Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve

Does White Plains have a volunteer company?

11 posts in this topic

Earlier in the week I happened to drive past a firehouse on Robertson Ave in White Plains. The building looked un-kept and almost vacant. However, I noticed that there was a piece of fire apparatus in one of the bays. I then looked inside and saw an engine in the bay. On the engine it stated White Plains FD Volunteer Unit. Can anyone confirm what this firehouse is used for and does White Plains have a volunteer company?

I believe White Plains does have one volunteer company with an old Maxim engine for their truck. However they rarely get called out. I've seen them a march couple of times at the Ossining parade.

i thought that they had just a payed com

White Plains does have a good size volunteer department. They have regular training. They assist on major fires when extra man power is needed i.e. apartment buildings.

There was recently quite a scandal regarding the White Plains Volunteer FD in the Journal News. I don't think they fight fires anymore, more of a social/fraternal orginazation now....if they even still exist.

Last call I know for sure that they responded to was the Propane tanker on 287 in the mid 90s (1996?).

What is the story with the vollies? What is this scandal about?

By the way I believe their mayor is a member of the vollies. The scandal is over 2% money

A guy I work with is a member. Like x635 said, it's pretty much social.

there are several companies still on the books in White Plains:

UNION HOOK AND LADDER CO. NO. #1

FIRE PATROL CO. NO. #1

HOPE ENGINE CO. NO.#1

INDEPENDENT ENGINE CO. NO. #2 (DISBANDED)

EASTSIDE ENGINE CO. NO. #3

SOUTHSIDE ENGINE CO. NO. #4

CHATTERTON ENGINE CO. NO. #5

these companies have not actively responded to calls in years, as someone accurately states they were at the propane truck explosion back in l993, (date may be incorrect). They have trained over the years to keep there 2% status. Last year the majority of the merbership have been trained as "CERT" responders. The Robertson Ave. Firehouse was closed in approx. l969. The rig that they use for mainly parade purposes is a l969 Maxim, EX. Engine 68 and now Engine #210 the engine was rebuilt by Ward 79 in the late l980's mainly recieving a new hose body and painted cab. Several of the companies meet at Sta. #5 others meet at: Hope at sta. #2, Eastside at sta.#3 Southside at Sta. #4 they all have there own meeting rooms.

Lieut2 is almost 100% correct; the only discrepancies are the dates. I must add that the White Plains Volunteers are mainly a social Group (Company Meetings although I haven’t seen a volunteer in the firehouses in years Christmas parties, cookouts, and Bus trips to foxwood). In the past career officers taught any training that took place, Basic OSHA training and there were only a very few members that actually participated.

Last year they were CERT certified by Department of Public Safety Personnel (Police and Fire) and most volunteers are not firefighter I or II certified, at last count there are only two or three members that are actually certified to even drive their engine. Although it does have a brand new paint job.

The majority of their membership are approaching senior citizen status or already there