what happens when they deplete their stash? Pick up and go home, leaving the departments with 4.5 packs? Or shuttling bottles between the compressor and scene? Which probably isn't that far.

But I guess change needs to happen somewhere at sometime, just hope they are equipped for it.

22 minutes ago, LineCapt said:

Are they buying a bunch of spare cylinders? Because if they're not, what happens when they deplete their stash? Pick up and go home, leaving the departments with 4.5 packs? Or shuttling bottles between the compressor and scene? Which probably isn't that far.

But I guess change needs to happen somewhere at sometime, just hope they are equipped for it.

You can run a 4.5 bottle in a 5.5 pack. So even if they do not purchase spare bottles which I doubt they would do they can still operate. 

2 hours ago, Sattuzzi said:

You can run a 4.5 bottle in a 5.5 pack. So even if they do not purchase spare bottles which I doubt they would do they can still operate. 

Yes, in theory in can run a 4.5 cylinder in 5.5 Air Pak.

It wont be approved, and open your department to alot of liability.

Edited by GreatPlains588
spelling