Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RES20CUE

Somers-Coming Soon

49 posts in this topic

As stated earlier, Somers has a new Engine out to bid, all is in and it looks like the winner will be:

A KME Predator, all aluminum construction.

The body will be similar to the Seagrave's we currently have in service. The cab will have a 6" raised roof, and the seating will differ in the cab (instead of all 4 facing rearward, 2 will face forward). It will have a Waterous 1500 GPM 2 stage pump (as do all Somers apparatus, except the '58 Seagrave) and a 1000 gallon Booster tank.

It will have 450' preconnected 1 3/4" hose, 200' of 2" preconnect, 300' of 2 1/2" preconnect, and carry 500' of 3" and 1000' of 5", just like all the other frontline Pumpers.

Upon delivery, the rig will be assigned to Granite Springs to replace Engine 186. 186 will become the spare until it's replacement next year, which hopefully will be a 75' Quint, new Ladder 48!

What made you decide on the new Predator chasis, as opposed to other KME chasis? And I suppose this will be the first in Westchester, maybe even NY?

The Predator chassis is what KME had written up in their bid package.

KME put in the bid for the new Predator chassis, and the committee had a special opportunity to view and play with it a little before the decision was made. The only one of 4 built, was recently at the Long Island mega-show, but we had a sneek preview the night before in Rockland. It met our needs and I was personally impressed with the low step-in height, and low height of the hose beds. The cab and body sits approximately 6" lower on the chassis then the other competitors and the older Excel chassis. Also, having a 1000 gallon booster tank, we usually have to "suffer" with high hose beds, which make operations tougher, and much more unsafe, in the winter with icing, so this rig should serve us well.

Of course, a big draw-back is the fact that it is "brand new" and not proven anywhere else yet, however the company and their other chassis have been proven in the area, and hopefully won't be an issue.

Yes, it should be the 1st in Westchester and probally in NY, depending on delivery date, and if anyone has already signed a contact for one ahead of us. Another SOMERS first!

To the best of my knowledge, the Somers FD runs over 1500 alarms per year, right?

And if I am correct, isn't there a lot of hills and unusual terrains in this district?

Why would you buy a rig made of aluminum if you are looking for something that will last 20 years? Most rigs made of aluminum 20 years ago are either GONE or rotted! I think a stainless steel body would be the way to go.

My uncle was a Somers member in the 80's, and all I remember him telling me was how much wear and tear goes on. Buying a new model fire apparatus made of aluminum isn't a financially smart idea.

My opinon only - feel free to answer back.

Ladder 48 eh?

Sounds good.

If Ladder 48 is replacing E186 at GSFH, will L18 remain there as well?

And I wish you the best of luck with your new pumper. Let me know how it turns out.

Although I'm a big stainless steel guy, and aluminum is certainly not my first choice of materials, I just wanna add that Boston FD,among many others, uses aluminum bodied cabs and bodies. I was told by a BFD mechanic this was done for cost effiecieny only, it holds up way better than gaveneal, and SS is too pricey. The other benefit of aluminum is the lighter weight, which allows some other options. The drawback to it is that it is a less durable metal and more lightweigt, and easier to damage when struck or "mishandled".

To the best of my knowledge, the Somers FD runs over 1500 alarms per year, right?

In the history of organized fire protection in Somers we have never topped more than 1500 responses but have come close in 2003.

In 2003 we responded to 1436 alarms. BUT, of those 980 or so were EMS related as the fire department runs the ambulance. That leaves approx. 500 fire related responses.

And if I am correct, isn't there a lot of hills and unusual terrains in this district?

As far as terrain, we do have our share of hills and narrow, windy roads, but all in all, it's not as bad as some of the adjoining communities. At least all of our roads are paved.

Now that I'm back home, I can answer some of these posts-

The idea of going with all Aluminum is just what Seth stated about Boston. Galvaneal is not worth it, and S/S is expensive, and for what?

The KME Preditor is only available in Aluminum Cab, so we decided to go with all Aluminum construction.

No we do not plan on keeping our Engines for more than 20 years. Our current replacement schedule is for 12 years of service.

It's intersting to note that both 185 and 186 were refurbed in 1990, both with all Galveneal construction, both with more than 12 years on them, with no rot! :-k

As far as getting L-48, yes L-18 (1989 Sutphen Tower) will also remain there (GSFH). The idea behind this, is that the Tower will respond first due to commercial areas, and the Quint will respond first due to residential areas. Also, with the new addition to the water district, and the new hydrants, the entire first due area of the "Big House" is now hydranted, therefor the Quint could and should be used as a pumper in it's first due area.

Welcome back, Res20cue!

Any word on when the new Engine is going to be delivered?

No date as of yet, but should be under a year. I'll post as soon as I know.

Are you making good progress on the new Engine? Will the engine and heavy rescue be in at about the same time?

The contract on the new engine still has not been signed as of this date. The way that is going, the Rescue may be in before the Engine!

But, as it looks, we will be taking delivery of an Engine (E-185), Rescue (R-20), Ambulance (80B3), and Command Vehicle (C-2443) in 2005! Not too bad of a year, just in time for our 75th festivities!

Hey eddie

Is that new 80B3 going to be another commercial chassis

NEGATIVE!!!

Those Freightliners were strictly an experiment. The new 80B3 will be basically identical to 80B2.

NEGATIVE!!!

Those Freightliners were strictly an experiment.  The new 80B3 will be basically identical to 80B2.

WOW

RES20CUE, you say it's an experiment/trial rig times 2. Now, since you didnt purchase more, I figure the experiment didnt turn out well??? What didn't you like about the commercial chasis ( I don't wanna hear ride, since a proper suspension and right type of chasis can work wonders. Seems like thats why everybody who doesnt have the right chasis with a good suspension says)....is there anything you did like? Just curious? Also, I like the new paint scheme, I hope thats permanent!

The ride is the exact reason. The committee and commissioners at the time did not opt for the "comfort ride" suspension alteration because it voided the chassis warranty.

As far as everything else goes, they have been successful- brakes, engine, transmission have all lasted a lot longer than the old Ford E350 chassis. Just about all the drivers like driving them over the Fords, and even the turning radius is better than the Fords.

The "experiment" was X2, because of a deal for a reduced price for one with a follow-on order for 1 within a year! We don't plan on doing that again, either.

We are very happy with the new Ford E-450 chassis, and time will have to tell. Thanks on the new paint scheme, it was on eof my better ideas!! Believe it or not, I had a lot of opposition to it at first, until it was delivered, even the ones against it, loved it!

The drive may be awesome but the ride in the back is horrible. I really wish they had opted for the smoother suspension, but hey, thats in the past. I'm just glad to hear you guys are getting another PL Custom Type III. Nice rig, better ride, easier to work in, and you don't need a shuttle to get to the stuff in the far cabinets. :mrhappy:

There are a few other diffrences between KME models. The Excel being the older and the Predator being brand new. Aside from the $4,000 diffrence in price, one of the best improvments is the multi plexed electrical system. We were considering that for our new rig but due to the $$$ and our budget for this truck as well as it not being "proven" we are sticking to an Excel XMFD Good luck with the predator--we will have to check it out for our next replacement in 07'

I'm looking forward to seeing this truck-keep us posted!

I'm assuming that you mean that you want to see this "ENGINE", seeing how the new "TRUCK" is not even in the planning stages yet! :-P

BUSTED-Thanks!

I can't wait to see the ENGINE and the TRUCK. We got our new Pierce TL and ever since I have a new found love for the ladder.

Hey Andy, I have to agree with you.

TL44 is a great rig, and I'll be the first to admit I was a little negative at first. It's a great resource, but I still miss the old L44.

The committee went for the Pre-Construction conference at KME on Monday 6/7.

Some modifications were made. There are approximately 50 other Preditors currently in production.

We looked at several of them, NIIIIIIICE!!

Anyway, The Somers Preditor should start production this Monday.

They stated that it should take approximately 6 months. So we may have a nice Christmas present.

On to the new Rescue-

Bids were opened on Thursday, 6/10. Only i bid was received- Rescue 1. The bid was not entertained due to a pretty outragous price and and thier payment plan was not acceptable. The Rescue is going back to the committee.

The new Engine 185 is right on track, we should be going back to KME in September for the In-Construction visit.

Engine 185 is 90% complete.

Committee going to KME on Monday, 10/4

Will get pictures and have Seth post (If I buy him an Ice Cream) :-P

Construction is ahead of schedule and could be delivered by end of October!!!

When 185 is placed in service, ALL Somers Front Line apparatus will have enclosed 4-door apparatus. =D> (E-180, E-181, E-185, E-188, L-18 ).

Just curious what the price was on your KME engine? Looking to get stats to show that our prices are not out of wack. Thanks

$328,367.00- All Aluminum construction.